PDA

View Full Version : Deadwood Deacon

Skunkape
07-28-2010, 08:02 AM
A while back, I started toying with the idea of running a weird west campaign, after hearing a podcast about mixing fantasy races/magic in with the western genre. Since the Deadlands Reloaded book gave me a good Savage Worlds based, rule system, I had what I needed to run a in my mind fun game.

I mulled over the idea about how would I get Elves, Dwarves etc into a western setting and decided that the Native Americans performed the Ghost Dance close to the end of the Civil War, but it didn't have the effect that they expected. Instead of ridding them of the white man, it opened a doorway into an alternate dimension, allowing the creatures of myth to come back into our world.

Because magic worked in our world again, it also allowed me to have folk heroes running around. While they haven't run across any of them yet, it lets me have the players run into John Henry or Paul Bunyan or Pecos Bill!

I started the game off with running SW one sheet adventures, was still running my fantasy campaign and didn't want to start the western until that campaign ended. While the characters from that campaign are still alive and could be revisited in the future, we had the final adventure in May of 2010.

June 5, 2010 was the first adventure of the Deadwood Deacon campaign. Why call it the Deadwood Deacon, while doing research on the old west, I ran across a couple of newspapers from the time and thought that might be a fun way for me to post adventure write ups, so I styled the campaign website roughly after a newspaper and I wanted the campaign based in the town of Deadwood. So the campaign title is the name of the newspaper being published in Deadwood!

We've had 2 adventure sessions, running on the first Saturday of the month normally and my players are enjoying themselves so far. If you're interested in reading about the campaign and viewing the adventure write ups, click on the Deadwood Deacon banner and you'll be taken to the site. There's a short, about 1 minute and a half Flash teaser movie that will play the first time you visit, but you can skip it if you wish.

The site is still a work in progress, but the Deacon articles (adventure details) are something I'm going to make sure I post monthly after each session. Enjoy.