PDA

View Full Version : Condition Track permanent conditions

Inquisitor Tremayne
04-17-2010, 01:28 PM
SO I am considering making any moves down the condition track from damage to be persistent conditions.

The reason for this is that it came up in my last game. The PCs were protecting a an Ambassador who was KO'd by an assassin and the intention was the Ambassador gets sent to the hospital, but he was fully healed by the PCs, returned to normal. No recovery time needed. Which meant all the medical droids that arrived on the scene were not needed as well.

THEN, the assassins that were captured and put in prison, one was still unconscious and the PCs wanted to use Vital Transfer on him so they could talk to him.

So, obviously a level of realism is severely missing due to the "ease" to heal with the Force, or the ability to recover using 3 swift actions.

This runs counter to what we see in the films, particularly The Clone Wars series currently on now. How could Han feel so terrible by torture if he could simply spend 4 rounds (1/2 minute) to move up the CT? Or in the The Clone Wars Episode Landing at Point Rain, how is Obi Wan so exhausted that he can't continue the fight and must leave the battle field? Likewise, in the Episode where Anakin, Ashoka, and Secura crash land, how is Anakin unconscious for so long and how is it possible he isn't recovering?

I think permanent conditions would accurately represent this since it requires 8 hours of rest to recover from them AND you are taking those penalties to pretty much everything. It would force characters to take themselves out of the fight until they have rested.

The only moves down the CT that wouldn't be permanent would be Persuasion based moves or Mind-Affecting moves and Stun moves.

Thoughts?

A Flannel Shirt
05-01-2010, 11:24 AM
I like this idea and may try it.

The main reason I like this idea is the fact that the saga system is VERY player friendly. I know games are not players vs GM but it always seems to end up that way one way or another. My players are constantly kicking ass, which they seem to enjoy. However I always get the feeling that maybe I'm being too easy on them. On the flip side I don't want arguements. The point I'm trying to make is that as the GM I always feel like I'm losing the battles.

This idea makes them think twice about combat. With that in mind it also has the chance to encourage more roleplaying. For example if that scoundrel gets a lucky enough shot in, my guy may be really hurting, I know I can win the fight, but at what costs?

I like this idea.

The only thing that I might change is the 3 swift actions in combat. I'd keep this and make it seem like more of an adrenaline boost. The problem with this is how they are affected out of combat. Iím sure there could be a happy medium. For example, during the fight Player 1 gets hit and goes down 2 CT. Ouch that hurt. Next round the guy is still ok with the penalties and keeps fighting and hot damn another -2 CT. He doesnít like this -5 and now really wants to do something about it. Adrenaline boost and uses 3 swift actions next turn. At the end of combat the player is at -4 CT, but took a total of 6. Iíd make the persistent CT loss be halfed (3) and call it a day. might be hard to keep track of but it would be a compromise to the current rule set and your idea.

I think I'm going to try it.

Inquisitor Tremayne
05-02-2010, 09:45 AM
It was suggested on the WotC boards to require an Endurance check to move up the CT in addition to the 3 swift actions.

I REALLY like that idea, more so than making the conditions persistent. fail the check you cannot move up. Makes the Endurance skill more useful as well!

Another suggestion was to have NPCs, when they fall to below -3 on the CT that their conditions become persistent, similar to used starships. I like that idea a lot too. It means they really are down and out and need real medical attention.

A Flannel Shirt
05-02-2010, 10:14 AM
I had the exact conclusion yesterday with one of my players about endurance. Wow, small world