PDA

View Full Version : Ki Strike Alpha Testing

htrajan
07-20-2010, 03:37 PM
Hey folks,

I'm looking for some people to help me test (and of course provide feedback on) a system I'm writing. The sessions will be on Saturdays (time TBD). I need exactly 5 people (currently 4 slots remaining) who will each play a pre-generated character. You can find the current rules and all 5 pregenerated characters on this Scribd document (http://www.scribd.com/doc/27811641/Player-Quick-Start?secret_password=1ktprqs7v0s5rnui2004). If interested, please reply here or send me a PM. If you would like to specify which character you'd prefer to play, please reply to the thread so others can see that you've chosen. I require people who intend to join to be generally committed to playing. An absence once in a while is fine, and if you let me know in advance, that will make my job easier.

Thanks in advance,

-HT

p.s. On an important note, the system has already gone through some initial stability testing and I suspect that from here on out any tweaks should be fairly minor.

htrajan
07-21-2010, 11:15 PM
okay, I'm not getting any bites so let me address some concerns you might have:

1) It's an Alpha Test, therefore it's like a job and not meant to be fun.
-This isn't true. While I will ask you to briefly evaluate the system and setting and provide some feedback, the amount I will desire is very minimal. Typically, you will just voice your opinions during the course of the sessions and I will take notes.

2) It's an Alpha Test, so the rules can change at any time, as can my character's stats; it will be too hard to keep track of everything.
-Before each session, I will test each encounter extensively on my own using tactics I would typically expect from the PC party in order to make sure the encounter isn't broken. It is highly unlikely that anything will change during the course of the session, and if it does, I will give ample notice (in the case of a rules change) or change the maptool tokens myself (in the case of a stats change). During each combat encounter all you should really be worrying about are the tactics you will use to complete it.

3) It's an entirely new ruleset, and it will take hours for me to learn.
-This is also a myth. Reading through and understanding the rules packet will only take about 15 minutes. Furthermore, the first session will include a painless tutorial of the rules, and pretty much everything will be handled by maptool. (i.e. you just have to click the "attack" macro button and not worry about how the attack is calculated)

If you are on the fence about joining and have any other concerns, please contact me, and I will do my best to give you an honest answer. Yes this is an alpha test but it is by no means meant to emphasize "testing" over having fun.

Death Rattle
07-22-2010, 03:36 PM
well I have a game later that day but I dont even leave for it until 2pm my time, if your game lasts 3 hours or so, sure ill try a new system.

kkriegg
07-23-2010, 12:27 AM
You might have more luck if you told us about the setting, the characters, eta.

htrajan
07-23-2010, 12:17 PM
As this is still in development, I don't have much in the way of documentation for the setting, but basically you're looking at feudal Japan with some mana (or Ki) punk in it. So basically, you'll typically have a feudal lord whom you report to for missions and such and generally these missions will be carried out for the betterment of the clan that feudal lord heads up. Or you may fight alongside other clans against a common enemy (ie an army of Oni warriors). As for characters, the Samurai, Ninja and Monk should hopefully be self-explanatory from whatever you know about feudal Japan. Think of the Elementalist as a Bender from Avatar: The Last Airbender and the sage as your typical healing caster who also buffs and has fear abilities etc. This is just a very general description but once I have a player base, I will go into more detail on the setting I will be using for the test and the circumstances behind it, roleplay and otherwise. Also, the 2 pm time is only tentative and if some other time works better then let me know. If you have any more questions, please let me know.

htrajan
07-25-2010, 10:59 PM
Note: I modified the time to Saturdays, TBD. Also, if there is enough interest, I can extend this beyond 5 weeks if you're looking for something more long term. It seems I might have scared people away by saying I "harshly" condemn absences, so I've rephrased that to say I appreciate commitment and it will make things easier for me if you notify me before an absence, which is more befitting to my expectations. Furthermore, I realize I also need to test how easy it is for beginners to pick up this system so I waived the experienced player requirement as well.

htrajan
07-28-2010, 03:42 PM
Notice: only 1 spot left! If you want it, reply and pick either the Elementalist or Ninja pregens.