PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Warriors

alms66
08-08-2010, 06:07 PM
Anybody here ever play this game?
I'm trying to get a game up and running with a local group of players and I'm interested in hearing other people's experiences with the system and the campaign setting.

My general impression of the system thus far is that it has a very old school D&D feel to it (1st/2nd edition), yet still manages to feel much more gritty and realistic than D&D ever did/could, somehow. The character classes almost look like D&D 3rd edition classes, complete with a list of "feats". Combat feels very deadly when one can hit, but I get the sense that one does not hit very often (based on a few test combats I've done with 1st level characters), and this has me worried that combats will take a long time. I'm also not sure I like the idea of non-random damage (though I could just use the optional rule to bypass that), I'm wondering how you thought it worked in practice, if you used it.

As for the world (and adventures/campaigns), I'm stunned by the quality of adventures that these guys put out in the mid-80's, when D&D was nothing but some randomly-thrown-together dungeon after randomly-thrown-together dungeon, these guys actually had plots and NPC's with motivations. Sure, they have some pure dungeon adventures too, but even those don't feel nearly as randomly thrown together as your typical D&D module. I love the idea of the setting (basically Earth except magic is real and so are the legendary monsters), and think they have executed it better than any other version of the idea I've seen to date.

Personally, at this point, just having read through the books and not having actually played it yet, I'd highly recommend it. If you've never heard of it and want to take a look...

Check it out here:
http://www.magnumopuspress.com/?page_id=10

and the rules sample here:
http://www.magnumopuspress.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/dragon-warriors-rulebook-sampler.pdf

kkriegg
08-09-2010, 01:34 AM
I found this awhile ago. I printed off the books and read through them, pretty good stuff. But alas, nobody wanted to play it.

Kind of interesting how they combined pretty much everything into little episodal booklets. Its like D&D if they had one book with the first adventure, the first dozen monsters from the manual, fighter and rogue classes... then book two with the second adventure, wizard classes from the Players Handbook, and the next dozen monsters, eta. Strange, but it has a charm to it.

alms66
08-09-2010, 04:36 PM
Those are the old books. The game is updated and revised and now back in print. They are a bit better organized now.

wizarddog
08-12-2010, 04:02 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Warriors

The game was mistaken for a fantasy game book rather than a whole roleplaying game when first released.

If the mechanics are sound, then a game will interest the players. While other may disagree, the mechanics of a system matter to me a great deal. It is the main reason I prefer 3e version of D&D more than 1st and 2nd. One test I do is to see if their mechanics for stealth are not delegated to only one particular class or profession.

If the setting is good, no reason you can't adapt it to another more familiar game system. It certainly would attract more players weary of a lacking game system.

Another Dragon warriors site
http://dragonwarriors.wetpaint.com/

alms66
08-12-2010, 08:21 PM
The game was mistaken for a fantasy game book rather than a whole roleplaying game when first released.

I wasn't aware of that. I didn't start gaming until after it was originally released, and didn't hear about it until browsing rpgnow.com one day and saw Ordo Draconis (the Dragon Warriors fan-zine). It got me looking into what Dragon Warriors was and after a couple of weeks of research and thinking it over, I went ahead and took a gamble on the rulebook. I liked it so much I ordered everything they have in print and got the fanzines as well.

I'm hoping the the next two releases, In from the Cold and the Player's Guide come out soon, and of course the next issue of Ordo Draconis. The Player's Guide will fix the (IMHO) only flaw with the system, which is a slight lack of balance between the character classes. After a few more tests with the combat system, my fears of combat taking too long were unfounded. Combat goes very fast, and I really like the separation between dodging/blocking/parrying/armor they've got. It's actually very efficient, especially if you combine your attack roll and armor-bypass roll into a single throw of the dice. So yeah, I definitely don't think the system is lacking in anything and do believe that the mechanics are very good. I agree with you comment on mechanics, I find that they add to or sometimes take away from a game's atmosphere.

Unfortunately, it looks like the gaming scene where I live is the same as it was last time I was in it, if you're not gaming with D&D, you're simply not going to be gaming at all, because that's all anyone seems to play around here. I wish people were more willing to try something new. I love playing as many different systems as I can, but I guess that's just me.

muriwo
09-05-2010, 09:06 AM
Hi. I am a DW fan and I live in a place where there are no tabletop gamers nearby, which has prompted me to setup and maintain the below page of Online campaigns. This may be of use to some of you: http://dragonwarriors.wetpaint.com/page/Online+Campaigns

alms66
09-05-2010, 10:53 AM
Yeah, thanks I guess, since I'm the only one who seems to be liking on the Dragon Warriors at this site.
However, I'm not really into the internet gaming. Call me old school if you like but, I like books and tables and having actual people sitting around that table playing the game. I'm weird that way.
If I were in your situation, I'd probably change my tune though.