PDA

View Full Version : Advice on special ops insertion

Fox
06-11-2010, 04:45 AM
Hi there,

I'm working on a D20 Modern campaign using the Blood and Guts Modern Military 2 optional rules. I'm currently writing the last episode for this campaign which will be an assasination mission in Teheran.
The party (a group of special operations operators) will have to assasinate two high value targets, namely: Ali Fallahian (Minister of intelligence) and Mohammed Ali Jafari (commander of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps). The current location of both of them is a castle in the Sa'dabad Palace (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sadabad_Palace).
At this stage of the story the US and Iran are in a full scale war, Iran has already lost almost all of its air force. Since the US is conducting a fearsome shock-and-awe bombing campaign on Iran. There is a lot of anti-aircraft activity in and around Teheran, especially around the Sa'dabad Palace.

My question is, how do I get my special ops group close enough to the Sa'dabad Palace given the fact that the heavy anti-aircraft activity on site, makes a helo insertion or paradrop almost impossible?

Anyone here got any ideas? Or links to places where I could find info or get help?

PS: For political ingame reasons the Sa'dabad Palace complex can not be bombed, so just bombing the castle to kill both targets is not possible.

Thanks in advance

Fox

Fersboo
06-11-2010, 11:06 AM
I recently ran a one-shot Traveller merc adventure with a similiar set-up. Basically the team was inserted just over the FLOB (forward line of battle) and had to hoof it to thier target. Luckily for them there was transportation there for their return.

I've experienced the whole, get inserted and hoof it to your objective myself as a Cav Scout, not a SF-type, so I know it can be done. :biggrin:

**edit**
Almost forgot, the team had to manuver to thier objective, avoiding known enemy locations and avoiding patrols.

Fox
06-14-2010, 09:06 AM
I'm still pondering about the extraction as well, anybody got an idea how to get a group of Special Forces out of Teheran after the assasination.

yukonhorror
06-14-2010, 10:23 AM
time-release assassination (close-proximity bomb on timer or poison). That way you can escape before anybody suspects anything. Or... make that part of the challenge (it seems you are the GM not player). Maybe give the player's access to a ground vehicle after the job is done or something similar so they can get back to the drop point.

Also, caves for hiding and stuff on way back.

Fox
06-15-2010, 05:13 AM
I'm indeed the GM, the exact details on the assassination attempt, is for the players to decide on. If they use a time-release method or something stealthy or sneaky, they'll be able to leave quite easily. If they use explosives, a lot of fireworks, getting out will be a tad harder. I was considering using a V-22 Osprey for the extraction, It can make the round trip from Van, Turkey to somewhere in the Central Alborz Protected Area/National Park. Since they are pressed for time getting to the target, it would explain why this route was not possible for the insertion.

It gives the players a tad of freedom for the extraction, they can hike to the LZ, steal a car, use the vehicle they came with or come up with another idea I haven't thought of.