PDA

View Full Version : Character Builder inquiry: Starting equipment and gold

Slipstream
05-21-2010, 01:55 PM
Rolled my first 4th Ed character this week to be used in LFR events etc. I have one question that I can't seem to find an answer to on my own. I used the D&DI Character Builder and something came up, but the greater question lies in the core rules themselves.

Barring any house rules, as I'm sticking to what RPGA requires, does your starting equipment (adventurer's pack, armor, weapon) get subtracted out of your starting 100gp?

If yes, why did the Character Builder give me my starting equipment as well as my full 100gp? :confused:

For clarification, this is the full version of Character Builder. I'd like this to not be a rip on feelings about the specific program, as I know it's a soft spot. I just want to know if it was a mistake or if there is some discrepancy I'm unaware of.

Thanks!

Farcaster
05-21-2010, 03:18 PM
When you are adding equipment to your character, there is an option to simply add it or to buy it. Are you sure you didn't simply add the equipment without buying it? I'm not certain though, and I don't have the character builder handy at the moment.

Slipstream
05-21-2010, 04:01 PM
That part of the builder baffled me. It seemed to do it on it's own. Aside from that, am I correct that the cost should be subtracted?

Farcaster
05-21-2010, 04:24 PM
To be honest, I don't recall for sure, but I thought it should be subtracted. Someone have a PHB handy? As to the RPGA rules, that I have absolutely no idea about.

Sascha
05-21-2010, 05:26 PM
It's working for me; starting gear gets subtracted. Check to see if you hit "Auto Add" instead of "Auto Buy."

Slipstream
05-21-2010, 11:32 PM
I didn't hit anything initially. I think it just automatically assigned stuff and didn't detract it. I just cleared it and repurchased everything.

wizarddog
05-23-2010, 02:30 AM
It is pretty easy to end up adding equipment vs buying in the interface. If you use the Quick Character feature , it adds all the equipment but does nothing to your gold, so you have to watch that.

choptop
11-09-2010, 11:33 PM
i found that if u double click on some thing it adds it without taliking gold away and the funny thing is when u do that u can turn around and sell it and make more gold which i thought to be wierd it must be a glitch tho

Silverthorne
02-09-2011, 08:22 PM
does anyone know where to get a copy of the DDI characterbuilder before they went to online only?

Silverthorne
02-10-2011, 04:24 PM
Nevermind