PDA

View Full Version : help building a pc

frazierja
07-18-2010, 08:56 PM
im dming a game for 1 player and needed help setting up a concept for him. what im wanting to do is to beef up his character. i was making the pc either a child of a god, or making him a chosen of the god. i want to beef him up, but ive never done this before and dont want to overdo it. what would you suggest?

TheDarkestOfAngels
07-19-2010, 02:10 PM
Baldur's gate for the PC did something like this. It essentially gave the PC minor spell-like abilities he or she could use (what they were depended greatly on the character's alignment) but that was basically it.

In reality, you really don't need to do anything - being an adventurer already implies that this character is on a higher curve than your everyday man and has the possibility to reach legendary powers that are beyond the vast majority of human capability (which measurably begins around 8th level or so).

If you chose to, you could say that the possibility that can reach these heights of power means they have the blood of the divine within them.

If you still want to do more, there isn't a lot you need to do, but if you have a specific god in mind to be related to the PC, then you could reasonably choose to give the PC a small but measurably useful power every now and again. For example, if the PC were a human descendant of Pelor, then perhaps the PC can cure light wounds and protect himself from evil after some time adventuring once each per day as a spell-like ability at second or third level. Perhaps these aren't automatically gained, perhaps they are triggered by specific events. As the character levels up, this could translate into more powerful spell-like abilities. There are a lot of possibilities here - just be conservative about the extras you grant.

In any case, it's a bit of flavor you could add as long as you don't overdo it.

Were I to do this, I would pepper some spell-like abilities to the player (like I described above) of up to maybe 4th or 5th level spells over 20 character levels. I might even 'capstone' this some kind of major (temporary) transformation representing the PC's connection to a particular god.

wizarddog
07-27-2010, 02:32 PM
One option is to allow feats from complete champion or exalted deeds. They are over the top. Another is allow to be a outsider type, which in its self, is pretty powerful if non native. In the latter, it becomes more a ECL matter.

Another option is to be playing a monster based class from savage species like an astral Deva, Ghaele, or Archon (assuming the God is good).

That said, being a cleric is powerful enough, they already have a connection to their god. Favor souls do have the fluff for that sort of character but the class is not very well designed.

The issue with a PC being this sort a godlike character is he can't overshadow the other PC's (unless, that is the purpose of the campaign). I have played in game where one player was the "God"...needless to say I was not impressed.