PDA

View Full Version : The Best Gameworld?

Frontline
03-08-2007, 02:22 PM
What do you think? I like the setting but I know others who dislike the idea of playing one of the monsters.

PhishStyx
03-08-2007, 11:16 PM
I kinda like the whole playing monsters thing. I'm not a huge White Wolf fan, but I'm ok playing monstrous semi-good guy types.

Moritz
03-09-2007, 08:37 AM
Yeah, playing Monsters rocks. Just the other day I was dressed up in a Godzilla suit stomping through a kid's playland. Barbie got her face smashed into the dirt. There was nothing GI Joe could do about it either.

Ed Zachary
04-16-2007, 10:53 AM
Since White Wolf killed off Vampire and went towards their Camarilla LARP, have they considered giving character points to participants that bathed regularly (minimum of once per month).

I tried out three different LARPS, and all were dominated by social misfits that had never seen a bar of soap.

Vampire and Mage were good games, but they killed them off.

Digital Arcanist
04-16-2007, 02:49 PM
I take it you are over 30 right Ed? Most role-players under 25 don't bathe regularly. Somewhere in the last decade or so, parents and educators have failed in their duty to teach proper hygiene to our youth.

White Wolf games seem to just attract social misfits, probably due to the insurgience of the popularity of being a goth or emo kid. I loved playing Mage, Vampire, and Werewolf but stopped playing because of the people who dressed as their characters....all the time, 24/7....365 a year....

Ed Zachary
04-16-2007, 07:18 PM
I take it you are over 30 right Ed? Most role-players under 25 don't bathe regularly. Somewhere in the last decade or so, parents and educators have failed in their duty to teach proper hygiene to our youth.

White Wolf games seem to just attract social misfits, probably due to the insurgience of the popularity of being a goth or emo kid. I loved playing Mage, Vampire, and Werewolf but stopped playing because of the people who dressed as their characters....all the time, 24/7....365 a year....

I guess it all depends on the individuals. I was never a hard core gamer, we did so as a diversion. My core group in college were people who I would not feel ashamed of when out partying at a chick club. We all had girlfriends. After college some of that group left and we found new people. But they all had jobs, were well educated, socially functional, and hygenically proper.

I knew of the hard core gamers, some lived to LARP. They would play almost every day, stink to high hell, and could not role play because they had no life experiences. Well, some did make good Nosferatu. And yeah, I'm in my 40s.

gdmcbride
04-17-2007, 12:18 AM
Vampire and Mage were good games, but they killed them off.

Vampire and Mage aren't dead. Dude, there are 57 seperate Vamp items and 32 Mage items for sale in the online store, with multiple upcoming releases scheduled for each line. That is hardly 'dead'. 'Thriving' would be a better descriptor for the lines.

If you are referring to the old WoD, well yes, that is dead. Dead in the sense that it is getting no new releases, but very much alive in the sense that people are still playing it and the books are (mostly) pretty easy to find.

But honestly, the world needed a reboot. You may not like all the decisions they made with the nWoD (I know I don't), but one can hardly argue that the oWoD needed a breath of fresh air.

Gary

Ed Zachary
04-17-2007, 09:00 AM
We played more Dark Ages than Masquerade. Most of us were big on history and not goth clubbers. I've actually visited most of the cities in the Transylvania series, and had lived in Budapest for three years.

I enjoyed playing Sabbat characters, and at times role played in Spanish. My Hungarian wasn't that good, but I could throw in a few lines for effect.

Digital Arcanist
04-17-2007, 03:21 PM
I enjoyed playing a Lasombra who worked behind the scenes. Usually I was pretty ancient so I learned a spot of Latin to appear authentic. It was hilarious to ask the guy at Borders for book on Latin. He kept telling me that no one spoke Latin anymore but I ended up finding quite a selection of books at Borders.

Deathworm22
04-28-2007, 02:41 PM
What is Vampire and Mage? Can i have some links?

Farcaster
04-28-2007, 09:37 PM
Vampire: The Requiem (http://www.white-wolf.com/vampire/index.php?line=intro) and Mage: The Awakening (http://www.white-wolf.com/mage/index.php?line=intro), both of which are part of the World of Darkness (http://www.white-wolf.com/worldofdarkness/index.php?line=intro) by White Wolf.

Deathworm22
04-28-2007, 10:16 PM
Thanks!

Digital Arcanist
04-29-2007, 12:03 PM
Don't forget Changeling the Dreaming, Werewolf the Apocalypse, and Mummy

All the super-cool kids play Changeling......just don't get too banal.....

rabkala
08-25-2007, 09:06 PM
Most role-players under 25 don't bathe regularly. Somewhere in the last decade or so, parents and educators have failed in their duty to teach proper hygiene to our youth.

Is that why I don't fit in with them, I thought it was because I'm nearly 40? I love goth and emo ! Goth chicks rock hard!!!!! Does anyone know of a oderant I could use? That way I could keep my job which I need to bathe for, and then get smelly to hang with the cool kids at night.

Jonas Boggs
08-27-2007, 09:03 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/Paladin_20XX/mi17.gif

MortonStromgal
10-17-2007, 06:51 PM
Personaly of the monsters I like Requiem because I love vampire myth (even modern Ann Rice, though I had a real WTF moment when it first came out). So to me the point of V:TM or V:TR has always been a internal struggle to stay human. A metaphore for life, despite the bad in you try to be a good person only exasterbated. The new edition goes back to the 1e edition in terms of you are a beast and less of the gothpunk. However I recommed if you go with Vampire you change the way preditors taint works. While having preditors go to fight or flight on first meeting is cool it just doesn't work well in an RPG. The most common change I hear is its not automaticaly on you can choose to turn the ability on. Vampire and Werewolf are much easier to grasp mechanicaly than Mage to. Mage you can do anything you can think of, there just might be an insane amount of successes you need to do it. It takes awhile to grasp but Mage is probably my second favorite of the new stuff. Also Requiem for Rome should be out before the end of the year. Vampires (to me) are much better in a pre-modern society, because you dont have to deal with things like phone cameras.

Grinnen Baeritt
10-19-2007, 06:23 PM
I quite liked the ideas used in the whole "World of Darkness" setting, with Vampire, Mages, Werewolves, Changlings and Ghosts (WRAITH!) all existing in the same setting....

Trouble is I found the players (those in Vampire and Mage more so than the others) tended to feel the need for there characters to be uber-cool and in truth found them just so irratating that playing the game became a chore. Guys, there is nothing cool about dressing in long leather coats and dark glasses inside on a hot summers day..:rolleyes:

Wraith and Changling (the least played) on the other hand had some really challenging role-playing backgrounds.

PhishStyx
10-19-2007, 10:25 PM
I've heard similar problems from other sources. I, personally, have only played Vampire with 2 groups. The first was a one-shot, and I barely even got an impression of the game from it. The other was a 2 year cold war (that quickly turned into a hot war at the end) set in Philadelphia that used a lot of the political atmosphere of the Vampire game, but very little of the snobbishness that seems too often plagues other V:tM groups because the Storyteller was doing his game in a much more D&D-ish adventuring style, where we had interesting things to do rather the standard soap opera stuff that seems to get played.

MortonStromgal
10-22-2007, 12:15 PM
I've heard similar problems from other sources. I, personally, have only played Vampire with 2 groups. The first was a one-shot, and I barely even got an impression of the game from it. The other was a 2 year cold war (that quickly turned into a hot war at the end) set in Philadelphia that used a lot of the political atmosphere of the Vampire game, but very little of the snobbishness that seems too often plagues other V:tM groups because the Storyteller was doing his game in a much more D&D-ish adventuring style, where we had interesting things to do rather the standard soap opera stuff that seems to get played.

Thats a common problem, I recommend finding people you like then playing Vampire. Looking for Vampire groups gets you everything! From people who just want to play Evil to Evil Superheros to we LARP at the table. Looking for Vampire players (with one exception - ironically in that case though I put the add for a Vampire game on a Shadowrun board) has always turned out bad for me.

teckno72
06-01-2008, 01:05 AM
Mage and vampire were the best in college, though we played almost everything out for White Wolf. We didn't have the hygiene problems, I'm glad to say. Later, when I went to work, my players and I (the games were always a diversion/social get-together type thing) like to play TECHNOCRACY characters. That was the most fun. I really enjoyed Trinity too, but that's probably for another forum. ;)

Tamerath
06-02-2008, 10:00 AM
Ravenloft for me :) though I would have liked to have tried Al-Quadim but bought my first book when the rest were going out of print.

Webhead
06-02-2008, 04:10 PM
Ravenloft for me :) though I would have liked to have tried Al-Quadim but bought my first book when the rest were going out of print.

I have a bunch of the Al-Qadim supplements and boxed sets but I've never played it. It always seemed like it would be a refreshingly unique setting, but I just never found a group that I could pitch it to.

Tamerath
06-02-2008, 05:45 PM
lol...yeah I know what you mean. I never tried Dark Sun or Spelljammer either..and I remember my sister got excited and she was going to attempt to DM a game of Spelljammer and she fell into my same boat...got a boxed set but it wasn't the one with the core rules of Spelljammer and she looked for it....all out of print. lol I tend to like refreshing settings like those that took me somewhere else in my campaigns.

Webhead
06-02-2008, 10:50 PM
I rather liked Dark Sun for the most part...and I actually got to play/DM within the setting more than a few times. I only ever had the core boxed set for the game though. Never had any of the supplements.

Tamerath
06-03-2008, 12:19 PM
Anyone ever try Abberant by White Wolf? I bought up a bunch of books during a clearance they were having...and I liked what I saw but couldn't sell my group on it? How was it in play? Because it seemed like a really rich setting.