PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Useless College Courses in The World!!!

Barry
08-03-2010, 05:14 PM
Top 10 Useless College Courses in The World (http://www.realonlinedegrees.com/top-10-useless-college-courses-in-the-world/)

Wow I can't believe some of these courses are real. :eek:

Sascha
08-03-2010, 05:47 PM
Heh, UC Berkeley has a "Philosophy of The Simpsons" course.

Death Rattle
08-03-2010, 06:38 PM
Okay, most of those I agree with, but there are a number of jobs that you could take with a background in art history. An appraiser, a consultant, a Museum Curator are several jobs that either require, or give you an edge for having a background in art history.

Malruhn
08-04-2010, 07:27 PM
If you don't know how art developed, you will never be able to truly appreciate the works of the masters and the struggle involved in creating a new format. And this comes from a guy that HATES art. As for how it will help you get a job on the outside - if you wanna work at IBM, it won't help - but if you want a job anywhere in art, then it's worth its figurative weight in GOLD!!

I saw a critical write-up of the Philosophy of the Simpsons course - and even though it may not have been planned, the stupid cartoon is a great example of changing philosophical thought in modern America. It could be rewritten with little work into a GREAT sociology or anthropology course as well.

The worst course I ever heard of was from a school that shall not be named - The Development of World Religions - and it was taught from the evangelical Christian point of view (everything is wrong and evil unless it is our brand of religion). It COULD have been an interesting course - but the way it was taught made it totally useless except as a propaganda tool against that school and franchise of religion.

yukonhorror
08-05-2010, 10:25 AM
that's right, chem eng as the top 5 highest paid degrees. Unfortunately, I am not in industry so make low $.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
08-05-2010, 11:22 AM
The worst course I ever heard of was from a school that shall not be named - The Development of World Religions - and it was taught from the evangelical Christian point of view (everything is wrong and evil unless it is our brand of religion). It COULD have been an interesting course - but the way it was taught made it totally useless except as a propaganda tool against that school and franchise of religion.

Had a class at my local college years ago entitled Comparative Religions. The professor did the exact same thing. What a horrible class.

Malruhn
08-05-2010, 01:13 PM
How danged hard is it to stay out of the personalization of this topic?

"Hey, students, there are people in the world that believe A, B and C. There is another group that split off of them that believe B, D, and E."

I've never understood why this is so hard... even if you totally disagree with the ideology involved. A grown-up should be able to speak about others' beliefs and actions without having to add their own spin... especially in an institution of higher learning!

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now... sorry...

yukonhorror
08-05-2010, 02:03 PM
still off topic, but I must chime in another instance (although different)

I wanted to take a class on Mythology. In general it was decent, but it was getting really annoying because of two things

A) How mythology of a culture is used as a tool to suppress women and keep it as a patriarchal society
B) half the class was spent of one specific mythology of a indigenous tribe in British Columbia.

It was interesting to learn about the tribe's mythology, but TOO much was spent on learning on it, so other mythologies got thrown to the curb.

And again, the class discussing how mythology was used as a oppressor of matriarchal control is important, but it should not have been the focus of the class (professor was HARDCORE feminist).

Back to topic:

The most useless class I have come across (and wish I could have taken) was sitcoms. Minimal discussion/homework/tests. Just watched sitcoms through the ages (50's-present).

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
08-05-2010, 02:14 PM
I took a class on movies once. Yep, watched a movie every class. Completely worthless, except that the A was nice.

On a side note, i always found it strange that geometry - an extremely usable math - is unaccredited, yet, comparative religions, my movies class, and mythology are not.