PDA

View Full Version : SPACERS! (Using the SUPERS! system)

Simon W
04-20-2010, 01:29 AM
After finishing up a sourcebook/adventure book for use with the SUPERS! Comic Book Role Playing Game, I'll be working on a space opera setting and rpg called SPACERS! Using the system found in SUPERS! adapted the the genre, it will be a Star Wars style fast paced game of high adventure. I'll be loooking to release this early in 2011.

trechriron
04-20-2010, 06:54 PM
I am very interested in a system break down. What is the difference or similarity between Barbarians of Lemuria, your post-apocalypse game, and SUPERS!?

Simon W
04-21-2010, 02:55 AM
I am very interested in a system break down. What is the difference or similarity between Barbarians of Lemuria, your post-apocalypse game, and SUPERS!?

Hi, thanks for asking.

Barbarians of Lemuria (http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=58815) (BoL) is a rules-lite swords & sorcery rpg. It has an active community here (http://www.freeyabb.com/d6fantasy/portal.php), where you can find out all sorts of stuff about it. There is an early free version of the rules still available for download here (http://www.1km1kt.net/rpg/barbarians-of-lemuria), if you want to get a feel for the rules (bare in mind there have been many changes made in both the rules and the setting). It uses 2d6+attribute+career/combat ability as the basic mechanic. It is now published in print by Cubicle 7 and is available at your local store. My other game Dogs of W*A*R (http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=78447) (based on the Mack Bolan/Able Team/Phoenix Force books) uses the BoL system too. There is a BoL western game and a BoL superhero game in the works.

I don't have a post-apoc version of the game, but Barbarians of The Aftermath (http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=64387&filters=500_0_0_0) by Jabberwocky Productions uses the BoL System and requires BoL to play. It will be published shortly by Cubicle 7.

SUPERS! (http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=79977) is a simple superhero game, using a dice pool mechanic. There will be a full review at RPGNet shortly - I'll post a link when it's up. Basically, you pick a Power, roll the dice and have to exceed a target number (kinda like Star Wars D6). However, Resistances (kinda like defense/hit points) are broken down into Composure, Reaction, Fortitude and Will. When you take damage (determined by how well you succeed your roll, no separate damage roll needed) you allocate the damage from one of these Resistances. When one of them reaches 0, the effects depend on which one it is (knocked out for Fortitude, traumatised for loss of Will, etc).

Narmer
04-24-2010, 01:03 AM
After finishing up a sourcebook/adventure book for use with the SUPERS! Comic Book Role Playing Game, I'll be working on a space opera setting and rpg called SPACERS! Using the system found in SUPERS! adapted the the genre, it will be a Star Wars style fast paced game of high adventure. I'll be loooking to release this early in 2011.

This would be very cool!

PetWW
04-24-2010, 08:34 AM
(...)I'll be working on a space opera setting and rpg called SPACERS! Using the system found in SUPERS! adapted the the genre, it will be a Star Wars style fast paced game of high adventure. I'll be loooking to release this early in 2011.
This sounds interesting. Any particular reason why you chose to use the Supers! rules for this and not the BoL rules?

Simon W
04-24-2010, 08:58 AM
This sounds interesting. Any particular reason why you chose to use the Supers! rules for this and not the BoL rules?

Mainly because there are several BoL products already out and a few still in the making. With the rules in all of those games, anyone interested can come up with their own sci fi conversion (I believe le Grumph has done a cool one already - pity it's in French!). I don't really think BoL will stand too many more products or it is in danger of imploding.

I now want to move my focus a bit and see how far I can stretch this new set of rules - I think there is a lot that can still be done with SUPERS!

PetWW
04-24-2010, 08:44 PM
(...)I don't really think BoL will stand too many more products or it is in danger of imploding.Good point. And though I like BoL a lot, I also feel that space opera would require something with a slightly different flavour. I suppose I should have phrased my question a bit differently: did any qualities in particular of the SUPERS! rules make you think of doing a space opera game with them?

I now want to move my focus a bit and see how far I can stretch this new set of rules - I think there is a lot that can still be done with SUPERS!Well, I'll certainly follow the developments with interest!

EldritchFire
06-16-2010, 04:23 PM
Are you looking for playtesters, by chance?

I'd LOVE to playtest a game that recaptures the feel of ye ol' Star Wars D6! It was my first...you never forget your first!

-EF

Jaysun
10-31-2010, 02:01 PM
Any progress on this?

Simon W
10-31-2010, 05:34 PM
Any progress on this?

Nothing as yet - but it will move forward next year...

Thanks for asking

Jaysun
11-02-2010, 09:45 PM
Like EldritchFire (http://www.penandpapergames.com/member.php/12745-EldritchFire) if when the time is right you need some playtesters I volunteer.

Jaysun
11-04-2010, 03:43 PM
If I may be so bold I would like to request that there be a section on merging Supers and Spacers. Reason being in the superhero game I run for my kids (and my brother runs for his group) there are aliens and spaceships. So it would be nice to easily combine the two.

Anat13
11-21-2010, 12:00 PM
Hi all,
Just FYI, there is already a "Spacers" RPG out there and the name is trademarked: http://www.perytonpublishing.com/spacers.htm (I was googling that game and found this thread.)
-Christy

Jaysun
11-21-2010, 05:34 PM
Hi all,
Just FYI, there is already a "Spacers" RPG out there and the name is trademarked
Hmm...most interesting.

urbwar
11-22-2010, 02:44 AM
Hi all,
Just FYI, there is already a "Spacers" RPG out there and the name is trademarked: http://www.perytonpublishing.com/spacers.htm (I was googling that game and found this thread.)
-Christy

Are you sure it's trademarked? I didn't find that to be so when I checked the list at the trademark office website.

Simon W
11-22-2010, 03:20 AM
Hi all,
-Christy

I very much doubt the name "Spacers!" is trademarked...

That having been said, if I come up with another name, I'll use it, otherwise I'll stick with it.

TomK
11-22-2010, 06:18 PM
Hi my name is Tom K Loney. I created a game for my TAG rules called "Spacers" back in the 1990's. As of 'o7 (2007) we have been publishing SPACERS(TM) products officially. Our official copyright and trademarked items are available thru our website at www.perytonpublishing.com and through our products at DriveThruRPG.com and www.Lulu.com.

rclea
11-22-2010, 07:11 PM
Are you sure it's trademarked? I didn't find that to be so when I checked the list at the trademark office website.Checking at the trademark office doesn't really accomplish much. A trademark can be legally established simply by claiming it as such and using it.

urbwar
11-23-2010, 02:25 AM
Checking at the trademark office doesn't really accomplish much. A trademark can be legally established simply by claiming it as such and using it.

Not always. I worked with a band that thought that was the case, and almost lost the trademark because someone else tried to claim it through the trademark office

Simon W
11-23-2010, 03:30 AM
Hi my name is Tom K Loney. I created a game for my TAG rules called "Spacers" back in the 1990's. As of 'o7 (2007) we have been publishing SPACERS(TM) products officially. Our official copyright and trademarked items are available thru our website at www.perytonpublishing.com (http://www.perytonpublishing.com) and through our products at DriveThruRPG.com and www.Lulu.com (http://www.Lulu.com).

I am still very doubtful - you can't establish worldwide trademark on a word simply by putting "TM" after it. I'm in the UK too, so that'll mean a different trademark office (not that I'd even consider trademarking the name!). Anyway my game is "SPACERS!" (the exclamation is part of the name). Personally, I don't see an issue with both games having similar names, especially as the "logo" isn't the same. Given that we're in a niche market, it's not really something to get all hot and bothered about (unless you are WoTC).

That being by-the-by, I don't want issues over a name so, as I said, if I can come up with something else, I'll change it. If not, we'll see...

rclea
11-23-2010, 09:31 AM
Not always. I worked with a band that thought that was the case, and almost lost the trademark because someone else tried to claim it through the trademark officeWell, registering certainly helps you protect your trademark. I'm not denying that. My point was just that you can't assume something isn't trademarked just because it's not listed on the official website.

---------- Post added at 10:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 AM ----------

...If your point is that the word "spacers" isn't distinctive enough in itself to constitute a trademark, you may be right. It's kind of a fuzzy area. I imagine a large enough company with money and spite to throw around could claim "this is a fun game" as a trademark and get the courts to defend it, but I don't think any of us here fit that description. If distinctiveness is not an issue, however, all you have to do to establish a trademark is start using it in commerce, which has been done with the SPACERS game.

Sounds like you're being very decent about the whole thing, though, so this is probably all academic.

cplmac
11-24-2010, 11:24 AM
Amazing how just a piece of punctuation can make a difference. Not to mention, they use different game systems and are in different countries.

rclea
11-25-2010, 12:22 AM
Amazing how just a piece of punctuation can make a difference. Not to mention, they use different game systems and are in different countries.Heh. Well, it would be amazing if any of those things actually did make a difference. Good luck selling, "Frisbee?" the card game and not getting sued.

TomK
11-25-2010, 03:37 PM
Let's not jump to inserting words like "sue" into the conversation. This sort of thing is not going to help anybody involved in creating smaller press pen and paper games. Of course, the argument of "SPACERS" being totally different from "SPACERS!," does not move anything forward either. Otherwise I would have named my RPG Star Trek! and you could call yours STAR TREKS! .

Of course punctuation marks statement do underscore my earlier point of marketplace confusion. As I pointed out, the term "Spacers" as a title to a space-opera driven RPG setting has been in publication since 2007. About a third of the sales to date has been in the UK and European Union, so I am not certain what a "worldwide" trademark is, there a common language and expected sales audience of my product and the forthcoming product.

The point of SUPERS! SPACERS! as opposed to Spacers this actually might be a clear enough distinction for people buying either product. Sure fine. But if we're talking about a SPACERS! and then in fine print "used for the SUPERS! rules system" and Spacers also in fine print "used for the TAG rules system," the original problem of very little distinction between the two products. Even the use of SUPERS! SPACERS and TAG: Spacers just seems bulky and awkward, and ultimately pointless.

Simon W
11-25-2010, 04:55 PM
Let's not jump to inserting words like "sue" into the conversation. This sort of thing is not going to help anybody involved in creating smaller press pen and paper games. Of course, the argument of "SPACERS" being totally different from "SPACERS!," does not move anything forward either. Otherwise I would have named my RPG Star Trek! and you could call yours STAR TREKS! .

Of course punctuation marks statement do underscore my earlier point of marketplace confusion. As I pointed out, the term "Spacers" as a title to a space-opera driven RPG setting has been in publication since 2007. About a third of the sales to date has been in the UK and European Union, so I am not certain what a "worldwide" trademark is, there a common language and expected sales audience of my product and the forthcoming product.

The point of SUPERS! SPACERS! as opposed to Spacers this actually might be a clear enough distinction for people buying either product. Sure fine. But if we're talking about a SPACERS! and then in fine print "used for the SUPERS! rules system" and Spacers also in fine print "used for the TAG rules system," the original problem of very little distinction between the two products. Even the use of SUPERS! SPACERS and TAG: Spacers just seems bulky and awkward, and ultimately pointless.

To be honest this whole conversation is pointless. I don't actually care enough to say any more.

TomK
11-25-2010, 06:42 PM
One of the points of this conversation was to inform you of an established role-playing game of the title that you would like to use. The other point was to clear up some misunderstandings about trademark law.

Jaysun
11-25-2010, 07:25 PM
Considering that Simon has yet to even release anything bearing the name Spacers! (besides this general announcement) makes this conversation null in some ways. After all it's just an idea, that is to be worked on. Professionally other than posting a brief notification concerning the TAG Spacers this conversation should have probably been handled privately; through either private message or email instead of on the forum. Considering the fact that the forum is a public arena not a board room.

Narmer
06-11-2011, 11:54 AM
I'm still looking forward to this. How goes it?

Simon W
06-11-2011, 12:03 PM
I'm still looking forward to this. How goes it?

Still working (very slowly) on it - as WOODLAND WARRIORS is taking up my time at the moment!

Narmer
06-11-2011, 04:48 PM
Still working (very slowly) on it - as WOODLAND WARRIORS is taking up my time at the moment!

Thanks.

Narmer
04-08-2013, 05:57 PM
Are we there yet?

Simon W
04-09-2013, 04:01 AM
Not happening now, since I sold the rights to SUPERS! - that is unless the new owners do other things with the system.

Narmer
04-10-2013, 02:29 PM
Not happening now, since I sold the rights to SUPERS! - that is unless the new owners do other things with the system.

Thanks for the update. I didn't know if selling SUPERS! would affect SPACERS!. Color me disappointed though.

Dustland
04-11-2013, 04:55 PM
If it helps alleviate the pain, I know publishers have already talked to the new owners about using Supers to create both a fantasy game and a sci-fi game. I would assume those won't get any traction until the revision is done, which should be some time this summer.

danbuter
05-18-2013, 09:26 PM
Stuff I hope you have in the game:
Lightsabers (starswords, whatever).
Blasters.
Droids.
The Force/Psionics.
Starfighters.
Alien Xenomorphs/tyranids to fight.
Battle Suits (more like space marines, not really like full mecha).
Don't make the Traveller 3rd Imperium mistake of having humanity surrounded by other empires. Have at least one true frontier (where a Firefly game would conveniently fit).