PDA

View Full Version : What about some Super Brawl!?

Volsung
07-30-2010, 06:20 AM
Greetings true believers!

I wanted to run a super-heroic game with my group for a long time.And I almost bought every existing systems!
Supers! is one of the games on the top of my 'It's the one' list.
Simple and yet versatile!

I wanted to test systems as a player first and tried some play by post.
In the end it was so fun that now i'm addicted ;)

On some forums we did some 'Super Brawl'.
Some kind of play by post duels with only two players with rough goals and background .With only two players the rate of posting was quite high.

I'd really like to try 'Supers!' here .

English is not my first language but I'm quite a fluent speaker.
Anyway, Pbp are slow enough so I can cheat and check my dictionnary :p

Volsung
08-02-2010, 06:21 AM
Come on! Is no one interested?
My english is not that bad ;)
It's the official Supers! forum after all.

Simon W
08-03-2010, 10:10 AM
How does this work? I'm interested, but I've not done play-by-post before...

Volsung
08-03-2010, 11:27 AM
From the man himself! Wohoo!

Are you a bit familiar about play by post (even if you never tried?)
This same forum got a play by post section http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/43-Play-by-Post
You could have a look.

Usually there's a GM and players.Rolls are handled by the forum's code.
Volsung rolls some dice
Of course, 'in writing' the flow differs a bit from tabletop games.
The rate of posts can be desperately slow if some players don't have a regular web access.
The whole rythm is defined by the slowest character :)

I work in a compagny where I got plenty of chances to post some days.
And on that "other forum dedicated to another system" we did super-brawls with a single other player who had the constant internet access and almost the same time slot than me.
So it was quite fast (despite the fact that'i m a bit 'system challenged' ;) )

In those duels we were supposed to be both players and GM aswell, making rolls for our character and potentially some npcs.
Even if... in the end, one of the player took on the GM role a bit more.

I would be delighted to test Supers! system with "Mr Washbourne Great creator of BOL"!

If you want I could give you some exemples of those brawls

---------- Post added at 06:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:07 PM ----------

Here's an exemple^^
My goal is not to make some advertising for another similar game, so i'll remove all rolls & rules contant.

As he made his way through the Museums Egyptian collection Curio felt almost disappointed at just how simple the whole matter had been. A simple mind trick on the museum guard and he was now heading home to check on his sick wife and the locked doors held little challenge. He stopped briefly as he surveyed the impressive collection of Egyptian artefacts till at last his gaze fell on his purpose for this visit the death mask of the KAMENWAT. He was about to step forward when something on the edge of his perception made him stop, maybe he wasn’t the only one with an interest in this mask.
So anyone fancy a go against Curio stage magician?
I'll play 'the Specter'
Jane Featherstone was a sultry club singer.Back then she was secretly dating Dale Creighton a brilliant and married attorney. Their story was tumultuous. One night an argument went wrong. And Jane felt down the stairs. Dale believed she was dead and tried to dispose of his mistress's body by throwing it,ballasted, in a gloomy lake.
Jane regained consciousness as she was drowning. In the dark and cold waters, that's when she met that specter and made that pact. The malevolent wraith saved her, and never left her since that moment, slowly corrupting her day after day.
Nowadays, she's a villain for hire.

A feminine voice echoes in the dignified hall.
"Did you lost your way before the closing out?"

(ps:What does Curio looks like? How old is he? Is he famous?)
(pps:Yup she's invisible for now^^ that's just for the 'introduction')
Love your background.

Curio aka Walter deGrey is a middle age handsome middle aged Englishman (very David Niven) he is a well known stage magician and escapologist. Though not a stereotypical hero he can't help saving ladies in distress. He has recently been working for The Ring which is a group of magical types who try to remove dangerous items from the public domainAfter some 'recognize check'

The voice pause.
Then, from another part of the room, the voice continues:
My mistake! You belong here more than anyone else, Magician Curio, master of the secret arts.I guess you too got an interest in the 'death mask of the KAMENWAT'?
It’s always a pleasure to run into a fan my dear, but you really didn’t need to go to all this effort to ask for my autograph!

Curio gazes round the room looking for a hint as to where the lady maybe. (Notice check)

"
You didn't answer the question you sly little fox" the voice whisper with a hint of irony. (I hope my english won't fail me again!)
Specter appears, hovering a few meters below the ceiling.
She pose as if she where seated cross-legged in an invisible chair and stare at Curio with an half smile.(recognize check)

Curio raises an eyebrow as this mysterious young lady appears and gives a complimentary applause.

A most impressive trick my dear but I am afraid you have me at a disadvantage, to whom do I have the pleasure of addressing.

To any untrained eye there was nothing to see but to Curio the tell tell signs where evident, the concealed malevolence, the slight darkening of the veins, the way she had manifested. Be it willing or not this girl was possessed by some type of spirit or demon. The fact that she hadn’t already tried to kill him meant she was either very confident in her skills or more hopefully that her soul had not yet been consumed.

The fact the she not only knew about The Ring, but was also interested in the death mask was going to make this all very complicated.
"You're still avoiding the subject. But that stubbornness is rather eloquent. If you come between my target you could be hurt badly. It would be unfortunate."
she says with a soft drawl voice without an hint of threat.

"Regarding my name.I only introduce to the one i'm supposed to work for, or the one i'm about to kill...
Which one are you?"
She smiles, and point her gun at the Magician.
(Is he dressed like Mandrake ?)
“Well how rude” he says looking at the gun

“I have now wish to fight with you young lady, but I have been tasked with ensuring that the mask is put into safe hands where it can do no harm. A task I must see to completion so please holster your gun and walk away from this before either of us come to any harm?” he says in a more serious tone.

Still holding Curio in one's sights she asks with a chuckle:
"You pique my curiosity prestidigitator.I didn't do my homework... I though the mask was only precious.Why is it so dangerous?"
Let us just say certain parties could put it to ill use and it would be best for all if it was locked away.

If your interest is purely financial I can recommend some very good Saxon gold in a display down the hall or there was a very nice sceptre around here somewhere?
"Oh Darling, that's tempting"
She pauses and her smirk vanishes.
//Let's End This farce// she thinks.
Except this thought is not her own.
Months have passed since she became The Specter and made Dale pay for what he did. Months that her misdeeds follow one another.
Months that the wraith, lurking in the shadows of her conscience, whispers some mischief in her ear. And she's still unaware of it.

She adds:
Except...I always honor a contract.You wasted enough of my time.Let's see how you dance"
Finally she fires
(lots of rolls)

Curio barley managed to dive behind the nearby display as the bullet whistled passed shattering a nearby vase. Keeping the display between himself and women “I really don’t want to hurt you madam, but I cannot let this continue. Piertotum Locomotor”.

Suddenly a rope unravels itself from around one of the displays and launchs itself at the women.
(lots of rolls)

The specter cries out in rage as the enchanted rope truss her up.
She freeze, tried up in mid hair.
In this not much glorious position she states.
"Oh you must be kidding me..."
Curio peers around the corner of the display remaining cautious as he has a feeling this young lady has another trick or two.
"Didn't anyone tell you it is most ill mannered to shoot people".
"Sais the gentleman who tied ladies" she mocks .
"I"m a villain, sweetheart that's what villains do".
Suddenly an antic sarcophagus rush at Curio moved by an invisible force. (lots of rolls)

“Good lord “cries Curio as the display is smashed to smithereens pieces of glass, wood and Egyptian artefacts flying everywhere. etc...etc...We ended the fight 7 pages later It was fun :D (I was playing The Specter)

On another game we tried some cooperation. In the end the other player acted almost like a Gm since his own character was 'out of the scene'

Simon W
08-03-2010, 12:10 PM
I won't be around for a while, but when I get back (Monday/Tuesday, next week), I'll look in and see what we can set up.

Volsung
08-03-2010, 12:57 PM
Shpadoinkle! :cool:

Volsung
08-04-2010, 09:10 AM
Apart from Simon W himself. Does this inspire some players? ;)

Dragonfly
08-09-2010, 12:47 PM
Howdy Volsung! I'd be interested, but I don't know how to use all the die rolling programs, etc. Maybe if you give me some sort of tutorial I ca handle it. Keep me posted!

Best,

Dragonfly

Volsung
08-09-2010, 04:55 PM
You'll see that's kids' stuff :) Just a standard forum tag
Simply click on that icon http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/d6pip.GIF
And type de dices you'd like to roll.
If I type 2d6 i'll get:
Volsung rolls some dice

Dragonfly
08-09-2010, 05:27 PM
Hi Volsung!

What icon? I tried clicking on it, but nothing happened. :(

Best,

Dragonfly

Dragonfly
08-10-2010, 01:19 AM
Dragonfly rolls some dice

Okay, I think I've got it! :D

Best,

Dragonfly

Volsung
08-10-2010, 10:48 AM
Then we can decide the setting, the character that we'll play and enter the fray! :D

Dragonfly
08-10-2010, 11:24 AM
The pressure is on! I'll have to actually make a character! I don't get to actually do that too much these days, due to the fact that I'm always GMing supers. Tell you what, pick a setting and I'll design a character accordingly. That cool?

Best,

Dragonfly

Volsung
08-10-2010, 11:35 AM
Wait? You're GMing supers? Great!
You know that i'm getting quite busy somewhere else!
So I could suggest a character and than you could produce a threat^^ What do you think?^^

Dragonfly
08-10-2010, 11:45 AM
Hey there. Sorry for the confusion. I'm not currently GMing Supers! the game, I'm GMing supers, the genre. :) I have a Champions campaign that I've converted to BASH UE and am running with my friends here in Miami.

I'm intrigued by Supers!, though, which is why I'm interested in this virtual brawl exercise. I *could* try what you suggest (coming up with a threat, etc.), but I think I'm more of a newbie to the system than you are, so I don't know how it'll go. What do you think?

Best,

Dragonfly

Volsung
08-10-2010, 05:05 PM
I'm not currently GMing Supers! the game, I'm GMing supers, the genre
I understood that^^ I just though you'd be more effective as a Gm.Even if that's a brawl, one of the players often act more as a GM.

but I think I'm more of a newbie to the system than you are
Nothing is more wrong^^ I'm a complete newbie and system challenged!

I *could* try what you suggest (coming up with a threat, etc.), but I think I'm more of a newbie to the system than you are, so I don't know how it'll go. What do you think?
Well, I think you *should* try :) I can provide my character tomorrow.(It's quite late here^^)

Dragonfly
08-10-2010, 10:15 PM
Okeedoke, I'll see what I can do. Why don't you submit a character tomorrow and I'll try and think up an appropriate villain and setting. Please forgive me if it's slow going at first. I'm a teacher and have to report for duty on Thursday. The kids don't arrive until next week, but I'll be pretty busy prepping for them. :)

Best,

Dragonfly

Volsung
08-11-2010, 06:16 AM
Great I'll probably convert one of those character^^
http://volsung.free.fr/bash/Overdrive-Bash.jpg
http://volsung.free.fr/bash/DetectiveZeroMark3.jpg
Don't worry about the post rate , life comes first (My future wife is a teacher aswell ;) )