PDA

View Full Version : Why would a monk ever use a weapon?

Dr Berry
04-15-2010, 12:02 PM
I have always wondered why there even are special monk weapons. I really can't see any benefit from a monk who is at least mid-level using a weapon, under almost any circumstances. Can anybody here think of a good reason why a monk might use a weapon? I considered house-ruling that special monk weapons should also deal the monk's unarmed strike damage, but then that would mean monks would never have a reason to fight unarmed. Any ideas?

Cubanfrog
04-15-2010, 01:29 PM
One thing... magic weapons... You can't have +1 keen speed fists.

Arkhemedes
04-15-2010, 01:49 PM
Ever fight a gray ooze or a green slime with your bare hands?

BIGKILLA
04-15-2010, 06:29 PM
I have always wondered why there even are special monk weapons. I really can't see any benefit from a monk who is at least mid-level using a weapon, under almost any circumstances. Can anybody here think of a good reason why a monk might use a weapon? I considered house-ruling that special monk weapons should also deal the monk's unarmed strike damage, but then that would mean monks would never have a reason to fight unarmed. Any ideas?

Usually to overcome some kind of DR, thats the only real reason unless the player wants to roleplay a certian fighting style or whatnot that the monk posses.

d-_-b
04-17-2010, 06:40 PM
It is not strictly true that you cannot have magic fists in as much as several spells can be used to enchant natural weapons. Also, while certainly not common place, enchanted Ki straps or gloves for fighting is possible within the magic item generation rules even if it is more expensive to create such an item than it would be to create an equivalent weapon. Also the monks inherent abilities turn his/her fists into magic weapons in time.

The only real reason for a monk to use a weapon that I can think of is in order to offset the monks relatively poor Base Attack Bonus. The monk is a front line fighter without full Base Attack Bonus progression and using a weapon to make a single attack rather than a flurry, whether it is with a monk weapon or unarmed, means that the monk will not fail to connect more often than he would otherwise.

Give your monk a two handed reach weapon and be done with it. If you want to use the flurry use his/her feet.

Crom on his Mountain
04-17-2010, 07:32 PM
A monk of 6th level or higher takes no penalty to hit during a flurry, so that argument doesn't work. The only possible bonus is the ability to gain bonuses to specific maneuvers with specific weapons, but that's not worth the expense. Monk weapons = fail.

Aleucard
04-22-2010, 12:28 AM
The main reason is for access to useful weapon enchantments whenever necessary. There's only so much enchantment you can put on your natural weapons.

Arcan
04-28-2010, 07:11 AM
Ever fight a gray ooze or a green slime with your bare hands?

This. plus, it gets kinda hard to throw your hands and feet at someone that is staying out of reach. Any time you find llittle or no use for a class feature, it is because the DM isn't trying to creatively adapt his game to the PC's abilities.

ignimbrite
04-28-2010, 08:51 AM
overcoming high, specific DR - ever tried using a monk fist to get through DR 15/cold iron and good? It sucks, your 2d8+7(ish) is probably only going to do 1 point of damage, if all 5 of your flurries land you might end up doing 1-20 points in a whole round.
A fighter holding a +1 holy bane evil outsider cold iron greatsword is going to be doing a shed load more damage - but then that really is the tank's job and not the monk's.

cigamnogard
04-28-2010, 07:35 PM
Yeah but the tank can at least get the monk's flank bonus ;)

shilar
05-13-2010, 01:24 AM
mostly I just use them for low levels or for overcoming DR. Plus there is always the case off someone who can stay out of reach of even a speed demon like a monk.

tesral
05-14-2010, 12:17 AM
Because punching oozes and the like is a Bad Idea .

cplmac
05-14-2010, 09:48 AM
Then there are the undead and other creatures that require certain types of weapons to be able to hit and cause damage to them.

Dark
05-16-2010, 05:03 PM
I've a player in my tabletop game who plays a monk who carries weapons just for that reason.

Nat_20
05-23-2010, 03:36 PM
My group came up with brass knuckles for the monk. They go off the unarmed damage of the monk but can add a +1 and up to them. My favorite, +5 Flameburst. FLAMING FLURRY OF BLOWS!!!! as far as other stats, then just function as punching daggers for other classes(except bludgeoning damage, of course.)

ironface
05-23-2010, 08:03 PM
Dave Arneson who originally created the monk class based it on David Carradine's roll of Kwai Chang Caine in " Kung Fu" and in the TV show he was proficient with various weapon types. So it's only natural for a monk in DnD to use them as well.