PDA

View Full Version : Me and a couple of my friends are going to play for the first time

nazo shiame
04-28-2010, 06:14 PM
like the topic says me and a couple of my friends are going to play our first round of star wars rpg.they voted for me to be GM.Im wanting to add the charcter I will use when i am not the GM.Please give me a couple of tips of bieng a good GM.

All I have right now for the story is that it is when the empire is at full strength.The hero/anti heros are at a tatione bar.Im going to have the hero/anti-heros are going to run into my non GM charcter (kel dorianJensaarai) and help him hunt down info on the Empire miltia in the area.After that they found out the miltia have been corrupting the local goverment.They try to stop it and they kill the leader of the local miltia.All the heros/anti heros found out something that keeps them together example my charcter finds out a clue to his parents murderers. So how is my story im going to add to it when my friends tell me the basic backstory for their charcters.

Inquisitor Tremayne
04-28-2010, 08:44 PM
It sounds like you have a good start already. If you are running a game set during the Rebellion era I suggest you pick up the Rebellion Era Campaign Guide, there are TONS of information in that book on running a game set in that era.

As far as being a good GM, just work with your players to tell a good story and make sure everyone is having fun.

The GM section in the core book offers some good tips too, read over that as well.

Good luck! And post any problems or issues you have here and we will all help you out!

nazo shiame
04-29-2010, 10:56 AM
Thanks.Im stilling adding to the story.Im wanting to make it into a story that continues even when Im not the GM.Im wanting to add house rules.Im stilling working out house rules for this game.If you can you give me a few good house rules for jensaarias.

Inquisitor Tremayne
04-30-2010, 02:46 PM
I don't have any specifically for Jenessari but here is a thread where I listed all my house rules.

http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php/3170-house-rules-for-Saga-Edition

I only use house rules to convey a particular feeling from the films or to fix something I really don't like.

Is there anything specific you are looking for?

Barrier Peaks
05-01-2010, 09:22 AM
Im wanting to add the character I will use when i am not the GM. Please give me a couple of tips of being a good GM.
1.) There's nothing wrong with having a prominent NPC in the party that acts as your own PC, but take care when playing your own character as the GM (we used to call those sorts of characters "GMPCs"). Make sure that your character is merely a supporting character, and that he doesn't detract from the fun the other players are having. This can happen if your character never fails and always manages to save the day for the rest of the players. Make sure that each one of your players feels important to the story.
2.) Be consistent with your story. Be sure you know what's going on, even when the other players don't.
3.) Have fun telling a story. Don't get bogged down by the rules, because they can be very intimidating when you're just starting out.
4.) You don't need all the books to run a good game. That said, if you want to buy the rest of the books to expand on the game, go right ahead. Be sure to read all the new rules they introduce and be familiar with them.
5.) It's a game, so have fun!

Gary

nazo shiame
05-03-2010, 11:05 AM
My friend just brought me the book for the rebelion era.Right now im going with background rules to add more of a motive to the PCs.Plus Im just had more ideas to the story: A Gungean scout aiming to be a bounty hunter (my friend jacob's PC) is sent find a kel dorian jensaarai (my PC's but when Im GMing he is a support but still moves the story foward) and report all the actions the kel dorian does to the Kel dorian's master since the Kel dorian is training to be the next Jensaari leader.The kel dorian is found at a tatione looking for information on his parents killers (part of his orphan background).A ex imperial soldier and his left debt wookie (not like hon solo's story at all) are at the bar.(they haven't told me what their life goal is.)

So im trying to add subplots.The only subplot right now is the secret romance between my PC and his Jensaari master (she is 9 years older than him and is Twi 'leak.)

Please help me add on to the story.Right now It is in a diffrent reality and by this I mean the PCs effect the universe.One choice I have set up changes the out come in the battle of endor.

A Flannel Shirt
05-03-2010, 07:58 PM
My house rules are:

1.Jensaarai can twice per day use a dark force power but if they use a dark force power after that it will move them down by two.Since they have extreme dicispline it lets them use the darkside but used to much they corrupt faster.

2. Kel dorian's get a permant +2 on enemys if they have the orphan or law enforcement background.(only use this if there is alot of story and the short term version is in rebel era book.)

Seems a little fishy that both your house rules tend to lean towards your GMPC. It wouldn't be hard at all to avoid using another dark side power to avoid being corrupted faster and considering you are the GM you control the passage of time. As a player, I'd be a little annoyed.

nazo shiame
05-04-2010, 09:57 AM
Seems a little fishy that both your house rules tend to lean towards your GMPC. It wouldn't be hard at all to avoid using another dark side power to avoid being corrupted faster and considering you are the GM you control the passage of time. As a player, I'd be a little annoyed.

Im still adding right now since This is my first time actualy trying to make house rules and Im editing the rules to make it far plus my friend's soldier is going to be a jensaarai after my PC becomes adept.

A Flannel Shirt
05-04-2010, 10:12 AM
It's all good.

Honestly, what is up with all the love for jensaarai?
Am I missing something? Out of all the choices why them? I'm just wondering.

nazo shiame
05-04-2010, 11:49 AM
I have all ways loved the story for both the sith and the jedis.they combine both of the storys.They also just have a natural apeal to me.So if I had to give you a huge reason I just couldn't since I like them for reasons I dont know.

rovic
05-15-2010, 11:17 PM
i add a talent for playing jensaarai .... i allow a player to spend a force point to exclude any darkside points insued from a power but not from the reason for using it.... ex using force lightning ... spend a force point and no dsp for its use but still get one if used on a child.