PDA

View Full Version : SoS SoS need A DM's opinion urgent reply needed

colubragens
09-08-2010, 06:38 PM
Hey,

What happens to a evil player when wielding a holy artifact to kill its original wielder?!
Artifact in question is excalibure. The Dm change the entire story after i argued that their had to be some fight for ego control over the sword. Anyway he then completely changed the events which changed the story ending of our final adventure of that campaigne world!!

The evil pc in question was a magical construct of my friends pc which was linked to him magicaly; but was evil. If the clone died so did my friends pc so My DM and friend agreed to change the story to say my friend was possed by an evil spirit. What am i as a player supposed to accept as my final end to my legacy?! the original version or the created one?!

thanks a bunch

Hangman
09-08-2010, 11:22 PM
I didn't quite follow your account of the event, but your initial question is clear, and I would say there would have to be an ego check. A strong holy artifact would have none of it, at the very least forcing itself to be dropped; some would do damage to the wrong alignment. In the end, it's up to the DM to interpret.

Skunkape
09-09-2010, 07:41 AM
More on the damage portion of Hangman's statement, that damage could also be level drain! Imagine a pair of Nth level fighters, one good, one evil. The good one possesses said artifact and the evil one manages to get it away from the good one. The artifact, even managing to be taken control of by the evil character might not confer the benefit of any magic bonuses gained, so the + to attack and damage goes away. Furthermore, said artifact might confer N negative levels to the evil fighter.

For sake of argument, let's say 2 levels. Now suddenly the good fighter, while lacking his artifact, has a 2 level advantage against the evil fighter, which now has 2 levels less hit points, 2 levels less attack bonus, etc.

There are even some magic items which will do similar things, but artifacts tend to be extremely power full so just imagine said evil fighter grabs the good fighter's 'holy sword' which has the bane effect of killing evil...

But also as Hangman said, it's up to the DM in the end.

cplmac
09-10-2010, 01:42 PM
Our resident Arch Lich and myself have answered this question in the Off-Topic section.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-10-2010, 02:21 PM
And here it is:

http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php/17295-Need-a-DM-s-opinion!!!!!?highlight= (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php/17295-Need-a-DM-s-opinion%21%21%21%21%21?highlight=)