PDA

View Full Version : Eclipse Phase

MortonStromgal
04-17-2010, 11:23 AM
Anyone played it? I'm thinking about running it. I'm not really normally into the post-humanism thing or percentile system but WOW the book is a great read and being under Creative Commons doesn't hurt

Freejack
04-17-2010, 10:09 PM
I've been reading it off and one since it came out last year. I've committed to running a game at the upcoming Tacticon so I'm pushing to get the rules down and run at least once before the con.

I do like some of the Transhumanist books, especially Richard Morgan's Altered Carbon and am using that as inspiration for the con game.

Carl

kitsune1842
05-11-2010, 04:30 PM
I have yet to decide for sure that I would run a game, but the more I read the book the more I am leaning twords doing so. I love the world and what can be done in it, and looking forwards to seeing how my game group deals with some of the more interesting parts of the game including the fact that anyone they kill might show up later angery at them.

trechriron
05-12-2010, 12:24 AM
I love the setting. The rules are a tad more crunchy than I like, but I think we're going to try it out.

If not, we're going to use the setting and plug-in a different system.

Once I have more, I'll come back and post some thoughts.

trechriron
06-13-2010, 01:51 AM
I ran a con scenario from the Quick Start rules today. It was a blast! Seriously, the system really focuses you on the setting, and it's fast with enough detail to support the Ego/Morph Transhuman Hard Science setting feel. I adore this setting. It is rife with possibility!! In fact, I am not going to modify it one slight bit for my game. Hard Science challenges me and I am looking forward to it. The rules for things like gravity and "spot rules" are concise and complete. You aren't left hanging on anything the characters are going to try, do or encounter in the game.

I highly encourage people to pick it up and play out of the box. Learning the different names for aptitudes and skills takes a moment to "reprogram" your mind, but it all makes sense, especially after everyone "gets into it" and thinks through the setting's technology. The system parts that separate the Ego from the Morph are quite brilliant.

Suggestion: Print out the player only bits (pages 2 - 22) of the Quick Start for each players. Also print out page 38 (IIRC), the rules summary. I printed out the sample characters in color on card stock and the looked ultra SEXY! :D Ask everyone to take ten minutes, read the Quick Start, ask some questions and engage in a little Eclipse Phase setting mechanics discussion. We spent maybe 20 minutes total.

Then just get into it. Encourage them to think differently. My players hiccuped for all of 10 minutes and then it just "clicked". Creative ideas tossing about like a blender full of ice cream and milk on high speed puree and no lid. Splash - Awesomeness everywhere. I thoroughly enjoyed running this game.

Also, it's so damn purty... :-D

Raicheck
06-18-2010, 12:45 AM
I'm currently running EP. I do like the concept behind it, and I enjoy the rules it has. I had some minor problems with the setting (personal preference really, nothing major) that were easily tweaked. My only major issue with it is that with the base setting as it stands it's hard to really put the fear of death into your players. Their characters can be effectively immortal. There are many things far worse than death, but in a horror setting I think both possibilities have to exist. I got around it somewhat by making it harder to make "backups" of themselves, and made morph's harder to come by. In the second EP based game I'm running, I eliminated the ability to swap bodies almost completely but it's more of a Space Opera setting rather than the Sci-Fi Horror setting that EP comes with.

Overall, I give the game a A- thematically, and a B+ on crunch.

"Also, it's so damn purty"

Hell yeah, some of the best artwork I've seen. It's right up there with Cthulhutech in the art dept.

Fersboo
06-18-2010, 10:15 AM
I read the intro story and it does sound compelling, however I came away with the same issue of the lack of fear of death for the player characters as Raicheck did.

MortonStromgal
06-18-2010, 10:53 AM
Here is the pitch I used. I removed the colorful language. It kinda shows although there is no death, there are much worse things.

I could feel the biomorph breathing, female this time I think. My head was always swimming right after a re-sleeve. The body seemed strong, probably a Fury or some other combat model. I sat up in the darkness and looked around. I was in Medlab on the Nicodemus, something must have happened but I couldn't remember what. "@#$%" I said as slid my feet off the bed and onto the cold metal floor. [Are you ok, Jamie?] Nicodemus was in my head again; he was always watching me. "I'm fine, its just cold. What's the date?" [November 5th, 11 Afterfall] "I've lost a month! What the hell happened?" [There was something on board that starship, we have not successfully recovered your cortical stack. I have recordings if you want to see them] "No Thanks." Watching my own death was never pleasant, for all our advances no one should have to see themselves die. I grabbed a robe from the closet and headed to the cafeteria for some coffee. Kathleen was there having breakfast with Piper. "Hi sleepy head, that was some fight!" said Piper. "Did you watch the video yet?" "No, I'm not into that *&^%" I replied. Kathleen understood but Piper was a sick @!#$!#$, I often wondered if Piper was even human or if it was an alien ego in that slitheroid morph he loved to wear. Hell, he might even be a woman, not that it mattered anymore, these days you can pick whatever body you wanted. I don't know why anyone would want the body of a giant robot snake. We had evolved into boredom if you ask me, hell by now I had been re-sleeved so many times I don't even know what gender I am. "So, whats the mission and how did we fail?", I asked. Kathleen pushed a few buttons on her datapad; the screen showed us a derelict spacecraft right off the port bow. "2 years ago the Jovian Republic transport ship known as the Zachariah headed back home from Mars toward Liberty Station when it vanished. It came back through the Pandora's Gates near Saturn 6 months ago and that is when Firewall sent the Nicodemus to investigate." Kathleen paused for a moment and shivered. "We found something inside: the Zachariah was infected by the TITANS. Our orders are to get the memory core off the ship and get out." Piper interrupted, "Let's get some hardware and go do it then!" Kathleen grabbed my wrist and cried, "We have already been re-sleeved 8 times!" I realized we didn't have any more morphs on this ship! That means if we did not succeed this time we would be just like the people of the Zachariah, trapped in the memory core of our ship.

Congratulations; you are one of the elite few to be selected to join Firewall. What is Firewall? Well, we are the secret organization made up of all kinds of people from different backgrounds banded together and fighting for one thing: the survival of humanity. You see, in the time before the fall, life was great. Back then our planet wasn't an uninhabitable dust ball and technology had advanced enough that death was no longer the end of your life. You could upload your memories into a computer and then download them into a new body. Then something happened; it's all a bit fuzzy but mankind was nearly destroyed. One theory is machines known as the TITANS revolted, killing 80% or more of humanity. Fortunately for humanity there was a backup and in a short time we left Earth and were downloaded into our new bodies. Welcome to transhumanity! As a Sentinel of Firewall you will try to protect humanity from extinction by eliminating internal and external threats. Think of us as the Men in Black; we move all over the known universe saving backups of humans trapped on derelict ships, exploring and meeting new alien races, and protecting the populace from people who should not have gotten that second chance at life. Just remember, as a Sentinel of Firewall you have no legal jurisdiction and it's for your own safety and that of the other Sentinels that we ask you to keep Firewall a secret. If you give up our existence to the outside world, your ego will be erased.

Your mind is software: program it.
Your body is a shell: change it.
Death is a disease: cure it.
Extinction is approaching: fight it.

Welcome to Eclipse Phase...

cliff
06-30-2010, 07:03 PM
I'm adding this post more for the folks who might be considering Eclipse Phase but haven't really decided if they want to check it out or not.

I'm impressed. I'm a pretty old gamer, so I don't impress easily, but the integration of the world in Eclipse Phase is amazing. The developers put a lot of time and effort into making sure that all the moving parts in their world mesh properly, and it shows. This game is an amazing achievement in terms of a believable hard science universe, especially when you consider how many elements of the world are a bit on the uncommon side for a hard science setting.

I haven't had a chance to actually learn the rules yet - the setting itself is a very big read, and the setting is detailed before the rules (which, while I don't know the rules, I still believe to be beneficial as the world introduces some pretty uncommon themes and the coverage of those themes in the rules might be confusing if you haven't picked up the theme yet).

Right now, I've just recently started running a Savage Worlds Slipstream game, but afterward I am really hoping to convince my group to give Eclipse Phase a try.

Congzilla
07-16-2010, 09:59 AM
For those who want to check it out without buying it you can download the complete pdf as well as quick start rules and other items at the creators website linked below. It is a masterpiece of a game.

http://robboyle.wordpress.com/eclipse-phase-pdfs/

Slipstream
07-18-2010, 10:24 AM
For those who want to check it out without buying it you can download the complete pdf as well as quick start rules and other items at the creators website linked below. It is a masterpiece of a game.

http://robboyle.wordpress.com/eclipse-phase-pdfs/
Nice! Thanks!

I love checking stuff out before I buy it. If I ever decide to use a page of this book for any game, I'll order the print copy.

Congzilla
07-19-2010, 02:20 PM
I think there are already a lot of ways to keep permanent death just as scary even without limiting morphs and backups. Someone could always harvest your cortical stack and destroy it or hold it hostage.