PDA

View Full Version : The Autumn Knight

Umiushi
04-16-2010, 06:19 AM
"She's a troublesome witch, endlessly spending her time developing spell emblems, and then dropping them all over the forest for who-knows-what to pick up and use." muses the huntress, reflections of the campfire's flames dancing in her pupil-less eyes, "It wouldn't surprise me if she was holding onto the Prism Ostracon. That won't deter you from taking it, will it?"

I would like to announce a single, 4th edition D&D adventure for five 7th level characters: The Autumn Knight. It will be conducted using MapTool, currently version 1.3.b56.

Setting
The adventure will be set in the wilderness outskirts of the Bright Kingdom, in the Feywild. This will be my interpretation of the Feywild, as part of my homemade Unquiet Lands campaign setting. I don't own the 4th edition Manual of the Planes, so don't expect to see information from that rulebook implemented.

Play and Characters
I would like to focus on the following guidelines for play:

Cooperate with the other player characters.
Inform me if you are unable to continue with the game.
Reply to messages.
You must have access to all rules you hope to employ for your character.
You will need complete access to all of the rules of the 4th edition D&D Player's Handbook.
I will need a copy of your character sheet that I can save offline.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with The Unquiet Lands, you might want to start with this thread: http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php/15563-The-Unquiet-Lands-Sub-forum-%28New-and-Potential-Players-Please-Start-Here%29

The full Unquiet Lands sub-forum can be found here: http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/140-The-Unquiet-Lands

Characters will be generated in the same manner as they are for the other Unquiet Lands games. Please refer to http://www.penandpapergames.com/foru...yer-Guidelines (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php/9509-Player-Guidelines) and http://www.penandpapergames.com/foru...les-Guidelines (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php/9511-Character-and-Rules-Guidelines) for details. They will be advanced to 7th level using the chart on page 29 of the Player's Handbook or page 143 of the Dungeon Master's Guide, with the following specific rules:

When a character race is noted as speaking Common, they speak Elven instead.
When a character race is noted as speaking Elven, replace that with "a language of your choice, other than Supernal or Abyssal."
Characters begin the game with three magic items each: one level 8, one level 7, and one level 6 item.
Coins of the realm are Ducats. There are ducats of fairy gold and ducats of fairy silver, termed gold ducats and silver ducats. A gold ducat is worth 1 gp and a silver ducat is worth 1 cp. A "ducat" is assumed to be a gold ducat. There is no copper, platinum, or other metals used as money, but gems are commonly accepted for larger values.
Characters have 1,800 gold ducats to purchase equipment, magical items, rituals, and so on. The following items are not available for purchase:

Residuum
Magic items over level 10, including consumables such as potions, reagents, and ammunition.
Camels, and other creatures unsuitable for temperate climates
Sea Horses, and other aquatic mounts

The adventure involves travel through rough terrain, so mounts and vehicles may be of limited usefulness.
The canonical lack of primal spirits in the Feywild does not apply to my campaign setting. Characters who use the primal power source are allowed to be native to the Feywild.
You may transfer funds to other players. All players involved in such transactions are responsible for confirming them with me prior to the start of the adventure.

Also, here is a summary of the rules in use:

Player's Handbooks 1 & 2
Dungeon Master's Guides 1 & 2
Monster Manuals 1 & 2
Adventurer's Vaults 1 & 2
Arcane Power
Divine Power
Martial Power 1 & 2
Primal Power
"Wish Upon a Star" (Dragon 366)

Notable books not on the list include, but are not limited to, the Eberron and Forgotten Realms rulebooks, the Manual of the Planes, and the Player's Handbook 3. Rules, including races and classes, from those and any others not on the list are not going to be used or allowed, except possibly for monsters, NPCs, or other DM-controlled phenomena.

Gaming Style
Please don't take a 75% combat game to be the same as one with no role-playing. In fact, I hope you will make up for in quality what you don't have in quantity. That being said, my primary criteria to judge players is cooperativeness and responsiveness. I'm not looking for first-class gamers, tacticians, statisticians or actors; I'm looking for people who are willing to make a sincere effort to play and create an enjoyable atmosphere together. [As Yukonhorror justly intimated, I'm not turning up my nose at first-class gamers, tacticians, statisticians, or actors, either!]

On that note, I don't feel that character creation should be about maximizing your abilities. For fourth edition D&D, you would do well to make sure your primary attacking stat is at least 16 if you want to hit your opponents, and don't give yourself powers and feats that you can't use. Beyond that, make the character you want to play. If you want to maximize or otherwise mechanically fine-tune your character, I won't punish you for it. However, I won't be happy if you come down on other players who chose a different approach, either in-game or out-of-character.

Party balance is not something I think you should worry about either. If I find myself running a game for five half-orc invokers tromping through the Feywild, that's fine with me. Don't bug other players about their character choices.

Finally, remember that this is an adventure, not a campaign. A character with a future is well-rounded and should be encouraged, but don't forget to focus on what your character is, not what their potential is. If you play through more than three-quarters of the adventure, you will probably reach eighth level, but that's basically it.

Scheduling and Updates
Further announcements on the state of the game can be found in The Autumn Knight thread, here: http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php/15814-The-Autumn-Knight

I am planning on running it every one to two weeks on chat. Days and times I'm considering are Thursday or Friday evenings, or Saturday or Sunday afternoons, all Pacific Daylight Time. Hopefully we will pick one day and time, and then stick with it. If you think you would like to participate in this adventure, please post in The Autumn Knight thread with which of those times you would be available.

The adventure will be divided into four sections, and I estimate each part will take two or three sessions to complete. If you plan on playing, I would like to ask that you make an effort commit to one section of play. At the end of each section, there will be an opportunity to replace players.

Right now, I have two confirmed and two potential players. I will post here with updates as to the status of the party.

If you think this will interest you, welcome! We're looking forward to hearing from you.

yukonhorror
04-16-2010, 07:49 AM
I guess being a first-class gamer, tactician, statistician, AND actor, I am out ;). Yeah, I don't think the time frames work for me. It would have been fun, but ahh well.

Good luck.

And for potential players, good DM here, you'll enjoy.

Umiushi
04-16-2010, 01:32 PM
I guess being a first-class gamer, tactician, statistician, AND actor, I am out ;). Yeah, I don't think the time frames work for me. It would have been fun, but ahh well.

Good luck.

And for potential players, good DM here, you'll enjoy.
I just wasn't looking for you when you found me. :)

Sorry to hear that none of the time frames work; I was looking forward to seeing what character you would present.

yukonhorror
04-16-2010, 01:47 PM
actually I missed that. Sunday afternoons, I very well could do that. Don't count me out if Sunday is the best time for all. I'll send you what I am thinking later today.

Umiushi
04-18-2010, 06:41 PM
I am soliciting input on scheduling this game for Sundays, starting at 2:00 pm PDT. Sessions would be every one to two weeks. If you would like to comment on the proposed schedule, please reply here: http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php/15814-The-Autumn-Knight

exhominem
04-20-2010, 09:30 AM
I'd be interested in Friday evenings and Saturday and Sunday afternoons.

Umiushi
04-20-2010, 04:06 PM
With Exhominem and two other new players, we have reached my goal of a five player party for this adventure. I would like to thank everyone for their interest. We will be playing from 2:00 pm to 6:00 pm PDT, aiming for every other Sunday, starting May 9th.

This adventure will be conducted in four parts, with the aim of completing each part in three sessions. At the conclusion of a segment of the adventure, there will be an opportunity to change player membership and revise the schedule. I will post here should either of these events occur.

Umiushi
04-21-2010, 04:14 AM
Due to some availability concerns, I would like to extend an invitation out to anyone who was interested in playing to still let me know. I cannot guarantee you a spot, but I will tell you how many players are ahead of you, if any. If you happen to be first or second in line, it would be a good idea to have a character ready, just in case.

I would also encourage any waiting players to examine some of the other current and open adventures in The Unquiet Lands setting: Romance of a Fallen Country (MapTool chat biweekly on Saturdays) and The Order of the Green Lion (opportunistic chat, and possibly a soon-to-come play-by-post game).

Umiushi
05-05-2010, 03:13 AM
It is short notice, but there is definitely one more opening for this adventure that will begin on Sunday (2:00 pm to 6:00 pm PDT). If you are interested, please read the first post on this thread for more information and also check out The Autumn Knight thread here: http://www.penandpapergames.com/foru...-Autumn-Knight (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/15814-The-Autumn-Knight)

If possible, I would like to have your character by available for review by Thursday. If you choose to participate, thank you in advance.

exhominem
05-06-2010, 01:08 PM
I'm going to have to pull out of the game. Life conspires against me having the time to do this. Sorry.

Umiushi
05-07-2010, 02:36 AM
Thank you, those who have replied, for your interest. The party to take on the first segment of the Autumn Knight adventure is now set. There will be at least one more space open for Part Two of the Autumn Knight, which will commence some time in summer. If you want to get on board for that early, let me know.

yukonhorror
06-16-2010, 10:33 AM
do we still need to find more people, or are we good to go??

Umiushi
07-06-2010, 02:10 AM
"Although the mine exhausted its mithral ore years before it fell into Glatisant's domain, the witch still finds a certain use for it. Namely, it's a location where she can deal with unwanted visitors. Even if you find your way out, your troubles may be far from over."

We are now seeking players for the second segment of the four-part adventure, The Autumn Knight. Please see post #1 for more details on character creation. New characters will be introduced in the Acanthras Mine, joining the main party in their mission to escape, seek out Glatisant the Unseelie witch, and find the relic known as the Prism Ostracon.

Chat sessions will be weekend (probably Saturday) afternoons, Pacific Daylight Time, every other week for the duration of the story segment, which is about three sessions. We're looking for party-and mission-oriented players who can commit to at least the length of a story segment. The party size is hoped to be five or six players; currently there are three. Other sought-after qualities include good prose and the willingness to communicate in a prompt and timely manner.

Please send me a private message, post here, or post in The Autumn Knight thread of The Unquiet Lands sub-forum if you are interested.

Umiushi
07-11-2010, 10:40 PM
The next Autumn Knight story is scheduled to begin on August 7th, but may start as early as July 24th if there is sufficient interest. There are still several places available in the party. Although a fair number of players have expressed interest, placement will be first-come-first-served based on who can provide characters. I will accept characters that are "mostly-done" (say, 90%) as long as they demonstrate an understanding of some of the setting-specific rules for character creation.

As always, we are looking for party-oriented players who have good communication and writing skills.

Umiushi
07-15-2010, 07:23 PM
The next Autumn Knight game will be at 2:00 pm PDT, Saturday, August 7th, with game-play beginning at 2:30 pm.

I currently have four players committed, with room to accept two more.

Placement will be first-come-first-served based on who can provide characters. I will accept characters that are "mostly-done" (say, 90%) as long as they demonstrate an understanding of most of the setting-specific rules for character creation. As always, we are looking for party-oriented players who have good communication and writing skill. Please send me a private message, post here, or post in The Autumn Knight thread of The Unquiet Lands sub-forum if you are interested.

Umiushi
07-23-2010, 10:07 PM
This is a reminder that the due date for signing up and providing a character for the Acanthras story segment of The Autumn Knight is July 30th, one week from today. While we are at the minimum preferred number to play, there are still two open slots available.

The next Autumn Knight game will be at 2:00 pm PDT, Saturday, August 7th, with game-play beginning at 2:30 pm. We will meet on P&PG Chat and conduct the game using MapTool. Placement will be first-come-first-served based on who can provide characters. I will accept characters that are "mostly-done" (say, 90%) as long as they demonstrate an understanding of most of the setting-specific rules for character creation. As always, we are looking for party-oriented players who have good communication and writing skill. Please send me a private message, post here, or post in The Autumn Knight thread of The Unquiet Lands sub-forum if you are interested.

Umiushi
07-29-2010, 05:59 AM
There are still one or two more openings left, but Friday July 30th is the last day I will be accepting new players for the Acanthras story of The Autumn Knight, unless I start losing players. If you do join, please have your character done by next Tuesday, but also remember that I am accepting players on a first-come-first-served basis measured by when I get the character sheet. Please see post #1 for details regarding character creation. Editing appears to be broken for post #1 so I'd like to note we are currently using MapTool version 1.3.b70.

The next Autumn Knight game will be at 2:00 pm PDT, Saturday, August 7th, with game-play beginning at 2:30 pm. We will meet on P&PG Chat and conduct the game using MapTool. As always, we are looking for party-oriented players who have good communication and writing skill. Please send me a private message, post here, or post in The Autumn Knight thread of The Unquiet Lands sub-forum if you are interested.

Umiushi
10-14-2010, 08:18 AM
"Rising above the scarlet and gold canopy, the vine-covered stone tower still maintains a grace inherited from long-ago days. It is encircled by a crumbling wall at a modest distance. A steady stream of smoke from an oven or cooking fire floats into the chilly sky from its courtyard, and belies any thought of the structure being a mere ruin."

Join us for the start of the second half of the four-part adventure, The Autumn Knight. Having escaped from the mines of Acanthras and driven off the Witch of Baubles for now, the party must find food and shelter, and get its bearings. The nearby building seems a good enough place to start. The next chat session will be held on Saturday, November 13th, starting at 3:30 pm PST.

If you wish to play, please have your character submitted to me at least a week in advance (by November 6th), and try to commit to the current story segment (three to four chat sessions) if possible. This is an adventure for 4th edition D&D characters of the 7th level, and further details concerning character creation can be found on post #1 of this thread.

Chat sessions will be weekend (probably Saturday) afternoons, Pacific Standard Time, every other week for the duration of the story segment, which is about three sessions. We're looking for party-and mission-oriented players who can commit to at least the length of a story segment. The party size is hoped to be five or six players; currently there are four. Other sought-after qualities include good prose and the ability to communicate in a prompt and timely manner.

Please send me a private message, post here, or post in The Autumn Knight thread of The Unquiet Lands sub-forum if you are interested.

The Autumn Knight thread - http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php/15814-The-Autumn-Knight
Calendar for chat games: http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php/16538-Chat-Calendar
General introduction to the Unquiet Lands D&D games at Pen and Paper Games - http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php/15563-The-Unquiet-Lands-Sub-forum-%28New-and-Potential-Players-Please-Start-Here%29
Player expectations - http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php/9509-Player-Guidelines

Umiushi
10-15-2010, 09:03 PM
The next chat session will be held on Saturday, November 13th, at 3:30 pm PST. Consequently, the deadline for character submissions is now November 6th. Still, I would encourage anyone who is interested in notifying me as soon as possible; the party will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis.

Umiushi
10-27-2010, 03:37 AM
A week and a half remains for any new entrants to the adventure to submit their characters. If you are interested, please don't feel that you have to initiate your conversation with me by having a character in hand. I will be happy to answer any inquiries in advance. However, characters are due, at least 90% complete, by November 6th. Hunt for a lost relic in the Forest of Thorns and complete the quest of the Autumn Knight, but don't fall prey to Glatisant, the Witch of Baubles!

Umiushi
11-04-2010, 07:28 PM
The third story segment of the Autumn Knight adventure is a commitment of three to four Saturday chat sessions roughly every two weeks, starting on November 13th, and using Maptool.

Currently, there are four to five players, and I wouldn't mind one or two more:

one dwarf warden
two elf rangers
one tiefling wizard
one human warlock (possible)

Any class-race combination from the 4th edition Dungeons and Dragons Player's Handbook or Player's Handbook 2 is allowed. All characters are at the seventh level of experience. Party cooperation and tolerance is a must. So are good communication skills and timely, prompt responses.

For more specific information, please see post #18 above: http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php/15841-The-Autumn-Knight?p=150489#post150489 and follow the links. Reading through the relevant links is always appreciated but at the same time, don't hesitate to send me any questions or concerns, or post questions to the Unquiet Lands sub-forum here.

If you're looking for a wilderness-heavy adventure with a dash of magic, I'll still be accepting players for two days.

YuriKitten
11-11-2010, 01:51 PM
The third story segment of the Autumn Knight adventure is a commitment of three to four Saturday chat sessions roughly every two weeks, starting on November 13th, and using Maptool.

Currently, there are four to five players, and I wouldn't mind one or two more:

one dwarf warden
two elf rangers
one tiefling wizard
one human warlock (possible)

Any class-race combination from the 4th edition Dungeons and Dragons Player's Handbook or Player's Handbook 2 is allowed. All characters are at the seventh level of experience. Party cooperation and tolerance is a must. So are good communication skills and timely, prompt responses.

For more specific information, please see post #18 above: http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php/15841-The-Autumn-Knight?p=150489#post150489 and follow the links. Reading through the relevant links is always appreciated but at the same time, don't hesitate to send me any questions or concerns, or post questions to the Unquiet Lands sub-forum here.

If you're looking for a wilderness-heavy adventure with a dash of magic, I'll still be accepting players for two days.

I'm guessing I'm too late to get in on this, but thought I'd go ahead and make a post expressing my interest. I'd be very interested in playing a Sorcerer or Bard.

Umiushi
11-15-2010, 07:22 PM
I'm guessing I'm too late to get in on this, but thought I'd go ahead and make a post expressing my interest. I'd be very interested in playing a Sorcerer or Bard.
Thank you for your interest. I responded via a private message last week, and hope you received it.

spacepope
11-20-2010, 12:09 AM
Im interesting in playing as well, Ill fill any spot needed.

Umiushi
11-20-2010, 06:05 AM
Im interesting in playing as well, Ill fill any spot needed.
Thank you for your interest, as well. I have sent a response to your private message.

LincolnGeertsen
11-21-2010, 04:55 PM
EXTREMELY sorry I missed the last session. there was nothing I could do :(... when's the next one?

Umiushi
11-22-2010, 03:59 AM
EXTREMELY sorry I missed the last session. there was nothing I could do :(... when's the next one?
If you are referring to the November 13th session, we're sorry we missed you. If you are talking about yesterday, that was canceled earlier this week and I think you need to stay current on this thread: http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php/15814-The-Autumn-Knight and this post: http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php/16538-Chat-Calendar?p=143972#post143972

To summarize, our next "solid" date is Saturday, December 11th and we are currently discussing whether to have slightly shorter sessions on the following Sundays: December 5th, December 19th, and December 26th.

Umiushi
02-05-2011, 12:59 AM
"Through the haze of swirling snow, you dimly spy the outlines of winged creatures circling high above. Their piercing voices echo hauntingly off the walls of the canyon."

Join us for the final story segment of the four-part adventure, The Autumn Knight. A witch is gone, a dragon is slain, and a curse is lifted, but the Prism Ostracon is yet to be found. The last clue to its location points to the cavern of Hroddzegor, called "Gildenfang," on the upper slopes of Mount Aufeis.

This is an adventure for 4th edition D&D characters of the 7th level, and further details concerning character creation can be found on post #1 of this thread. The party size is hoped to be five or six players; having lost two players at the conclusion of the last story segment, currently there are three. I will be accepting new players on a first-come, first-served basis timed from when a mostly-correct character is submitted to me.

As this is only for a few sessions, please do not consider this to be an adventure where character advancement will occur. However, if you find that you enjoyed your time playing and you get along with the rest of the group, I do run long-term campaigns with many of the same players.

Chat sessions will be weekend (probably Saturday) afternoons, Pacific Standard Time, roughly every other week. There are four or five sessions left in the adventure. We're looking for party-and mission-oriented players who can commit to completing The Autumn Knight. Other sought-after qualities include good prose and the ability to communicate in a prompt and timely manner.

The Autumn Knight thread - http://www.penandpapergames.com/foru...-Autumn-Knight (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php/15814-The-Autumn-Knight)
Calendar for chat games: http://www.penandpapergames.com/foru...-Chat-Calendar (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php/16538-Chat-Calendar)
General introduction to the Unquiet Lands D&D games at Pen and Paper Games - http://www.penandpapergames.com/foru...-Start-Here%29 (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php/15563-The-Unquiet-Lands-Sub-forum-%28New-and-Potential-Players-Please-Start-Here%29)
Player expectations - http://www.penandpapergames.com/foru...yer-Guidelines (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php/9509-Player-Guidelines)
Play expectations - http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php/9511-Character-and-Rules-Guidelines

Umiushi
02-14-2011, 03:27 AM
We have not yet begun Aufeis. Please see the post immediately before this one for details on the sort of players we are seeking. If a four or five session biweekly commitment to help with the conclusion of an adventure would suit you, please contact me. We will start on February 26th if there are enough players, and no later than March 19th regardless of the number of players.

Wasteomana
02-27-2011, 12:54 AM
I am looking to join an online game. Send me a message or email me at psychoticcheese@yahoo.com if you still need a player.

Umiushi
02-27-2011, 03:25 AM
Thank you for your interest, Wasteomana. This message is to let the other players know that I've seen your post and that we're in contact.

Umiushi
03-11-2011, 09:18 PM
The first session of the last story segment in The Autumn Knight will begin at 2:30 pm PDT, Saturday, March 19th. Joining entails a commitment of roughly five Saturday chat sessions, at intervals of one to three weeks. We meet in the Chat room at Pen and Paper and then use a Maptool server to conduct the game.

Currently there are five confirmed players, and space for one more. I will accept new players on a first-come, first-served manner, based on when I receive a nearly complete character sheet that follows the game's guidelines. Links to those guidelines can be found in this thread, and I will also be happy to mail them to potential players who inquire about the game.

If your character is interested in breaking into a dragon's lair, drop me a line.

Umiushi
03-13-2011, 08:35 PM
One more player may have to leave due to a scheduling conflict. I would say it's now probable that I have room for one more player, and possibly two. However, the deadline for character submissions is this Wednesday, March 16th. If you are interested in joining this adventure and committing to five gaming sessions, please let me know as soon as possible.

Umiushi
03-15-2011, 07:16 PM
A quick update: I have now confirmed that I have room for one, possibly two, more players. However, if you are interested in joining, you only have until Wednesday, March 16th. Information concerning the game is on this thread, particularly this post: http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php/15841-The-Autumn-Knight?p=155224#post155224

I will supply comprehensive information to anyone who contacts me before Thursday.

Umiushi
03-17-2011, 05:24 AM
I'm pleased to announce the final character roster for the expedition to Mount Aufeis:

DiscipleofYawgmoth, playing Kathra, a dwarf warden
JPatterson, playing Corw'ach, an elf ranger
Palpatim, playing Chant, a tiefling wizard
Seadogstyle, playing Orthrum, a dwarf ranger

Regards to the various players who submitted inquiries and to those who have played in the past. Maybe I'll meet some of you again in another game.

We will not be seeking further players for The Autumn Knight. I will make one last post on this thread at the conclusion of the adventure.

Umiushi
06-03-2011, 01:57 AM
"Corw'ach rushes across the bridge and onto the flagstones, digging into his pack and coming out with his last potion, sloshing the contents into her mouth, hoping she is still alive enough to feel its effects."

The last session of The Autumn Knight was held on May 14, 2011, and the adventure was successfully completed!

Thank you everyone who participated in this year-long adventure! A special congratulations to Seadogstyle, playing Orthrum; Jpatterson, playing Corw'ach; Palpatim, playing Chant; and DiscipleofYawgmoth, who was there from the beginning, playing Kathra. Also, a very honorable mention to Yukonhorror, playing Krenshaw, for three out of the four story segments.

The Prism Ostracon is back in the hands of the Drywkirdara; Isa's gratitude is upon the victorious party; Hroddzegor and Astercadentia are slain and their hoard is become heroes' plunder; Glatisant has fled the Forest of Thorns; and Listeneise, the Autumn Knight, at last knows a rest too deep to be troubled by any unfinished quest.