PDA

View Full Version : Which Monster Types have you always wanted to play?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-26-2010, 03:51 PM
Which Monster Types have you always wanted to play?

This thread is two-fold: 1) Please offer up a monster or monsters you've always wanted to play in your fantasy games., and 2) For those of you that have played a monster/s in your games, please share your Monster template with the rest of us. This way we have a win-win!

What i'd like to see are monsters given, as well as homebrew templates for monsters made. We can all win this way. My hope is that everyone will benefit, as well as enjoy my thread.

My monster type would be the Illithiad. That's MindFlayers for you new-schoolers.

So, what share the rest of you?

Malruhn
04-26-2010, 07:08 PM
I've been able to meet all my expectations... ogres, dragons, Ilithid (Illithiad??), drow (20-year prior to Drzzzzzzzzt), kobolds... everything.

And this includes a wine-weird (water weird), and even elementals. Most of these were played prior to any "rules" about the subject... from WAY back.

The only thing I haven't played - from sheer lack of interest - are oozes and a big, honking gelatinous cube.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-26-2010, 08:10 PM
Okay, i'll admit it here: I played a carrion crawler once against a party. It was great fun, well, not for the party. lol. "Illithiads" were the original spelling, if i recall. On a side note, Drizzt really did almost singlehandedly destroy the respectibility of the Drow. I still love Drow, BTW.

Malruhn
04-26-2010, 09:36 PM
I checked my books - according to the "gospel," they are Illithid. The "Illithiad" was written by Bruce R. Cordell for 2nd Edition, as it still mentions THAC0, but is MUCH updated from the original Monster Manual. Unfortunately, the title page and back cover of the PDF is not on the scan, so I can't tell the year. I believe I have the book as well... The term (according to the book itself, is about the "Illithid" and is only called "Illithiad" to denote a journey spent traveling among them (like "Iliad" was a journey between "isles").

Sorry, I'm a dick like this from time to time.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-26-2010, 10:42 PM
No worries. I know it's an old school spelling, but whether its canon or not, i dunno. I just got use to spelling it that way, for its sorta alien in its spelling, which fits.

BIGKILLA
04-27-2010, 01:18 AM

This thread is two-fold: 1) Please offer up a monster or monsters you've always wanted to play in your fantasy games., and 2) For those of you that have played a monster/s in your games, please share your Monster template with the rest of us. This way we have a win-win!

What i'd like to see are monsters given, as well as homebrew templates for monsters made. We can all win this way. My hope is that everyone will benefit, as well as enjoy my thread.

My monster type would be the Illithiad. That's MindFlayers for you new-schoolers.

Ratssssss a.k.a. skaven or for 3.5 or what not i know they are called slitheren. I rarley ever if any get a chance to play as a player, im always running games, so in warhammer my players get extremely familiar with skaven as enemies and now im working on a pathfinder campaign that im using a race i call ratmen(very creative i know).

UNNAMED HERO CR 1/2
Male Ratman
Medium Monstrous Humanoid (Evil, Extraplanar)
Init +2; Senses Darkvision (60 feet); Perception +0
--------------------
DEFENSE
--------------------
AC 14, touch 13, flat-footed 11. . (+2 Dex, +1 natural, +1 dodge)
hp 0 ()
Fort +5, Ref +2, Will +0
--------------------
OFFENSE
--------------------
Spd 30 ft., Climbing (15 feet)
Melee Bite (Ratman) +0 (1d3) and
. . Claw x2 (Ratman) +0 x2 (1d4) and
. . Unarmed Strike -4 (1d3)
--------------------
STATISTICS
--------------------
Str 10, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 4
Base Atk +0; CMB +0; CMD 13
Feats Dodge, Skill Focus: Acrobatics, Skill Focus: Escape Artist, Skill Focus: Stealth
Skills Acrobatics +5, Climb +8, Escape Artist +5, Stealth +5
Languages Common, Other Language

--------------------
SPECIAL ABILITIES
--------------------
Climbing (15 feet) You have a Climb speed.
Darkvision (60 feet) You can see in the dark (black and white vision only).
Created With Hero LabŪ - try it for free at http://www.wolflair.com!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-27-2010, 10:13 AM
Nice! I never really appreciated ratmen/wererats until i learned of Skaven so many years ago. My new favorite race besting out the Drow.

TheYeti1775
04-27-2010, 03:15 PM

Assuming your talking outside of DMing them. :D
I share the Illithid like as well. Only have been able to play one once, the other characters were quite disturbed by his methods of questioning and/or disposing of bodies. :eek:

kirksmithicus
04-27-2010, 11:42 PM
An Arch Lich of course

templeorder
04-27-2010, 11:59 PM
Well, i'm going to skip over my cheesy days of gaming and go right to heart of the matter. For fantasy, nothing has fascinated me more than the ogre. Aloof, alone, hideous, a beast by all accounts - no friends, no community. Most of them are probably driven to their aberrant behavior by circumstance, not by nature (at least my story would go that way).

In my serious days, i've played orc, kobold (great for roleplaying, not for survivability), half-ogre, gnoll (a favorite!), troglodyte (so were all the other PC's - not so great if the stench goes off amidst human friends), centaur (very difficult), a sad pathetic little demon, goblin, hobgoblin (fun), lizard man (double fun!), minotaur (short and bad plot for it), ogre mage (too powerful as a PC), dryad (limited!), sylph (fun... but limited in environments if played realistically), tried a bugbear amidst giants and i got beat down - too lippy i suppose.

I never did a vampire (WoD for that) in DnD...

yukonhorror
04-28-2010, 07:53 AM
I wanted to play a Hound Archon, Yuan-ti (abomination or half-breed), Illithid, centaur, an intelligent golem (hence why I love warforged), and lycanthropes.

Golems because I like robots. I think it'd be fun to play one with intelligence.

Centaurs have always seemed neat to me, but they aren't a practical player race (hard to fit into taverns and small caves).

Illithids are just cool. Psychic overlords.

Hound archons and Yuan-ti are sort of associated with lycanthropes. Growing up with thundercats TMNT and cartoons like that, I have always had an affinity towards anthropomorphic creatures.

cplmac
04-28-2010, 11:42 AM
Hmmm, this got me to thinking of playing such a character as a summoned creature of another character. Oh, the many possibilities that could arise.

Oops, sorry, back to topic.

:focus:

cigamnogard
05-05-2010, 07:10 PM
Wanted to play:
Hound Archon
Giant

Played:
Dragon (1/2 black & 1/2 silver)
Ogre

Helped design to play in a campaign I was DM'ing
-1/2 dwarf, 1/2 dragon, & werebear
-ghost
-Troll
-1/2 Ogre
-Ogre
-Drow

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-05-2010, 07:54 PM
I don't have my monster manual on me, but there were two Underdark creatures i've always wanted to play. If you know the names of the creatures, be sure to list them here.

Okay, 1st one: I believe the Drow designed them in some way. They do have Clerics that worship Lolth. Drow hate and enslave them. They are spiderlike with and extra set of arms. Not Driders, but i'd enjoy playing them too, now that i think about it.

The 2nd one: A spider race that has the ability to shapeshift into a humanoid form...like a Drow, for example. Intelligent. Thought they would be great as a Drow House in a deep deep Underdark setting, unbeknownst to the other Houses of their true race.

jpatterson
05-05-2010, 09:48 PM
I played a troll in AD&D2E, that was neat. He inhaled a vampire and became a vampire - munchkiny but also cool I guess.

In WFRP, I'd like to play a Zoat, which I made a stat supplement for, along with Fimir for 2nd Edition, but my group hasn't played WFRP lately.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-05-2010, 10:16 PM
WFRP players: Has anyone tried playing an Ogre in WFRP? For years, there was a fan-created template of said race.

Geode
05-06-2010, 04:11 AM
I've always wanted to play a Gelatinous Cube! :D

cigamnogard
05-06-2010, 06:46 PM
Mmmmm - too slow ;)

jpatterson
05-07-2010, 12:16 AM
I got to help others play an Ogre that was our town's "pet", and the GM played one like him before that - the subject to stupidity thing is rough but MAN are they strong and tough. But a full individual character built from the ground up as a PC - no, but I'm not sure how or when it would be usable - half-ogre maybe, but even that would be pretty iffy.

cigamnogard
05-07-2010, 06:40 PM
Ah, but that is where you as a player bump up the intelligence stat and really have some fun.
Check out my first blog.

tesral
05-10-2010, 10:49 AM

There is always a 10'x10' room for Jello. :cool:

I will call myself fulfilled in this regard. If I have wanted to play it, I've played it. 34 years in the game is plenty of time to play what you like.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-10-2010, 11:37 AM
Wererat! Play a wererat that was a member of the city's crime syndicate. Good times are virtually guaranteed.

templeorder
05-10-2010, 12:51 PM
What about an ITEM!? I've never actually had anyone play an item with intelligence. Would that be a "monster"? Anyone have any stories like this?

fmitchell
05-10-2010, 12:55 PM
In addition to some of the creatures listed above -- lich, mind flayer, ghost, and yuan-ti / serpent folk -- I'd love to try a Gloranthan ogre: looks like a buff and charming human, until it tears off your arm and eats it. (Knowing me, though, I'd probably play one struggling with his anthropophagy, instead of one of the gloriously evil Chaos-lovers.)

I'd also love to play an Elder Thing (a.k.a. "Old Ones" from Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness) ... hey, they were in one edition of Deities and Demigods ...

EDIT: Oh, yeah, forgot about the land-dwelling octopuses from The Fantasy Trip ... three attacks, no waiting. A bit overpowered for a PC species, but if I rebuild them in GURPS point-balanced for the rest of the party ...

cigamnogard
05-10-2010, 05:36 PM
Wererat! Play a wererat that was a member of the city's crime syndicate. Good times are virtually guaranteed.
Come on - please elaborate!

cplmac
05-14-2010, 08:57 AM
After a discussion in our tabletop group about lycanthropy, I came up with the idea of a Weresheet. My players just started laughing until I told them, "Hey, you never know what may be on that bed at the inn you stop at for the night." The first time they stayed at an inn, one of the characters tossed his pack onto his bed. When nothing happened, he then sat on it. The rest of them just looked at him and he said, "Just checking to make sure the bed didn't attack."

I have never had a player ask to play a "monster" as a character in a game. I guess there is always the possibility of a first time for everything though, especially with a group as large and active as ours.

tesral
05-14-2010, 11:59 AM
I had one character turn into a building after he cut himself on a nail. Yep, a werehouse.

cplmac
05-14-2010, 12:12 PM
Nice! I wasn't even thinking on that large of a scale.

Aeolius
05-15-2010, 10:34 PM

OKay, but you have to begin as:
http://www.candyboots.com/wwcards/cardscans/rosysalad.jpg

cigamnogard
05-17-2010, 02:59 PM
LOL a werehouse!