PDA

View Full Version : Druid beastform

series0
08-31-2010, 11:52 PM
Curious how most GMs out there run druid beastform. I've played two campaigns recently where the GM interpretation was that the druid power only allowed you to shift into 1 other specific form that had to be the same each time. The way I read it you could be almost any form of the same size but you gain no special abilities.

Umiushi
09-01-2010, 06:45 AM
"You choose a specific form whenever you use wild shape..."
"Your choice of...might suggest a specific form you prefer to assume..."
"...certain beast form powers specify changes to your form when you use them."

Those statements lead to me to believe that druids can alter their beast form each time they use Wild Shape. That is heavily implied. Certainly, using an Evocation such as "Skittering Sneak" will radically change your form.

That being said, it is well within the purview of the DM to specify a game world-specific limitation to the power. If you use this interpretation of the rules to argue with your DM, and your DM is at all like me, don't expect to make any headway.

Oh, and how do I use it? So far, every druid PC and NPC in my games have had preferred beast forms that they don't deviate from, so it's never come up before.

Blydden
09-02-2010, 12:59 AM
Same with me. My player is currently playing a halfling druid that always turns into a meerkat. My elf druid is always a white wolf.

I personally think a wild shape transformation should be fixed to one form chosen at the time of character creation, possibly with miscellaneous bonuses depending upon the form chosen. Most players probably wouldn't mind, and enjoy the bonuses, since I heavily doubt that very many characters have many different animal forms.

series0
09-02-2010, 04:47 PM
I agree with both being a hard case about one's own campaign and prefering and spicing up the shapeshift in small ways to add flavor.

I was asking more for my campaign than for the other GMs I mentioned.

Regardless, Thanks!