PDA

View Full Version : Campaigns / Adventures The Gods of (Insert Undefined Name of Campaign Setting Here)

DM_Running_Farland_3.5
07-27-2010, 07:55 PM
Hey! Who wants to take a gander at my pantheon?
Obviously, more fleshing is needed. I will be posting it little by little.

Hedra Haft-underworld, undertakers, knowledge, farmers, harvest (N) Pre-existent from Nynswit and Rusnan (Death (abhors necromancy and Inse), Knowledge, Plant, Healing)
Ynswit Rhan-Dedication, bards, love, chaos, sailors (CN - Insane, can demonstrate all alignments at times) All-mother(Chaos, Protection, Water, Travel)
Rusnan Qhan-Logic, science, healing (N) All-father(Healing, Knowledge, Destruction)
Dhuraas Sur-beauty, animals, druids, rangers(LN, N tendencies) Daughter of Nynswit and Rusnan. (Animal, Plant, Sun)
Empirat Ne-war, law, patriotism, bards, paladins, fighters, (LG) Son of Nynswit and Rusnan (Law, Strength, War, Good)
Arte Finel-war, family, revelry, protection, fighters, rogues, diplomats (CG) Son of Nynswit and Rusnan (War, Trickery, Protection, Chaos)
Efter Helt-beauty, fertility, good, light, druids (NG) consort of Empirat (Sun, Good, Healing)
Anknyt Hres-magic, the stars, wizards, sages (NG) consort of Arte (Magic, Air, Knowledge)
Bilade Il-retribution, fanaticism, hate, desert, assassins, wizards (NE) brother of Rusnan (Sun, Destruction, Magic, Fire)
Inse Hus-necromancy, war, domination, blackguards, necromancers (LE) Estranged daughter of Hedra, sometime lover of Bilade (Death, Evil, War, Law)
More to come.

Hedra predates the other gods and legend has it that she will collect the essences of all the other gods as they die and become more powerful. Some say that she even begat Nynswit and Rusnan with the idea of devouring their essence in the end, thereby having the power to balance the world.
Nynswit gave too much of her essence in the birthing of the world and since then has never been the same.

Malruhn
07-28-2010, 02:52 PM
Why is Inse Has the patron of both war AND necromancers? The combination seems strange, as war is about passion and anger, and necro is all about death and undeath. War isn't always seen as about death - deities of war nearly always thrive on the CONTINUED battle - not actually winning or losing.

My only other concerns are a couple of the actual names... like Blade II and Nitwit Ron. Sorry, but my inner 12-year old likes to take obvious strange names and see the possible party hilarity involved. Blade and Nitwit are pretty obvious. Sorry.

DM_Running_Farland_3.5
07-28-2010, 09:53 PM
I welcome your help at our group, Aushalt Play Testing. But I am taking down all the information on here.

DM_Running_Farland_3.5
07-29-2010, 11:40 AM
Deleting these posts for secrecy. Please join Aushalt Play Testing to help develop and design my campaign.

Malruhn
07-29-2010, 03:06 PM
Any misgivings are gone with war/necro. Considering war as evil and domineering makes sense - and for this I applaud you.

Secondary question - do you have a deity of righteous combat and fair competition to counter this?

DM_Running_Farland_3.5
07-29-2010, 08:28 PM
Deleting these posts for secrecy. Please join Aushalt Play Testing to help develop and design my campaign.

DM_Running_Farland_3.5
07-30-2010, 10:48 AM

Malruhn
07-30-2010, 12:42 PM
I like this. Followers (read: Paladins/Knights) have the option to be devious, chivalrous, or taking it overboard to "lawful stupid" in their efforts to uphold their diety's ideals. Empirate Ne's pathos can be used to allow followers to be sneaky to get the greater good accomplished - or straight up "knightly" or try to enforce good at all costs to counter what Mom and Dad do/have done. This also allows for HUGE shifts in policy when new church leaders take over (i.e.: Pope)... much to the consternation of the followers.

VERY nice!!! My only suggeston would be to up the tithe amount to allow for grander chapels and cathedrals, so they can show the world their might and how law truly overlooks the entire world... but it's only a suggestion.

And the only reason I asked about Nitwit and the necro/war, is that I've seen too many folks that create pantheons and partner "Deity of puppies, kitties and disembowelment" because it sounds neat - and for no other reason. You've thought beyond that - and it works.

And, although it doesn't matter a damn since I'll never play in your campaign, I also approve of changing Nitwit's name.

DM_Running_Farland_3.5
07-30-2010, 10:07 PM

Malruhn
07-31-2010, 11:19 AM
I see the possibility of deviousness in his attempts to counter uncaring or insane foes, and his frustration in dealing with those situations.

Think of what God/Clarence did to George Bailey in the Christmas classic, "It's a Wonderful Life" - pretty devious ideas to counter George's uncaring surroundings and his growing "insanity."

The way you wrote it above left me to believe that perhaps the "greater good" could be served by this tactic. Granted, it would be rare, but I see it as a possible option for some.

Good call on the tithing.

Silly question, what's His attitude on healing magics and resurrection? Is rezzing "noble" and "fair," or is it a possible unfair advantage? I started asking this question after I did research on the Norse Mythos and found that Odin detested all healings and the entire pantheon would never consider resurrection as it wasn't "natural" and may rob a noble warrior of his proper place in Valhalla.

DM_Running_Farland_3.5
07-31-2010, 04:24 PM

DM_Running_Farland_3.5
08-03-2010, 01:25 PM

DM_Running_Farland_3.5
08-03-2010, 10:04 PM

Malruhn
08-04-2010, 06:02 PM
She's WAY cool. The ONLY flavor thing I might question is that she uses a dire flail as a favored weapon. Flails tend to be a bit "chaotic" in how they operate... and in my nice, neat, linear manner of thinking, she may be more prone to use a more "controllable" weapon like a morning star or mace (or sword/spear/whatever).

The one thing I do question is the strict law against "murder" but allowing and even promoting assassination as a necessary tool. I would suggest that there be some very strict rules about it (like that you can only "murder" an unarmed/innocent person, and if the target is armed/armored they cannot be thought of as "innocent" - allowing the assassination). This is similar to modern religions that ban murder, but make similar justifications to allow the killing of non-believers.

All in all, VERY nice.

DM_Running_Farland_3.5
08-04-2010, 10:47 PM

Malruhn
08-05-2010, 12:23 AM
Crap - I just lost an entire post due to a huge storm...

I would recommend a huge morning star - a huge, GOLDEN morning star. They are big, bad-arsed, and make a pretty pink mist when they hit. It can also represent a "sunburst" which could be her holy symbol - representing the unwavering flame of the sun, from which the weak are scoured from the battlefield. (insert evil laugh here!).

As to the murder/assassination thing - I have problems with banning the masses from murder, but allowing full-fledged assassination for the clergy. I propose the following:
Murder of innocents is banned - for all. The use of assassination of those who are "ready" for it (armed and armored) can be wholly supported for everyone. To kill a "civilian" is useless and wasteful, and is therefore termed "murder." To use assassination against an armed and armored foe is bold and brave - and is a valid battle tactic. If you don't succeed, the target may end up attacking and battling you! It could be seen in the same light as targeting the weak spot in a monster's armor. Anyone can use the tactic - but the masses very rarely would try it, due to the possibility of getting their brains bashed in. It's easily justifiable!

But maybe it's because I've spent so much time studying religion and hanging around lawyers...

DM_Running_Farland_3.5
08-05-2010, 08:12 AM
Posted on the group site so that not everyone can read the guts of my campaign unless they want to help.