PDA

View Full Version : Multiple weapons question,

Lord.Sorasen
08-24-2010, 12:28 AM
I don't understand what purpose having multiple weapons would be. For instance, why have a fighter learn shield bash feats if his bastard sword deals more damage and doesn't risk his armor class? Why would animals be given multiple natural weapons?

I've heard people talk about the value of both.

PS: I understand the value of a ranged and a melee weapon. It's when you get to two melee weapons that I get confused (minus characters with two weapon fighting, I suppose)

Skunkape
08-24-2010, 08:58 AM
Shield bash gives the character the ability to drive an opponent back across the battlefield, while the bastard sword will just do damage. For instance, say the main fighter in the group is engaged with an opponent in a 5 foot wide hall, if he uses shield bash and successfully drives his opponent back into the room beyond, then more of the party has a chance to get into the combat.

As far as multiple natural weapons for animals, well, some animals for instance a cat, has claws and a bite. So they get multiple natural weapons.

bloodtide
08-24-2010, 05:56 PM
Your coming from the view that 'every attack must do as much damage as possible' from the 'slaughter the world' philosophy.

Not every attack Has to do damage.....sometimes you might want to trip, disarm, or otherwise effect an opponent. And different weapons have different effects. It's much easier to trip someone with a whip then it is a sword.

The real answer is beyond the game of course. A role-playing character would master a couple of melee weapons for dozens of reasons....but a game character just looks at things like damage.

d-_-b
08-25-2010, 04:44 PM
Different creatures are more or less susceptible to different types of damage (slashing, piercing, bludgeoning) hence it makes sense to carry weapons for different situations. Also you might want weapons of different sizes, different materials and with different enchantments placed upon them to increase your overall effectiveness in differing combat situations. Furthermore you weapon might get destroyed in the heat of battle and you would be in real trouble if you did not bring an extra.

And FYI shield bash is not a bull rush attack. It does not drive opponents anywhere!

wizarddog
08-25-2010, 10:55 PM
Different weapons for different situations. A melee character should always carry a least one bashing weapon and a range weapon on their person. I always have a light weapon available in case I get grappled or squeezed.

There are feats for shield bashing that don't negate your AC; so you could end up with a higher AC and the ability to do two attacks if you follow that route. Sword and board fighters tend to be the more superior route than a 2 handed weapon, as that works better for a barbarian who trades off AC for more hit points and rageing.

And, depending on your game/DM, some weapons are more common than others. You might come across a magical Longsword more often than a Bastard sword. That was certainly the case in 1e.

Skunkape
08-26-2010, 07:37 AM
And FYI shield bash is not a bull rush attack. It does not drive opponents anywhere!

Ah right you are. :-)

rabkala
08-26-2010, 07:04 PM
Multiple weapons means multiple chances to hit and do damage. Sure a two handed weapon does more damage on a single hit, but if your one swing doesn't hit... Learning shield bash gives an extra attack, almost like fighting with two weapons. I say forget the shield bash and carry two good weapons! Twink out each weapon with extra damage like acid, sonic, holy, etc. Then dip into classes like like swashbuckler for precise damage or scout for skirmish damage so every hit really counts!

tesral
08-30-2010, 04:43 PM
Shield bash gives the character the ability to drive an opponent back across the battlefield, while the bastard sword will just do damage. For instance, say the main fighter in the group is engaged with an opponent in a 5 foot wide hall, if he uses shield bash and successfully drives his opponent back into the room beyond, then more of the party has a chance to get into the combat.

As far as multiple natural weapons for animals, well, some animals for instance a cat, has claws and a bite. So they get multiple natural weapons.

Cats, five out of six of their ends have points. Something to remember.

Skunkape
08-31-2010, 09:59 AM
Cats, five out of six of their ends have points. Something to remember.

Have a ranger/beastmaster character with a mountain lion companion, he's one nasty feline!:laugh: