PDA

View Full Version : Groups Help?

jpatterson
08-13-2010, 05:09 PM
Is there a forum thread or a FAQ or anything for information on the Social Groups themselves? On what formats and syntax work in the groups' forums, which bbcode-like commands work, and which don't? How many groups you can have, what they mean, where they're listed, etc.? Basically I can't seem to find any information on how to "work" groups at all. Specifically right now I'm wondering if group forums have a command to allow a horizontal rule [hr] but I realized I haven't come across any real "Here's what Groups are/how they work" etc.

I. J. Thompson
08-13-2010, 09:43 PM
I'd like to second this request. I've made my own inquiries about Groups, and haven't gotten any information... not even a 'no comment'. A good, solid post about what penandpapergames.com groups can do, can't do, and can hopefully do in the future would feel pretty good, right now.

cplmac
08-15-2010, 11:14 AM
Since I am not sure if Farcaster has anything in the works for the Groups, I will wait and see what he posts. I can say that I actually only use my group for basically sending messages to my players. Makes it easier to PM through the group since I can tell it to send the message to the whole group as opposed to needing to list everyone's name that I want to send to in the regular PM area.

jpatterson
08-15-2010, 03:35 PM
Interesting, cplmac, multi messaging.

I was told that play-by-post games were carried out nowdays in individual social-group forums, so that's how I'm running mine, as opposed to in the main site forums. It's working ok, though they lack a lot of functions (I can't edit or do much to anyone else's posts etc). The groups do "update" and show up in the sidebars and such though, so that's kind of neat, but I'm just not sure how "buried" social groups are, compared to everything else that goes in with this site.

I. J. Thompson
08-15-2010, 09:34 PM
One big thing for me is that you can't link to specific posts in a Group Discussion. This is a big one for my game, as we like to link to posts from our Wiki. If we'd been given a proper forum on the Play-by-Post board, it wouldn't be a problem (and our game would be much more visible, potentially attracting new players).

Anyway, I started a thread about that, but there's been no response...

Farcaster
08-16-2010, 05:59 PM
I really think that what I need to do is bring back the Social Group forums. It's going to be a pain converting it to the latest version of vBulletin, but the functionality was just too good. As to the functionality of social groups and how to use them, I will see what I can type up for you. Some sort of tutorial perhaps. :)

I. J. Thompson
08-16-2010, 06:44 PM
As to the functionality of social groups and how to use them, I will see what I can type up for you. Some sort of tutorial perhaps. :)

Speaking only for myself here, I don't think you need to go to all that trouble. If I need to do something, i can generally figure out how to do it. My personal issue is with the things that can't be done: wondering if they're on a 'to-do' list, or if they're just not a priority.

Again, only speaking for myself, if I could have my group's In-Character play-by-post Discussion converted to a thread in the Play-by-Post forum, I'd be happy as a clam. Seriously, this site rules!

I. J. Thompson
01-22-2011, 07:28 PM
if I could have my group's In-Character play-by-post Discussion converted to a thread in the Play-by-Post forum, I'd be happy as a clam.

Not sure if anyone in charge is still listening, but I was wondering: I notice that the 'become a supporter' blurb says that if you become one, you'll get fully-featured forums for your group. If that's so, will it be possible to have my Group's in-character Discussion turned into a forum thread (whose posts can be linked to from our wiki)? If so, I'll become a supporter immediately.

cplmac
01-26-2011, 08:40 PM
I am not totally sure that becoming a community supporter will eliminate all of your questions about the Groups functions and capabilities, but it is my understanding that being a supporter would give you the most/best usage capability. Also, I am not sure if Farcaster has finished converting the Social Groups Forum to the latest version of vbulletin yet. With everything else he has to do, in addition to running P&PG, It could take quite a while.

I. J. Thompson
02-17-2011, 05:26 PM
I am not totally sure that becoming a community supporter will eliminate all of your questions about the Groups functions and capabilities, but it is my understanding that being a supporter would give you the most/best usage capability. Also, I am not sure if Farcaster has finished converting the Social Groups Forum to the latest version of vbulletin yet. With everything else he has to do, in addition to running P&PG, It could take quite a while.

Well, I'll be waiting here with money in hand. But some answers would be good.

Farcaster
02-18-2011, 02:48 AM
Not sure if anyone in charge is still listening, but I was wondering: I notice that the 'become a supporter' blurb says that if you become one, you'll get fully-featured forums for your group. If that's so, will it be possible to have my Group's in-character Discussion turned into a forum thread (whose posts can be linked to from our wiki)? If so, I'll become a supporter immediately.

It will allow you to create a forum. The biggest problem you will have currently is that your existing discussions are not automatically ported over to your new forum. :(

I. J. Thompson
02-18-2011, 10:02 AM
Ah, excellent, thank you for the information. One final one - do you have the choice of whether your Group's forums will appear in the 'Social Group Forums' or 'Play by Post' area?

(also, I notice that Discussions now have a 'jump to first new post' button... awesome! :) )

Farcaster
02-18-2011, 11:50 AM
Yes, it is based on the group type. If the group is a "play by post" it will show up in that section. Otherwise it will show up in the Social Group Forums area.

I. J. Thompson
02-18-2011, 12:13 PM
Awesome, thank you. It's been so long since I created the group, I forgot that there was a distinction. :)