PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerer Spell Advice,

Caddmus
06-20-2010, 06:33 PM
Hello,

So I was just wondering on peoples views of spells and what not in general, You see I just joined a gaming group and we have played a few games, this is the first time I've played D&D, We are currently playing 3.5 using only the DMG,Players hand book and Compleat arcane and warrior,

So I was wondering if any one had advice and desent spell selections for a sorcerer,

Currently I'm aiming him torwards damage dealer over utility, soon the group will have a bard and we have a healer so they can do the other stuff, :biggrin:

d-_-b
06-24-2010, 06:14 PM
at low levels spells like glitterdust and grease are often more effective that direct damage dealing spells. That said I would not go anywhere without Magic Missile. When you get to 3rd levels spells and above all you have to remember IMO is NOT to take only spells that deal a certain kind of damage -like fire- as you might inadvertently nerf yourself when you meet a creature with damage resistance. Stay fairly versatile.

Lord.Sorasen
06-28-2010, 02:38 AM
If combat's your only interest you might consider the Warmage... Not sure how they actually play, but it's worth a try..

Caddmus
06-28-2010, 06:40 PM
If combat's your only interest you might consider the Warmage... Not sure how they actually play, but it's worth a try..

Thanks for the advice guys, :)

At the moment I seem to be the groups nagoiator so I picked up talky skills. think I'm going to go with at least one main damage spell per group (lvl 1 lvl 2 ect. and see how I can expand my abbilitys with out lowering my damage output.

by the way, as far as prestige classes go, I was thinking of trying out the dragonheart mage, any one have experiance with this class?

Darchias
07-07-2010, 06:00 PM
There are two schools of thought with Sorcerers. The first is to pick only spells that are most useful when cast more then once, like most damaging spells and buff spells. The second, and my preference, is to select spells that are useful in many situations.
For first level spells, there aren't many versatile ones. Color spray and Sleep are very useful for the first 3 levels, but not much after that. Grease is handy for a long time if use correctly. Magic Missle is a bread an butter emergency spell, even at high levels. In the Complete Arcane, Fist of Stone is a powerful buff spell that can make even the frailest of sorcerers dangerous in melee combat.
Second level spells are more useful. Scorching Ray remains a threat all the way up into the higher levels due to the way it scales up, although the fact it is quite weak unless you focus on a target can be a big downside. Alter Self is, in my opinion, the best second level spell on the list. Some research can pull up extremely useful Humanoids you can turn into and gain awesome bonuses. Glitterdust is most useful for the fact it can hit and blind a large number of creatures in one cast. Invisibility is very useful, but not as useful as some think. Rope Trick is both undervalued and overvalued in my opinion, but can make a very inconspicuous hiding spot if you need a break in the middle of a dungeon. It's not going to be useful as a place to sleep until higher levels though.
3rd level spells introduce the two most common offensive spells, Fireball and Lightning Bolt. I do not recommend getting both, but it might be a good idea to get one. They are common for a reason. Dispel Magic is nice, but unless you plan on making a habit of fighting spellcasters it won't be terribly useful. Suggestion is versatile, and useful if tied up (but not gagged). Haste is a powerful buff, even after the nerf, but it's true strength lies in it's ability to buff several people at once. If there is also a wizard in the party, it's not worth taking. Slow is a powerful debuff and can cripple a boss encounter.
4th level has Polymorph. Hands down the best spell. Period. On other spells, Wall of Ice is a very good crowd control spell, and is good for escapes. I tend to favor many of the wall spells as a matter of fact, very handy. Greater Invisibility is, well, great. Bestow Curse is a powerful debuff, and Stone Shape is limited only by your imagination.
I'm not going to list higher level spells, I think you get the idea. As a sorcerer, your greatest weakness is that you can only call upon a limited amount of spells, but your greatest strength is that you can call upon them a LOT. If all you have is a hammer, then every problem looks like a nail, this is true. With the right spell selection, every problem WILL be a nail.