PDA

View Full Version : seeking advice for a campaign name

magic-rhyme
09-04-2010, 11:49 PM
My players prefer that each campaign has its own unique name so that we can refer to a campaign as "Fire and Frost" or "Avaron Valley" instead of calling it "D&D Campaign #5" or "you know, the Ars Magica that Bob runs Tuesday nights this semester".

We've been having trouble coming up with a good name for our upcoming fantasy campaign. So I thought I'd seek out some advice.

The campaign is a variation off the sword & sorcery sort of fantasy: we have very-low-magic shaman warriors instead of agnostic barbarians and rogues (in other words, more like the movie or t.v. Beast Master than like Conan or Jirel), sometimes at odds with evil sorcerers inspired more by Edgar Allen Poe's Hopfrog and Masque of Red Death instead of following E. R. Howard's use of H. P. Lovecraft's Stygia, and a touch of Joss Whedon's absurdist existentialism for flavor.

As you can see, sword & sorcery but not typical sword & sorcery and definitely not the thud & blunder type of sword & sorcery.

Yeah, not an easy thing to come up with a name for.

For a moment, I forgot about the "Fire and Ice" series and almost gave that name to the campaign, but I remembered in time to avoid embarrassing myself. Too bad, since I liked the idea of making the world post-ice age instead of imitating Howard's desert tropes.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Utgardloki
09-05-2010, 02:49 AM
How about "Shamans and Sorcerers"?

Or "Shamans Quest"?

Umiushi
09-05-2010, 06:22 AM
Something like "Cold Iron and Burning Blood" if you want keep that fire and ice theme? How'd the mecha campaign go, by the way?

DM_Running_Farland_3.5
09-07-2010, 10:52 PM
How about "Awesomeness That Smells Like Old Pizza"?

Or. Not.

"The Cold Sun Chronicles"?

---------- Post added at 11:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 PM ----------

Oooh. Maybe I'll take that. Hmmm. Wanna fight me for it?

tesral
09-08-2010, 04:01 PM
We usually end up calling a game after it;s ultimate goal or the Party leader. So the Demon Hunter, the First Undying War, the Foxfolk game. Mumbling Stone was named for the town they started in. The curent game is Seahavek Punk, or The Jet's Game.

I say poll the players.

magic-rhyme
09-09-2010, 12:34 AM
These are all great suggestions!

Well, except the pizza one. :p

Thanks!

---------- Post added at 12:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 AM ----------

The mecha campaign is still one of our regular campaigns. :)

DM_Running_Farland_3.5
09-10-2010, 10:13 PM
:pout:
The pizza one was the bestest one.
Hmpf.