PDA

View Full Version : Encounters Season 2: Dark Sun

Slipstream
05-27-2010, 04:56 PM
Feel free to use this thread for any discussion concerning Dark Sun Encounters, but I wanted to focus my post on something annoying.

Anyone who's keeping up with the local B&M store Wednesday night Encounters that Wizards does knows that Season 2 will focus on Dark Sun material, especially releasing stuff before the books even release.

This sounded fun. Last night I jumped into Session 10 at a local store just see what it was like. The guy there told me that season 2 will be pre-made characters only.

Really? Only?

I totally get having pre-mades at hand for newbies walking off the street, but forcing everyone to try premades? That to me was a deal breaker. I'll stick with the random LFR sessions or Pathfinder Society for my D&D kick, thanks.

If that's not the case for every shop, I'd be interested to hear.

Q-man
05-28-2010, 06:56 AM
Won't the Dark Sun Encounters season be starting before the Player's Guide is out? Odds are they just want to avoid any mistakes during character generation that may cause problems later. In the latest Penny Arcade D&D podcast they were talking about characters being themed. I didn't quite understand what that meant exactly, but it sounds like its something new and special for Dark Sun.

I never got to play in the first season of D&D encounters, but I would have liked to. I'm looking forward to the Dark Sun material and again I'd love to get a taste of it right away. Really sucks that I lack the free time to get to the game shop for it. Stupid real life responsibilities.

To those that played the first season what was it like? How did the adventure play out? I'm really interested to see how they structured things to fit into the weekly sessions. Especially if they party changed from week to week.

Randomly, I know the encounters series was meant for local gaming stores to run; but I wonder if it would be possible to get copies for online communities. Like say this one ;) we could play it out in the chat room. I'm not sure what the restrictions are for getting the materials though.

wizarddog
05-30-2010, 08:44 AM
I think one of the really sad things about the wizard events with pre-made characters is that they are poorly made. I had attended the the MM2 release and found the pre-rolled teifling warlord pretty pathetic. And not one of the characters in the group had a missile weapon, just so the rust monster could do its thing. I have had a similar experience using a pre-made for living FR (I only took it because none of the other players brought a leader to the group and I KNEW we needed one) with another, again, poorly designed.

For veterans, not having the ability to adjust your character can be real frustrating, esp in a game all about character design. As another player suggested, after my bad experience, try to see what you can "exploit" in the adventure that goes beyond "the script".

kirksmithicus
05-30-2010, 10:53 PM
I haven't had a chance to look at the Darksun Encounter stuff yet, but I should by the end of the week. So I'll let you know then.

yukonhorror
06-01-2010, 07:21 AM
I think the characters HAVE to be pre-made as WOTC has said Dark Sun will not have a new class (like the swordmage or the artificer), but will have new mechanics for ALL classes. As such, the fighter you build at home will never be the same as the one made with Dark Sun rules.

But yes kirk, let us know. I am curious about this setting. Know so little about it.

Farcaster
06-01-2010, 12:03 PM
Coinciding with the second season Dark Sun encounters, we'll be running an article that I think you will all find interesting. It'll be up on Monday, June 7th, so be on the lookout.

:cool:

yukonhorror
06-01-2010, 01:12 PM
ooh, I can't wait. I know you have been playtesting Dark Sun

kirksmithicus
06-03-2010, 04:44 PM
Well, I've had a chance to skim through the adventure very quickly. Yes, all the characters will be pre-made only. They are also splitting the adventure into different sections. So far, we have only the first few encounters, the rest to be mailed out later. Perhaps down the line there might be a slim chance of playing a custom made character, but I guess we will just have to wait and see. It might depend on the release date for the Dark Sun book and the data port over to the character builder.

As for the Dark Sun setting that I've gotten to see so far? Well having never played it in second edition and not really having a preference either way, I would have to say that the Dark Sun setting is hands down....way cooler! than Forgotten Realms or Eberron. I will definitely be purchasing the Campaign book when it comes out.

Arcane classes are hunted and feared. No divine classes, and a heavy reliance on psionics.

Looking forward to your article Farcaster.

Q-man
06-04-2010, 05:49 AM
I haven't seen a release date for the Dark Sun Player's Guide yet, but the Campaign Guide is scheduled to be out in August. Typically it takes a month or so before the rulebooks are added to the Character Builder. So you'd be well into the adventure before the tools were available to make your own character for it would be my guess.

yukonhorror
06-04-2010, 08:26 AM
I think there will only be one sourcebook this time for Dark Sun (other than a module adventure), but go to WOTC to confirm.

Q-man
06-04-2010, 08:38 AM
It would be awful nice to only have to get a single book, so I'd be pretty excited about them doing that. My cynical nature says that WotC enjoys making money too much, so they'd be more inclined to release two books simply because we'd then have to buy more stuff.

Dalboz
06-17-2010, 06:54 PM
This Encounters program has gotten me to play for the first time in almost twenty years. I'm liking the Dark Sun setting (never got to play the original, although I was familiar with it), although the game is pretty brutal. Only one guy was left standing in the first session. Amazingly, no one went down during the second session and we cleaned house pretty well. I might have to get the setting book when it comes out. Interestingly, a Dark Sun adventure is what Wizards is sending out for Free RPG Day, before the campaign setting is actually released. Not sure how that's supposed to work

I think they're requiring the use of premades because the Encounters program is an RPGA sanctioned event.

It's gotten me wanting to get back into pen and paper gaming altogether, hence how I wound up at this site.

j-train1
06-18-2010, 07:25 AM
If anyone is interested in the Encounters program. i am running the series at The UNknown games in downtown Scranton,PA on Wednesday night at 7pm to 9pm.

kirksmithicus
06-22-2010, 11:23 PM
I haven't seen a release date for the Dark Sun Player's Guide yet, but the Campaign Guide is scheduled to be out in August. Typically it takes a month or so before the rulebooks are added to the Character Builder. So you'd be well into the adventure before the tools were available to make your own character for it would be my guess.

You are correct, I don't keep up with things as I should and I confused the MM3 release with the Darksun campaign setting. My mistake, just wishful thinking that the Darksun book had come out instead of the MM3 :ohwell:.

This Encounters program has gotten me to play for the first time in almost twenty years. I'm liking the Dark Sun setting (never got to play the original, although I was familiar with it), although the game is pretty brutal. Only one guy was left standing in the first session. Amazingly, no one went down during the second session and we cleaned house pretty well. I might have to get the setting book when it comes out. Interestingly, a Dark Sun adventure is what Wizards is sending out for Free RPG Day, before the campaign setting is actually released. Not sure how that's supposed to work

I think they're requiring the use of premades because the Encounters program is an RPGA sanctioned event.

It's gotten me wanting to get back into pen and paper gaming altogether, hence how I wound up at this site.

The RPGA, and most RPGA events do not require pre-made characters. Also the RPGA material, as far as I know, is restricted to the Forgotten Realms setting. The Encounters series is separate from the RPGA, but still sponsored by WotC. I would love to have a copy, electronic or otherwise of the adventure from the Free RPG Day. Our local store tried to sign up for the program, but it was to late by the time they found out.

Same here with the near TPK in the first encounter, it was rough and we lost a couple of characters. The encounters eased up a bit after that, but everyone is now very wary, and just waiting for the next PC slaughter. Good stuff.

Dalboz, great to have you back in the hobby. I know many people who have started playing again in the last few years.

wilver
07-24-2010, 05:38 PM
Last week I played my first game of 4e during an Encounters session; there was one other person playing their first game of 4e as well, so the pre-gen characters were useful just to jump in. Having played it, I wished I would have done it with the previous season, as nothing my character has is present in the PHB.

kirksmithicus
08-08-2010, 10:29 PM
Just got the Darksun campaign guide will be reading through it this week.

kirksmithicus
08-11-2010, 12:12 PM
Wizards just announced that you will be able to use your own character in the 3rd chapter of the D&D Encounters Dark Sun campaign. I pasted the announcement below if anyone is interested. Also they announced that for season 3 of the Encounter Series they will be doing Keep on the Borderlands. This is the module that I started with, so I think it'll be cool to see how it will be redone.

Create Your Own Character in Chapter 3 of
D&D Encounters: Dark Sun®

The Dark Sun books (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/darksun.aspx) have hit the shelves at your local WPN store, and players have been waiting eagerly to dive into the cool new options and create their own characters. Rather than wait to fire up a home campaign, test drive the new options at your store first! Starting with Chapter 3 of D&D Encounters: Dark Sun on August 18, all players may create their own 3rd-level Dark Sun character instead of using the provided pre-generated ones. Here are the rules:

No divine character classes or options
No material from the Forgotten Realms® Player's Guide or the Eberron® Player's Guide
Allowed character races are dragonborn, dwarf, eladrin, elf, half-elf, halfling, human, tiefling (PH1); goliath (PH2); minotaur (PH3); mul, thri-kreen (DSCS)
Pick a character theme from the Dark Sun Campaign Setting
Characters start at 3rd level with 620 gold to purchase equipment and receive their choice of a +1 magic weapon, +1 magic implement, +1 magic armor, or a +1 amulet of protection

Have fun playing the last chapter of this season of D&D Encounters, and don't forget that a new season starts up on September 22 — Keep on the Borderlands!

Last week I played my first game of 4e during an Encounters session; there was one other person playing their first game of 4e as well, so the pre-gen characters were useful just to jump in. Having played it, I wished I would have done it with the previous season, as nothing my character has is present in the PHB.

The Keep on the Borderland should be right out of the Players Handbook, if you are still interested in playing the Encounters series come the end of September. From what I understand the revamped module will be set in the 4e default setting of the Nentir Vale, or close by. I could be wrong about that, so don't hold me to it.