PDA

View Full Version : Exalted vs. WH40K RPGs; Have GM'ing Questions + Hoping For General Feedback

Modmiddy
07-16-2010, 08:44 PM
I am currently trying to decide between D&D4E, Exalted 2E, and the combined Warhammer 40K (Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, DeathWatch) RPGs. I'm pretty hyped about all three games for different surface level reasons but I want to make an informed decision. After reading this mornings (http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=526212) posts regarding D&D 4E I feel confident that I know enough about the game, how it is run, what it's strengths are, etc... to fairly evaluate it.

I know what I am getting myself into if I go with D&D 4E. I'm trying to figure out the same kind of information regarding Exalted and WH40K. I'm hoping that in this thread folks can tell me about;

What are your likes and dislikes in regards to GM'ing either system?
What kind of adventures and/or campaigns have you run?
How much prep time goes into your average session (please note how long your sessions are on average)?
Do you have any gripes regarding the system or setting along the lines of not being able to do something that you want to do?

I would also love to hear any information, suggestions, or overall feedback that you would like to share with me regarding the system on any given subject :D

MortonStromgal
07-23-2010, 07:28 PM
No replies? I was hoping someone more knowledgeable than I would reply but here it goes. I have only played both I have not run either. 1. Exalted is really crunchy and the wheel while neat doesnt really help the speed. Charms can be a pain and Exalted basically boils down to the first guy to run out of essence looses. Combats are long. WH40K combats can be long but can be quick, its all on the luck of the rolls, I prefer it because I like my combats deadly. 2. Exalted - epic heros saving the land from some evil. WH40K average joes just trying to make a buck and not die (Rogue Trader) 3. Not Applicable 4. Exalted 2e is odd, they took four rolls and turned it into 2 for combat but the attacker is rolling all the dice, I would have preferred 1 attacker roll and 1 defender roll I'm also not big into superheros (which is what Exalted is)

Ghostmaker
07-28-2010, 10:38 AM
The 40K games run off of one system where the d10's are a percentile-to-hit system...the advantage being that with one roll, you are able to determine hit/miss, location and damage without having to consult tables charts and such. Its not roll to hit, roll to damage, check your tables, etc. The great advantage to the 40k games is that they can all fold into one another and can give rise from one system to the next; Dark Heresy is more investigative of society and different aspects of the mysteries of the 40k universe. Rogue Trader is exploration of space and survival, more roleplaying that perception and combat. Deathwatch, is going to be more applied combat....its fascinating that each game covers different aspects of roleplaying...with more emphasis on some, and less on others.
Having read Black Library for some time, (perhaps being biased) the 40k galaxy is by far the most interesting setting out there. With many different races, planet types, political and religious aspects, not to mention exotic weapons....and over 40,000 years of history to get lost in...it makes a smarter choice...
Fantasy Flight Games have this terrible habit of thinking about their products carefully and playtesting them before their release...you'll pay more for their products, but it is worth the money for a balanced system, with great art and a quality product that can withstand years of gameplay.