PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder

DMaster
05-15-2010, 01:05 PM
I am wanting to play/run a Pathfinder game. I haven't played in the system yet, but it looks pretty solid. I know the 3.5 rules pretty well, so the move seems easy enough.

This is the deal, I enjoy both playing and running, so it really depends on what you guys think. Most of my experience is in DM'ing, but recently I have played more and more.

I am an old school gamer, and I really want to bring back some of the joys of the bygone era. Rolling stats, playing them were they lie, deeper role play, etc. This might not be your cup of tea. I really really enjoy getting into character and having your moves matter to the story. I also enjoy heroic games where players truly want to be good and noble, playing out the consequences of poor actions like they matter.

Yeah, this is a pretty tall order, but I can try.

I live in downtown LA, so I am pretty central to most locations. I would like to play weekly or every other week. We can run a weekday evening game, or weekend game. I am pretty flexible for now.

So lets see if there is interest and then we can piece together a meet. Looking forward to some great adventures!!

kailuaboy
05-15-2010, 05:48 PM
I'm very experienced in 3.5 as a player but haven't yet played in Pathfinder. I'm hoping to get back into a 2x/month (on average) campaign as a player (though I'd like to DM someday).

I enjoy campaigns where both the DM and the players want the party to be a cohesive group rather than a collection of loners with gigantic, separate back-stories that don't make for a good communal experience (unless the DM is so skillful that he/she can weave it all together so that everyone feels included and gets enough "face time").

I live in Venice and have a great house for hosting (big table that seats 6 very comfortably, easy street parking, lots of places to order or pick up food, no pets -- although I don't allow smoking in the house, people can smoke in my backyard). But I'm fine traveling as long as it's not through crazy traffic and has ok parking.

My two pet peeves: 1) although I enjoy the social aspect of gaming, I have a hard time in groups where it's more about goofing off than it is about the gaming--I have other friends for just general hanging out time. Especially if people interrupt other people's role-playing/character stuff for their own "schtick." 2) I much prefer a group where everyone is at least an intermediate-level gamer and knows decently well the 3.5 rules -- when there are both experts and total novices in one group, it never seems to be a fun experience overall.

outrider
05-15-2010, 10:33 PM
pathfinder is a good game. I would strongly recommend that you read the rules(all of them) first. There are many small changes in the spells and feats. This got me when I first started to run the game.

kailuaboy
05-15-2010, 10:50 PM
Thanks. I ordered the Pathfinder Core Rulebook from Amazon today to get up to speed.

pathfinder is a good game. I would strongly recommend that you read the rules(all of them) first. There are many small changes in the spells and feats. This got me when I first started to run the game.

froboi
05-16-2010, 04:45 PM
Hey I just saw your campaign and I was wondering if I could hop in. I love the ideology behind pathfinder as well as the system itself. I've also been looking for a character driven game to join so this pretty much fits the bill perfectly. I know 3.5 like the back of my hand and would love to join your game! If you want to get a hold of me or if you have questions, email me at froboi@gmail.com.

DMaster
05-17-2010, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the posts guys!

It took me far too long to find this thread. I would have to say this site is not the most intuitive on the web... but good enough.

I like everything you guys are saying. So far, I have one person committed to play. Him and I are in the same mindset that twice a month is a good routine. We still need to pick a day and location for play.

My games are very much story/character driven. The only critique that I have gotten (beyond the typical, I don't agree with your rules) is that my world does not support automatic heros. You really have to earn that title. If you run into battle, you will probably die unless you know what you are doing. Tactical retreats (or full on fleeing) is necessary. The world is not going to baby you just as you wouldn't want the battles to be all fluff and no huff (does that make sense, I just made it up).

Players start out knowing each other and having a common tie. That means you will be going in the same direction at the beginning and it is your choice where you end up.

On the rules, I have read the pathfinder game and hope to catch all the changes, but am not too worried about it. The game is a living and breathing entity and I don't want to get bogged down by this ruling or that ruling. We will make adjustments as we all become familiar, having fun is more important (note: this doesn't mean I am not meticulous in reading rules, but I know how most players are, so I try to be light hearted).

I would also like to point out something that could be really hard to swallow, but I do not like optimizers. It is far more important for me to have players enjoy their characters and personalities. Choosing feats and classes for flavor reaching towards a goal is what should drive your creation, not having a higher BAB or DPS. If you use your character as a tool to play you cannot RP your character properly, so keep the tools to weapon choice and make an interesting character.

To make this point as clear as possible, I think this example will highlight what you will experience:

Rules for rolling up characters: 4d6, drop the lowest. Roll each stat once with no stat placement. Once your stats are approved by the DM/GM you decide on what race and class you qualify for (unless you freaking hate your stats, I mean you can't have fun with a retarded character).

This is insanely unfair and tough. This is what old school gaming was all about. Some players will have higher stats and that is just the way of the world. The game is won by playing out your character and not the stats on a page.

If you are still interested, drop a post. I will be in contact with you guys shortly, please drop an email if possible.

Hopefully we can get a great game with a great bunch of guys!!