PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Couple (m/f) to Play a MMO more like a PnP RPG.

Full Bleed
08-08-2010, 03:04 PM
We have four adults (2 women and 2 men) getting ready to play a weekly game of Dungeons & Dragons Online and we’re looking for 2 others. If you’re a couple and you would like to (or know you would like to) play an MMO together keep reading and see if this is the game for you.
DDO Feature -- DDO is free. The game is free and there are no monthly fees. So, as a couple you’re not stuck paying twice the monthly fees for a game you aren’t going to play a lot. There is some content that you can unlock with a few dollars here and there, but there is plenty of free content to play.

The Schedule:
Primary Session: Friday (8-8:30 PM EST.) 3-4 hours (or however long we can last.) We will play if 4 out of the 6 players can make it.

Secondary Sessions: Anyone can call for a secondary 2-Hour session on another day. But secondary sessions will only happen if *everyone* can attend.

But before you can join the group you will have to make a few pledges to the other members of the party that you will play this game very differently than you would other MMOs:

Pledge 1: I agree with the Primary and Secondary Session rules and I am willing to abide by them. We’re a group and I want to play as a group.
Pledge 2: I will only play DDO with the rest of the group. I won’t create alternate characters to play without the group. I may login between sessions to do maintenance type things (sell stuff, level-up, organize my equipment/bank, etc.) But I won’t actually play the game without my party (i.e. go kill stuff for loot, XP, etc.) The best part about DDO is that it feels most like playing a real PnP game when everyone going into a new quest/adventure has never done it before. That way no one knows where the traps and hidden doors are. No one knows what encounters are coming up next or how to beat them. No one knows how to solve puzzles before you get to them. No one knows exactly how things are going to end up.

DDO Feature -- DDO has Voice support built in. This means that you will need a headset and that you will be talking with the other players in the game (like you do in a PnP game.) That said, you don’t have to be in-character or role-play if you don’t want to (that’s kind of hard to do in an MMO.)

Pledge 3: I won’t cheat by buying a book or using websites to figure out how to get past obstacles. We’re a group. We’ll get through things together. I know it’s tempting to use the net or other resources to get by tough stuff, but if we really come to an impasse we should only decide to “cheat” as a group. Let’s give our ideas a chance.

DDO Feature – Most of DDO’s Quests are instanced. That means that, like PnP games, you won’t be trying to do an adventure with swarms of other groups of random adventurers getting in the way. There are “raids” at higher level where 2 groups can join together to do something and there are some common areas that we share with thousands of other players. But most adventures are generated dynamically for us so that we can experience it unhindered.

Ok, well that’s the idea. Play an MMO more like a PnP game. Show up, play as a group, and have a lot of fun. The real win here is in resisting the temptation to play the game like most MMO’s are played. It can be done! So let’s do it together. :)

Volcarthe
08-09-2010, 07:05 PM
considering it's an MMO and playing alternate characters in no way impacts primary characters: pledge 2 seems like an insane request to demand of someone.

Full Bleed
08-09-2010, 11:08 PM
considering it's an MMO and playing alternate characters in no way impacts primary characters: pledge 2 seems like an insane request to demand of someone.

First, it's not a "demand" it's an agreement among friends that you play the game together so that you're all experiencing the game at the same time. I believe that everyone has more fun when they don't have a poison pill in the group who knows everything about the adventures they are undertaking.

Second, the main reason people in MMO's accept grouping with people who have already done the very adventures they're embarking upon is because they usually don't have the option to game with people who haven't already done it. In most MMO's you game with who's convenient, not necessarily with who's the best fit for the kind of experience you're looking for. But it doesn't have to be that way if you have a dedicated group of players that only game together. I'm looking for gamers who want to play the game as a group like PnP gamers only play as a group. There is nothing insane about that.

Third, if you're playing an alt, you're not playing with your party and you undo the whole point of this (unless you only play through content your primary group has already completed, and honestly, that's an easier pledge to keep if you just commit to one group.) In PnP terms, it's like being in a group with someone that's already run the adventure you're going through. Most people would shun that like the plague.

It's amazing how people who have been through an adventure have the foresight to never trigger traps, avoid ambushes, figure out puzzles faster than anyone else, find hidden loot, know the numbers and weaknesses of their enemies before they fight them, and generally know the best way to get from point A to point B. I don't enjoy having someone ruin an otherwise good game because they happen to be going through something for the 10th time and all they really want is the phat lewt at the end of the rainbow.

Volcarthe
08-10-2010, 09:08 PM
Third, if you're playing an alt, you're not playing with your party and you undo the whole point of this (unless you only play through content your primary group has already completed, and honestly, that's an easier pledge to keep if you just commit to one group.)

considering that you have established playtimes, no. you're playing with your party WHEN you're playing with your party.
you really shouldn't have any problem with having alts if they are just doing content you've already done. telling someone that they can only play one character with one set of people on an MMO really defeats the purpose of the MMO.

also, you've not taken Raids into account, which have up to 12 players at a time and most of which are excessively difficult at half that (unless you've already been through them plenty).

Full Bleed
08-10-2010, 11:52 PM
Dude, you're not getting the nuance of the concept so I don't know why you're even responding.

This is for people that *want* to play a weekly game with the same group of people.

This is a game for people that are willing to play this particular MMO like they'd play a PnP game. In a traditional PnP game do players swap in and out of the game with different characters? No. They commit to the party as a single, persistent character... as a member of a single, persistent party... and they choose to meet on a regular basis to experience the game *as a group.* They don't play without each other. No individual has any special foresight about what's going to happen. And no one morphs into completely different characters in the middle of the "adventure."

That said, read the second pledge again: It doesn't say people can't create alts. It's says they won't creates alts with the intent to play without the group. The purpose is to maintain the integrity of the group's view of the adventures they undertake together. So that we're all equally blind. I actually suspect that people may have a couple alts that are "group loyal" that they might bring into the game when we need a particular skill set (like if the healer can't play one week, someone might want to bring in another healer.)

I can't make it any clearer than that and I'm sorry that you're stuck on your own personal definition of what an MMO is and how it should be played. Please, by all means, play your MMOs however you want.

But I do appreciate you bumping the thread for me. Traffic around here moves quickly!

As for raids, the party would (obviously) have to group with a bunch of poison pills to do them if they wanted. But there is enough single-party content in the game to last at least a year given that these will only be weekly meetings and a casual approach to the game. This isn't the game for people racing to the cap so they can do it all over again. The fun will be in the journey.

Further, not everyone has 10 or 20 hours a week to dump into a MMO. Some of us work 50-60 hours a week, have family duties, and/or other things in life that simply make playing an MMO in the typical way impossible. Moreover, some of us might not like the way MMO's are typically played... or might simply be interested in playing a new, more PnP way. MMO's, after all, grew out of PnP games so it's not that far of a stretch.

Speaking for myself, I've been playing MMO's since the modern age of MMO's exploded with the introduction of Ultima Online. I followed years of UO development until its release in September of '97. I was there on the opening day of the original EQ (1999.) I've logged thousands of hours in multiple MMO beta-tests. And I've purchased and played many of the most popular (and a few unpopular) MMO's from the last decade. So I know exactly what an MMO is and how people play them. And frankly, MMO's have begun to bore me precisely because they fall so far short of the PnP experience.

And while there are a great deal of things in an MMO that will always be inferior to a PnP game, there are certain conditions and approaches that can be taken to better emulate the PnP experience. This is one experimental attempt to do that... and I feel fairly confident that with a dedicated group of fun players, it'll be a blast.

exhominem
08-13-2010, 05:49 PM
Out of curiosity, why the m/f couple requirement? Is this to be a decidedly anit-gay game?

I. J. Thompson
08-13-2010, 09:55 PM
Probably because if it turns into a sausage-fest, it'll be less fun for the girls (just my own opinion - I know nothing).

But Full Bleed, I really appreciate what you're doing there! My girl and I would've loved to meet a couple like you two, back when Star Wars Galaxies was a good game! :lol:

doc_shiny
08-14-2010, 12:27 AM
Hello, hello. My girlfriend and I might be interested in joining you all. I can respect what you are trying to do, and would love to give it a shot. My girlfriend, nor I have played DDO so it would be a new experience for us here. Are you just waiting for two more players to get started, or have you all started already? Also, will we discuss who's playing what type of character before-hand, or let the dice land where they fall?

Full Bleed
08-14-2010, 06:51 AM
Thanks for the responses guys...

Out of curiosity, why the m/f couple requirement? Is this to be a decidedly anit-gay game?

Sounds like a gray area. The theory, initially, was to find "couples" because I hoped they'd be more reliable as a unit. One of the things that keep individuals from making scheduled games (be it for a video game or a PnP game) are commitments to their SO's. Include the SO and you've removed one obstacle. Plus, it's a Friday night game, many people would have a hard time telling their SO's, "Hey, my Friday's are going to be taken for awhile."

I also hoped that they might "police" each other to maintain the "less MMO" feel of the game. When you're jonesin' to play on a Monday or Tuesday evening, it helps to have your partner say, "Don't you dare!" ;)

As for whether or not a two guy (or two girl) couple would be being able to fulfill the "couples" requirement... or that it would have been "anti" anything... that wasn't necessarily my intention... though I won't speak for others that may join the game.

A simple message to say, "Hey, my partner and I, both of us men/women, were interested in your concept. Does being a same-sex couple exclude us?" probably would have been met favorably. For my part, I wouldn't have much cared, though I wouldn't want to spend a hour of the game arguing about Prop 8 on game night (and the VOIP aspect of DDO does allow for more traditional discussions during a game.) I'm actually a fairly political/opinionated individual, but when I'm gaming I want to game.

Probably because if it turns into a sausage-fest, it'll be less fun for the girls (just my own opinion - I know nothing).

Well, in a manner of speaking, yes... I did think it might be attractive to other women to get a chance to game with more women for a change. They're almost always out-numbered by men in RPG's and MMO's.

But Full Bleed, I really appreciate what you're doing there! My girl and I would've loved to meet a couple like you two, back when Star Wars Galaxies was a good game!

Man, that was one MMO that I didn't try and was really looking forward to (I kind of feel the same way about the new Star Trek MMO.) A friend of mine started playing it and was kind of ambivalent about it (and we're both SW geeks)... so I never made time for it. But, honestly, my guess is that just about any decent MMO, played the way I'm proposing in this thread, would be fun... so I probably would have jumped at the opportunity back then, regardless!

Hello, hello. My girlfriend and I might be interested in joining you all. I can respect what you are trying to do, and would love to give it a shot. My girlfriend, nor I have played DDO so it would be a new experience for us here. Are you just waiting for two more players to get started, or have you all started already? Also, will we discuss who's playing what type of character before-hand, or let the dice land where they fall?

We almost started last night with a group of 4, but one of the player's rolled a critical fumble shortly before the game started and may have broken her foot (irl), so we bumped the first session to next Friday.

Most of us have selected characters, but I think only 2 of us are married to what we've selected so it's open for discussion if we're trying to find more balance. Ultimately, I think that people should just play what they want to play though. I'll PM you the specifics and we can go from there.

Full Bleed
08-23-2010, 11:41 PM
We never heard back from doc_shiny, so we're still looking for a couple to join our group.

We played our first session last Friday and had a blast! It was a lot of fun to actually have to figure out some stuff and work as a group to overcome the obstacles laid before us without having someone in the group that was on their twinked alt and running the adventures for the umpteenth time. ;)