PDA

View Full Version : Space Opera by Fantasy Games Unlimited

malchya
05-30-2010, 11:23 AM
I have always had a soft spot for FGU products. My favorite RPG of all time is Privateers and Gentlemen. And my favorite Sci Fi RPG is Space Opera. I admit to loving this clunky, uber-crunchy and all but unplayable system. I don't really know why, unless it would be that the ships feel more like ships than in any other sci fi system.

Anyone else ever played it? Thoughts and opinions welcome.

Skunkape
06-01-2010, 01:55 PM
Loved Space Opera and had quite a few characters in the various campaigns I played in. But we switched to Champions and really never play it after that. I think it's been about 24 some odd years since I played, but I was looking at the rules about a month ago.:biggrin:

fmitchell
06-01-2010, 05:30 PM
FGU games have several rich veins to mine ideas from ... but playing them seemed more trouble than they're worth. For example, I remember the variety of nonhuman aliens for PCs and NPCs, including "transhumans" (Vulcans, alas, not cyborgs). It's a shame they didn't allow cephalopod, arthropod, or silicon-based PCs; that would have been cool. Oh, and their psionics did The Force better than many Star Wars RPGs.

Maybe I'll pick up the PDF on RPGNow, to see what else I can steal.

BTW, I own the PDF for Psi World -- having traded the dead tree version for Chaosium's Trollpack ages ago -- and it's great for odd minor powers like "Forgotten" (people forget your face after eight hours).