PDA

View Full Version : Damage Question

nightstoat
08-10-2010, 09:47 AM
Now I'll qualify this by saying I've not actually played Supers! yet so big pinch of salt needed.

Looking at the damage rules does it happen that, due to needing to double for 2 points of damage and triple for 3 etc..., combats between fairly high level (5D+) and well matched foes go on longer than similarly matched but lower level (2D for example) foes?

(I think this might happen as the more dice rolled tends to even out the totals so it's gets harder and harder to double an opponents roll)

Also has anyone experimented with changing the threshold for doing an extra point of damage?

I was thinking of trying, as a D6 averages 3.5 each 3 or 4 (depending on if you want slightly quicker fights) you beat your oppenent by could give an extra damage point, so an extra dice over your opponents defence dice on average gives an extra point of damage?

Anyone tried anything like that?

Dragonfly
08-10-2010, 10:14 PM
Hi nightstoat!

I wish I had something to contribute, but not having actually played Supers! I simply don't have a perspective on this. I see your concern, though, and will keep it in mind as I playtest - hopefully in the next couple of weeks.

I have another "concern" about damage, although it might be more of an observation. When doing my benchmarks for the Marvel characters, I realized that a character like Captain America has more "hit points" (if you will) than a character like the Hulk. Hulk would have a really high Fortitude Resistance, but his other resistances are low, so he ends up with something like 12D worth of resistances to deplete. Captain America, on the other hand, would have something like 16D. I'm wondering if your observation kind of evens things out a bit. Sure, Hulk has fewer resistance die to deplete, but the high rolls he gets on Fortitude and Armor might make him tough enough for the genre.

Again - food for thought.

Best,

Dragonfly

nightstoat
08-11-2010, 11:19 AM
I seem to remember that Captain America had more 'hits' in the Marvel Saga game than the Hulk.

(If I recall correctly your card 'hand size' determined your hits as well - so Cap was more flexible/competent than the Hulk but also harder to put down - but Hulk did more damage when he hit.)

This seems similar to that concept - which isn't a bad thing I don't think.