PDA

View Full Version : Dungeons & Dragons—Gamma World: Gamma World RPG Box, preorder October 2010

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-25-2010, 09:01 PM
Dungeons & Dragons—Gamma World: Gamma World RPG Box
Wizards of the Coast (http://paizo.com/store/byCompany/w/wizardsOfTheCoast)

http://paizo.com/image/spacer/5x5.gif http://paizo.com/image/spacer/5x5.gif http://paizo.com/image/spacer/5x5.gif
A wacky, wily roleplaying game of post-apocalyptic peril.

Earth. After the apocalypse. Never mind the radiation you're gonna like it here.

The D&D Gamma World Roleplaying Game offers hours of rollicking entertainment in a savage land of adventure, where the survivors of some mythical future disaster must contend with radioactive wastes, ravaged cities, and rampant lawlessness. Against a nuclear backdrop, heroic scavengers search crumbled ruins for lost artifacts while battling mutants and other perils.

This product is a complete, stand-alone roleplaying game that uses the 4th Edition D&D Roleplaying Game system as its foundation. It appeals to D&D players as well as gamers interested in fantasy science fiction set in a bizarre, post-apocalyptic world.

160-page book with rules for character creation, game rules, and an adventure 2 sheets of die-cut character and monster tokens 2 double-sided battle maps Cardstock character sheets and mutation power cards Mutation power card deck Loot power card deck

Preorder - Expected approximately October 2010

How cool is that?

I absolutely love Gamma World, just not 4E - but that's just me. I do, however, realize that many many of my fellow gamers love the rulesystem, including my best gaming buddy, so i thought i'd share the good news with the rest of you here on pnpg.

Game On!

misterecho
06-26-2010, 04:36 PM
I haven't played gamma world in a long time. I would play in a game if one of our group wanted to run it. but I'm not going to rush out and buy it.

I am glad they're re-releasing it with 4e ruleset, as there is a generation of younger players who have never played gamma world.

cliff
06-28-2010, 02:32 PM
My concern is the way I hear they're handling mutations... I understand your mutations will change after every Full Rest, and you will use a collectible card deck to determine what mutations you get for the day.

I really hope I'm wrong, but if they do it this way I'll be giving it a pass.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-28-2010, 03:54 PM
That doesn't work for me, but the newest generation of players would probably love it.

cliff
06-28-2010, 04:52 PM
I'm really hoping it won't be too hard to house-rule it if that is the case... I'm inclined to think it won't be too much of a stretch to just not let the players change their mutations. I understand it comes with a "starter deck," so I think I can make that work.

I also hope they either modify the 4e character builder to allow it, or come out with a customized version for it, as I'm far too lazy these days to make a character by hand. heheheheheh

misterecho
06-29-2010, 03:54 PM
new gamma world is starting to smell of lame

Skunkape
06-30-2010, 07:05 AM
Yeah, not to sure I'm going to like the dial-a-mutation approach, if that is the way they take it.

cliff
06-30-2010, 01:35 PM
As I said in the other thread about this, this hasn't been confirmed... I am hoping that the information I have is wrong. The main reason I give it credence is more to do with the collectible card thing - we all know Wizards would really like to figure out some way to make tabletop RPGs into a collectible experience. I am not ready to say it will suck until I see if this is or isn't the case, and until I know how easy it will be to just ignore the stupid.

Skunkape
07-01-2010, 11:41 AM
As I said in the other thread about this, this hasn't been confirmed... I am hoping that the information I have is wrong. The main reason I give it credence is more to do with the collectible card thing - we all know Wizards would really like to figure out some way to make tabletop RPGs into a collectible experience. I am not ready to say it will suck until I see if this is or isn't the case, and until I know how easy it will be to just ignore the stupid.

I figured it might be speculation and a dial-a-mutation approach won't stop me from checking out the game. But if they hypothetically went in that direction, I'd probably house rule it out. I'd allow it for first time character creation, but after the characters were created, I'd lock the mutations in.

Well at least until I exposed them to some form of radiation or contamination!:biggrin:

cliff
07-01-2010, 12:19 PM
Yeah, I actually don't have a problem with a card mechanic as a way to determine mutations - although I do take umbrage at the collectability of those cards, but that's another issue entirely.

Sascha
07-30-2010, 11:46 AM
I didn't see anything there about the cards being collectible, in the Magic sense.

cliff
07-30-2010, 01:43 PM
They may have changed it... that was covered in the first article I ever read about the new GW edition. Sorry, don't still have the link to the article, but a Google I Feel Lucky for "Gamma World Collectible Cards" turns up this (http://www.examiner.com/x-6911-RPG-Examiner~y2010m2d13-New-Gamma-World-to-be-compatible-with-4th-Edition-Dungeons--Dragons), which goes so far as to show the cost of the booster packs.

tesral
07-31-2010, 12:59 AM
That dog isn't dead yet? I didn't think much of the original concept, and I have seen post apocalyptic done so much better by so many others. (Yes, there is a copy in my archive)

Frankly if it it is anything like the original game it is going to suck, Forry just adds to the suckage. If it isn't anything like the origional game it can only suck less.

cliff
08-02-2010, 04:41 PM
heheheh... tell us how ya really feel. ;-)

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
08-02-2010, 05:01 PM
Gamma World sucks? Someone better tell the world because we all didn't get the newsflash. :laugh:

Actually, Gamma World didn't suck. It was great for the younger crowd of rpg players. What sucks is that they tried to make it D20. Of course that's just my own personal preference in regards to my individual tastes. I will, however, say that bringing out D20-4E Gamma World is great for it draws in a whole new generation of players... which is good.

I also loved that it wasn't balanced. As with all rpgs, homebrewing rules makes the game all the more... spicy. As tesral is fond of saying: Rulings, not rules, makes a game great - paraphrased.

Mighty Thoth has left his mental signature.

Oh, and for those not in the know: There is another version of Gamma World called Darwin's World that's been out for a few years. Check it out when you have the time

fmitchell
09-21-2010, 09:15 PM
After all the latest information, I regret pre-ordering it. Since I used PayPal, I already spent the money, and the merchant doesn't have a "cancel" link. (Yeah, it's just an e-mail, but it's a pain.)

It still might be interesting. My original interest was seeing a stripped-down version of 4e, transplanted to another genre.

tesral
09-21-2010, 09:27 PM
So what is the latest information?

fmitchell
09-22-2010, 08:57 AM
So what is the latest information?

Pretty much what others have discussed: randomized booster packs for mutations and "Omega Tech", different random mutations every day, the LHC-based back-story (which I could change, but still), some of the wackier character types.

The original articles by WotC:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4ex/20100913

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4ex/20100917

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4ex/20100920

Skunkape
09-22-2010, 09:59 AM
I like some of the concepts of the game, but not sure I like the direction that was taken. Game concepts, I like the idea of the swarm character type! Unique concept of your character's consciousness spread out among a number of individuals instead of just one creature.

tesral
09-22-2010, 10:52 AM
D&D Gamma World???? Do they have to mix D&D into everything? The card deck idea I do not like. Stop trying to mix collectible cards in my role-playing dammit. I do not want my role-playing experiance to be dictated by how much money I've spent on booster packs. For my taste the wrong things are random. I want control of the characters origins. What if I don't want to play a giant bug? What if I do, but the rolls don't let me?

From the excepts read the game is sounding more like Talisman than any RPG. Part board game, part Magic the Gathering Money. Yep, I was right, it sucks.

rabkala
09-22-2010, 09:46 PM
I did like Gamma world as a kid. It was far better than Boot Hill or Star Frontiers (IMHO). Sci fi has always been a passion of mine, but unfortunately most of my nerdy friends are stuck in the dark ages.

As for collectible cards, I want none of that nonsense!!!!! If it is a stripped down ( buy less ) version of 4e, it might be worth the throw to get people playing.

Webhead
09-22-2010, 10:13 PM
Although I am disgusted by the "randomized" card packs element, I have to say that I have been (much to my surprise) actually intrigued about the new edition. After learning that it wasn't going to require any of the D&D4E books to play, I became much more open to the idea of picking it up.

Admittedly, I quickly discarded any pretenses of trying to compare it to older editions of Gamma World and instead look upon it as a sort of mutant-offspring of Gamma World and TORG or Rifts. The sort of game where the entire point is the unpredictability of the wacky powers and the gonzo technology. The "powers change constantly" didn't bother me as I thought it might, again probably because what little I know of the "background" for the new edition is more like TORG (a la a rainbow of parallel dimensions ebbing, churning and fighting for dominance).

I'll definately have to play it at least once to see if it proves to be as much unadulterated, doesn't-take-itself-seriously fun as it sounds.

Otakar
09-23-2010, 10:06 AM
As for collectible cards, I want none of that nonsense!!!!! If it is a stripped down ( buy less ) version of 4e, it might be worth the throw to get people playing.

I could get behind a lot of 4E stuff. I buy minis now where I didn't before and that's okay because my kids like to play with them between sessions. I feel a little insulted by the collectible cards. I do want the good folks at Wizards to be employed but I don't think Magic is dying out any time soon. I wouldn't be surprised though if they add a program to Compendium on Insider to create our own cards. We just need a nice photo quality printer, card stock, chop block, laminate... Where do I get the booster packs?

tesral
09-24-2010, 02:44 PM
Minis are just fun. I've bought a few of the Forry minis and I wouldn't touch the books with a ten foot pole. A miniture is not limited to the game it is made for.

Skunkape
09-27-2010, 06:57 AM
Minis are just fun. I've bought a few of the Forry minis and I wouldn't touch the books with a ten foot pole. A miniture is not limited to the game it is made for.

Here, here! Just gotta look good in your personal opinion!:biggrin:

tesral
09-27-2010, 11:16 AM
D&D minis are not the best looking you will find. the plastic has some advantage over pewter. Transparent and translucent bits for example. I could never paint a fire elemental or water elemental as well as the translucent minis. For the most part paint is so-so. But they are nigh indestructible. I have the lot in a plastic file tub sorted into ziplock bags.

I was disappointed in the Forry Balrog because they didn't use any of the translucent plastic. The other Forry minis of the "huge" size they use plenty of it, but not the balrog, poor call on their part I think.

gallowglacht
12-04-2010, 05:52 PM
Grabbed Gamma World. Played it. Loved it. Will play it again.
Most I've laughed in a roleplaying game in quite a while.

Otakar
01-09-2011, 09:45 PM
Well I got it for Christmas. I just looked at it last night. My 11 soon to be 12-year old saw it and wants to play. I told her she's too young (in a kidding tone) and she pointed out that the box says 12 and up. Guess we'll play.

I'm thinking of making it into a version of Sid and Marty's Land of the Lost. We rented the DVD a while back. My kid loved them. The best part was the commentary provided by the actors who played Will and Holly.

The integration with 4e is handy so I can use all of the dino-like monsters in there. I clearly can see how to use the dual origin characters as Archtypes.

If it works out I'll blog it.

Anarkitty
03-10-2011, 04:33 PM
I never played the Original GammaWorld, but I played the 3.5/D20 version, and I love the setting.
It worked well in the previous D20 system because the system really lent itself towards customization and crazyness.
My character was an AI teddy bear that went combat mad after his child was killed and started upgrading himself with salvaged combat robot parts. He had armor plating under his plush exterior and a railgun in his arm under a zipper.
I can't imagine any possible way that 4E rules could have the same level of customizability or character design. The way the character advancement and creation is stramlined in the 4E ruleset just doesn't seem like the best option for Gamma World's setting.

gallowglacht
03-13-2011, 11:17 AM
Actually it's all about customisation and craziness. The game mechanics take a back seat to the improvisation, wackiness and bringing on the gonzo.
Unlike base D&D4 it also includes random character generation.