PDA

View Full Version : Time Travel/Control Powers

urbwar
06-14-2010, 01:31 AM
So, how would you do this in Supers!? I was skimming the powers in the core rules and supplement, and didn't see anything related to this type of power....

Simon W
06-15-2010, 12:05 PM
Dunno - I'll have to think about it. Perhaps I'll have to check how other supers rpgs cope with it. Any ideas yourself, Urbwar?

urbwar
06-18-2010, 08:25 AM
Not really. I've only skimmed the PDF, as I'm more of a hard copy kind of person.

I guess it all depends on what you want to do with it. I like what M&M 2nd and ICONS have for time control powers, but BASH UE's Time & Space power, while not bad, seems not to really cover all the bases, imho. Aberrant had some decent time powers too

EldritchFire
06-18-2010, 09:37 AM
So, how would you do this in Supers!? I was skimming the powers in the core rules and supplement, and didn't see anything related to this type of power....

What exactly are you trying to do with the power?

Off the top of my head, I can think of the following:

Can be used in combat for a defense, since you manipulate time to make sure you're not in the way of an attack.

Out of combat, it could be used instead of an investigation roll to pierce the veil of time and see what happened. Instead of guessing what happened via Sherlock Holmes methods, you just see it as it happened. Of course, any bad guy would mask their identity so time powers can't foil the plot :p

Also, it can be used to travel through time. The farther away from the "now," the higher the difficulty. Heck, that could be used like a movement power. IE, "I should be there now? Ok, look in the bathroom, I've been here the whole time" and travel through time to be in the bathroom when you get the phone call.

Just a few ideas.

-EF

urbwar
06-19-2010, 08:19 AM
I'm not looking for something specific for that the power can do. I asked because the game doesn't currently have the power, and well, it should (being a staple of many supers stories)

EldritchFire
06-20-2010, 11:35 AM
I'm not looking for something specific for that the power can do. I asked because the game doesn't currently have the power, and well, it should (being a staple of many supers stories)

I find that time control is either fully embraced in superhero stories, or totally ignored. It's not too difficult to throw it in SUPERS! so I figure that's why it was omitted.

-EF

urbwar
06-20-2010, 11:36 PM
I find that time control is either fully embraced in superhero stories, or totally ignored. It's not too difficult to throw it in SUPERS! so I figure that's why it was omitted.

-EF

Omitting it isn't necessarily a good thing though, as there are plenty of people who like to use it in their games. I do, hence my asking

Maltese Changeling
06-22-2010, 02:50 PM
I'd tend to go with EldritchFire here: SUPERS! is at its best when it's rules-lite, so I'm not sure that Time Control would need specific rules to represent its specific parameters.

urbwar
06-23-2010, 03:04 AM
I'd tend to go with EldritchFire here: SUPERS! is at its best when it's rules-lite, so I'm not sure that Time Control would need specific rules to represent its specific parameters.

So then what do you do if someone wants such powers for their character? Or if you wanted to design a villain with such abilities? You can't just wing it then.

Also, I don't see how such a power in any way, shape or form infringes on the the game being rules lite. If it can be done in BASH or ICONS and not alter either of those games being rules lite, how would such a power alter SUPERS! being rules lite? I just don't see it.

EldritchFire
06-23-2010, 07:49 AM
So then what do you do if someone wants such powers for their character? Or if you wanted to design a villain with such abilities? You can't just wing it then.

Also, I don't see how such a power in any way, shape or form infringes on the the game being rules lite. If it can be done in BASH or ICONS and not alter either of those games being rules lite, how would such a power alter SUPERS! being rules lite? I just don't see it.

So what exactly aRe you looking for with such a power? I'm a bit confused. If a player wants it, and you don't have a problem with it, let 'em have it.

Same with a supervillain. Give 'em the power at 4D and call it a day.

-EF

Maltese Changeling
06-23-2010, 09:17 AM

Well, looking at the ICONS version of the power (which gives two of the following choices as starting tricks and requires you to spend bonus power slots on the rest), Time Control could do:

1/2. Slow down those around you, effectively giving you Super-Speed and/or Fast Attack (multiple attacks per round).
3. Freeze "time" around a target, effectively Paralyzing them.
4. Place a target (including yourself) in suspended animation.
5. Summon duplicate versions of yourself from other timelines.
6. Travel in time.

If I wanted to play a Time Controller in SUPERS!, I would buy a Time Control power that would let me essentially do 1, 2, 4, and 6 in and of itself. Mechanics would be as simple as "roll pool to beat difficulty X" with an understanding that the "super-speed" and "fast attack" granted by the power didn't translate into distance covered and actual multiple actions (unless I bought the Extra Attack boost). If I wanted effects 3 and 5, I would just buy the Duplicate and Paralysis powers in the rules as written.

This is what I mean by Time Control in SUPERS! not needing special rules.