PDA

View Full Version : [SUPERS!] Newest product

Simon W
04-02-2010, 04:42 AM
SUPERS! (http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=79977#previews) was released just this week:

Supers! is a game all about playing costumed heroes - the kinds of hero you see in good old-fashioned comic books. These heroes are larger-than-life; they have high ideals and they know right from wrong. Their world is black-and-white; they are good and the villains are bad. There are no real grey areas. Their cause is justice, liberty and freedom. They seek to protect the weak and defend the common man. Most are loved by all; some are misunderstood and don't get the adoration they feel they deserve. But regardless, they strive to do the right thing and aim to make a difference. The basics of the rules are very straightforward - roll a few dice and try to beat a number. As long as you remember that, you can't go too far wrong. Enjoy!

- are there any questions you'd like to ask?

Simon W
04-03-2010, 08:54 AM
SUPERS! is now also in print, in several versions to suit your pocket, via LULU (http://stores.lulu.com/store.php?fAcctID=1016378)

Remember to put "EASTER" in the coupon code, for a 20% dicount over the Easter period.

Simon W
04-04-2010, 05:09 AM
How about coming up with some new Powers, Boosts or Complications? Or some new Ads/Disads?

Here's a new Power Complication:

Power Degenerates
Each time it is used in the same adventure, the Power may become less effective. Each time you use the Power and it fails (i.e. you do not beat the opposing number) roll 1D fewer next time, until it reaches 0D when you can no longer use it at all. The Power is recharged to it's full capacity in readiness for the next adventure.

Simon W
04-09-2010, 01:09 AM
Newer POWER COMPLICATION (Thanks Jeff)

ACTIVATION
The Power requires the character to do something to make it work – speaking a “magic” word, clicking your heels together, holding your arms aloft or similar.

Nathan H.
04-21-2010, 10:54 PM
Hey Simon, great game!
I've got a quick question; can I use the same Resistance more than once a round, without incurring the -1D per defense? Or do Resistances and Aptitudes work just like Powers, when it comes to defending?
Thanks again!

-Nathan

Simon W
04-22-2010, 02:37 AM
Hey Simon, great game!
I've got a quick question; can I use the same Resistance more than once a round, without incurring the -1D per defense? Or do Resistances and Aptitudes work just like Powers, when it comes to defending?
Thanks again!

-Nathan

Hey thanks!

No, any Power, Aptitude or Resistance can only be used once in a round to defend. I'll make this clearer in any future update of the rules.

I'm also thinking that perhaps there should be a cap on Resistances (maybe like the Aptitude cap) for normals. Therefore, they might have a resistance of 4D, but can only ever use the result of the best 3D in defence. I think it's implied but not stated in the rules, as is.

Nathan H.
04-23-2010, 01:48 AM
Thanks Simon.

Having the normals different from those with powers was really the only thing that threw me off at first. I had to reread the rule about if you have more than 3 dice in an Aptitude, just count the highest 3 dice. I'm not sure how I feel about it, the differentiation between mundane and the super.

It seems odd to really worry at all about the mundane in a game modeling superheroes.

But then again, the mundane for superheroes is often times harder then the fantastic. Love lives, money problems and family squabbles.

It's knowing what mundane struggles are important, and if that importance would be better served with math, or not.

It's often times tough to wrap my head around role playing games. They're a weird beast.

Simon W
04-23-2010, 02:05 AM
Thanks Simon.

Having the normals different from those with powers was really the only thing that threw me off at first. I had to reread the rule about if you have more than 3 dice in an Aptitude, just count the highest 3 dice. I'm not sure how I feel about it, the differentiation between mundane and the super.

It seems odd to really worry at all about the mundane in a game modeling superheroes.

But then again, the mundane for superheroes is often times harder then the fantastic. Love lives, money problems and family squabbles.

It's knowing what mundane struggles are important, and if that importance would be better served with math, or not.

It's often times tough to wrap my head around role playing games. They're a weird beast.

The point is that there is a limit to how well you can do without a Super Power. However, the more dice you have in an Aptitude or Resistance, the more likely you are going to be able to achieve a high number (18). Competency dice can also help you out if you are a "normal" and allow you to achieve better-than-normal-success. So, if you are a Batman-type Super, best to have a whole bunch of Competency dice in your pool to draw upon if you are fighting guys with real Powers.

hogscape
04-23-2010, 06:15 AM
Mundanes need to be viable using the same rules that the Supers use - it puts the abilities of the Supers into perspective (if everyone your Super meets is a Super, you become mundane).

My favourite Supers style is the 'low-powered' Supers game - BBG Supers manages this with ease.

Simon W
04-24-2010, 08:39 AM
Here's a new optional rule for the SUPERS! Sourcebook

At the beginning of a new round, any character that suffered a loss of Reaction during the previous round must re-roll for his position in the order of combat.

Simon W
04-28-2010, 12:34 PM
WOW! Leisure Games ran out of both SUPERS! and Dogs of W*A*R in about a week and have placed a re-order for both. Cool.

cliff
04-28-2010, 12:53 PM
Great news! Is being an indie giving you enough to live on, or do you still need to maintain a day job?

Simon W
04-28-2010, 01:27 PM
Great news! Is being an indie giving you enough to live on, or do you still need to maintain a day job?

I have a day job, but I only need to work part time.

Simon W
05-03-2010, 12:05 PM
Here's Firefox (http://beyondbeliefgames.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/firefox.pdf), a character from the upcoming SUPERS! Sourcebook

Malakor
05-04-2010, 06:50 AM
Nice. I'm planning on running a demo of SUPERS! at our local store Saturday, I'm gonna snag her and make her a villain :D Let her be part of a triumvirate of evil with Tombstone and Headstone :eek:

Simon W
05-04-2010, 11:08 AM
Here's Commander Power (http://beyondbeliefgames.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/commander-power.pdf) from the SUPERS! Sourcebook

---------- Post added at 10:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 AM ----------

And here's Cobweb (http://beyondbeliefgames.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/cobweb.pdf)...

Malakor
05-05-2010, 04:44 AM
Those are awesome. Love Cobweb

urbwar
05-09-2010, 12:40 PM
Here's Commander Power (http://beyondbeliefgames.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/commander-power.pdf) from the SUPERS! Sourcebook

You need to edit his superstrength listing. It says he can "Life 1 ton" :lol:

btw, has the printed version on Lulu been updated with all the recent errata?

Simon W
05-09-2010, 04:24 PM
You need to edit his superstrength listing. It says he can "Life 1 ton" :lol:

I've done it to the main document

btw, has the printed version on Lulu been updated with all the recent errata?

Yes. The other good news is Cubicle 7 will be publishing SUPERS! :biggrin: The date we're aiming for is September 2010.

tesral
05-12-2010, 01:28 AM

Editing!!! Commander Power has some serious issues.

Simon W
05-12-2010, 01:34 AM
Editing!!! Commander Power has some serious issues.

Don't worry, in the main document he is fine. :cool:

urbwar
05-12-2010, 03:20 AM
Yes. The other good news is Cubicle 7 will be publishing SUPERS! :biggrin: The date we're aiming for is September 2010.

which leads to my next questions...

1) Will it be revised similar to the Legendary Edition of BoL (ie a bit more content), or stay the same as it is currently.

2) What formats will it be available by Cubicle 7 (softcover/hardcover, b&W or color?)

3) If it is the same as the current version, how long will the current version via Lulu remain available?

4) You still going to allow the 3rd party stuff?

Nathan H.
05-12-2010, 07:31 AM
Congratulations on Cubicle 7 picking this up!

Simon W
05-12-2010, 09:03 AM
which leads to my next questions...

1) Will it be revised similar to the Legendary Edition of BoL (ie a bit more content), or stay the same as it is currently.

2) What formats will it be available by Cubicle 7 (softcover/hardcover, b&W or color?)

3) If it is the same as the current version, how long will the current version via Lulu remain available?

4) You still going to allow the 3rd party stuff?

1) Basically the same as it is currently, just with minor tweaks.

There will be a sourcebook (pdf first maybe in print later on, if there is demand) covering any major changes - new powers/ads/disads and some new pcs/villains, a few more locations for Emporium City (Supersville) and so on.

2) Softcover, full colour

3) maybe 2 months

4) Yes

Hope this helps

urbwar
05-12-2010, 08:01 PM
1) Basically the same as it is currently, just with minor tweaks.

There will be a sourcebook (pdf first maybe in print later on, if there is demand) covering any major changes - new powers/ads/disads and some new pcs/villains, a few more locations for Emporium City (Supersville) and so on.

2) Softcover, full colour

3) maybe 2 months

4) Yes

Hope this helps

Definitely helps. I was going to buy a print copy this month, but think I'll wait for the C7 version (if only this was set up awhile ago, I could have pre-ordered it when I pre-ordered the 2nd edition of De Profundis!)

Simon W
05-16-2010, 02:38 AM
SUPERS! is now available for preorder (http://shop.cubicle7store.com/epages/es113347.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es113347_shop/Categories/Beyond_Belief_Games)!

Nathan H.
05-29-2010, 07:15 PM
Simon, have you thought about making cards to keep track of what action(Resistance, Aptitude, or Power)you used during that turn? It might not be a bad idea?

Oh, and I just bought the Sourcebook. I'm very pleased!

Simon W
05-30-2010, 02:13 AM
Simon, have you thought about making cards to keep track of what action(Resistance, Aptitude, or Power)you used during that turn? It might not be a bad idea?

Oh, and I just bought the Sourcebook. I'm very pleased!

Cards?

No, I hadn't thought of that. Good idea though...just not quite sure how I'd go about making them

tesral
05-30-2010, 07:39 AM
Cards?

No, I hadn't thought of that. Good idea though...just not quite sure how I'd go about making them

Guild of Blades, custom cards. (http://www.gobretail.com/podcards.php)

Good luck with that.

Nathan H.
06-05-2010, 01:49 PM
I've got some more questions and comments, Simon.
I'll just rattle 'em off, if you don't mind.
Are the Aptitudes gained from Super Brain treated as Mundane(roll as many dice, take the highest 3)?
Shouldn't Ubermind's Academia and Technology be 5D instead of 3(pg. 68)? Unless of course, instead of Academia and Technology, characters gain a Specialty in each? What about using Super Brain for two other Aptitudes? Like Investigation and Presence?
The Healing Power seems really cheap and powerful, if I have 3D in Healing, on the average I'll be able to Heal 10D of Resistance loss? Why not some kind of opposed roll, like you would if fighting?
On pg. 9, under Will you describe it as "...speed of thought and spirit".
On that same page, you describe Reaction as "speed of thought and action".
You may wanna clarify these a bit?
I mean, I understand 'em, but you may wanna make each Resistance distinct.

Maybe having a Power Complication simply named Attack and another Defend, since the whole Energy Control(only to attack) thing is likely to come up very often? Heck in the Sourcebook you give Tombstone an Energy Blast.

I just got my B&W copy from Lulu in the mail today.
They did a good job, and I really like the size of it.
My only complaint would be that the name on the spine could be a bit bigger and bolder.
It'd be hard to read between my other books on the shelf.
Maybe if ya put Supers! and the Sourcebook, together into a single book, it'd be easier?

Simon W
06-06-2010, 02:25 AM
I've got some more questions and comments, Simon.
I'll just rattle 'em off, if you don't mind.
Are the Aptitudes gained from Super Brain treated as Mundane(roll as many dice, take the highest 3)?

Yes.

Shouldn't Ubermind's Academia and Technology be 5D instead of 3(pg. 68)? Unless of course, instead of Academia and Technology, characters gain a Specialty in each? ?

That's the idea, yes.

What about using Super Brain for two other Aptitudes? Like Investigation and Presence?

Or Medical? Yes. That would work.

The Healing Power seems really cheap and powerful, if I have 3D in Healing, on the average I'll be able to Heal 10D of Resistance loss? Why not some kind of opposed roll, like you would if fighting??

I'll look into it.

On pg. 9, under Will you describe it as "...speed of thought and spirit".
On that same page, you describe Reaction as "speed of thought and action".
You may wanna clarify these a bit? I mean, I understand 'em, but you may wanna make each Resistance distinct.

I'll look at that too.

Maybe having a Power Complication simply named Attack and another Defend, since the whole Energy Control(only to attack) thing is likely to come up very often? Heck in the Sourcebook you give Tombstone an Energy Blast.

I don't see what you mean. Could you clarify?

I just got my B&W copy from Lulu in the mail today.
They did a good job, and I really like the size of it.
My only complaint would be that the name on the spine could be a bit bigger and bolder.
It'd be hard to read between my other books on the shelf.
Maybe if ya put Supers! and the Sourcebook, together into a single book, it'd be easier?

Cool, I'm glad you like it. Yeah, I think it looks good (in colour it looks even better. I even did a few personal copies in full colour & hardcover and those are fantastic!)

I've been speaking with Cubicle 7 recently and they would rather put it out in one book, so I'm merging the files. It'll be a 115 full colour, softcover book in 6"x9". Publication will be September. I will put the 50 page sourcebook up on sale on LULU shortly, for anyone who picked up a copy of the core book. But I will only leave it there for about a month, before I have to remove both books from sale.

I'm just glad people are taking some notice of my game, with all the hype surrounding ICONS!

Nathan H.
06-06-2010, 11:02 AM
Simon, I just think you've got a better game.

So, Super Brain gives you 2 Specialties at the same level? You might wanna better clarify that? It reads like 2 Aptitudes.

Oh, and to try and clarify about the Limited Use Complication. I just think it may be nice to have a specific Complication named "Attack" and "Defend", simply for the fact that they've come up fairly often. It's just a little counter-intuitive to first see Energy Control, and then look to see, "oh gee, she can only attack with it". The words Energy Control are misleading in that example. I just wish there would be a clearer way to write Powers so they could explain themselves quicker. Like if Boosts and Complications were simple words that added to a root word. Powers would be made by combining words, not tacked on at the end like Champions or GURPS. That's all, just a minor quibble. I'm a gamer, so I understand the whole effects-based thing, but I can see how someone new to role playing could have a tougher time. Instead of "Robot Rocket Fist", you have Super Strength 4D[Device], Flying 4D[Device, Limited Use - Hand Only] or Fighting 3D, [Rocket-Propelled Fist 5D*]

It's great that most of the Powers, and Aptitudes can be used for both. It's really one of the best things about the game. It rewards players for describing what their character does.

Nathan H.
06-06-2010, 09:01 PM
Skirting both purely effects-based powers(content) and cafeteria-style, pick & choose powers(context), is an ideal place to be.
Supers! gets pretty darn close to this simply by being simple.

Simon, not including the games you've designed, what games helped in designing Supers!?
Other then simplicity, what other design goals did you have?

Simon W
06-07-2010, 01:49 AM
Skirting both purely effects-based powers(content) and cafeteria-style, pick & choose powers(context), is an ideal place to be.
Supers! gets pretty darn close to this simply by being simple.

Simon, not including the games you've designed, what games helped in designing Supers!?
Other then simplicity, what other design goals did you have?

The first "draft" of what went on to become SUPERS! was a game I wrote for Iron Game Chef 2003 called SuperCity - I'm not sure whether it's online anywhere now. (Game Chef is that competition where you have to make a game incorporating 4 random words, in this case Blood, Song, Volcano, Sphere. I made those into superhero names and then wrote my very simple game). I actually wrote that game for two teams, each run by a different GM - you'd have one supervillain team causing mayhem and one superhero tean trying to stop them. I playtested it with a bunch of friends at a "gaming party", then filed it away.
I recently wanted to run a supers game for my group but because my group don't like character generation taking longer than about 10 minutes and get irritated with too much crunch, I wasn't going to be able to run M&M, Champions or most of the other usual suspects. V&V was an old favourite and I thought about doing a simplified "retro-clone" type of thing, then remembered SuperCity and dusted that off and set to work.
My goals were to design a supers game that I would like to run and my group would like to play and that only uses D6s. When I'd got some way through, I figured if they liked it, there would be others that would too so I got hold of Darrel and set him to work doing some more art for it. The only other Supers game I specifically referred to for inspiration was BASH! (I prefer the first edition). I guess the dice pool thing is a little like the D6 system but only superficially.

Here's a little competition for you all:

Design four SUPERS! characters using the four words Blood, Song, Sphere, Volcano, incorporated into their names, so for example, I made Sphere into The Golden Sphere, a kind of Green Lantern type of character, who uses a small golden globe to do super-things with, like it grows and surrounds her bathing her in a golden glow, enabling her to fly and creating a force field and so on.

Simon W
06-11-2010, 01:11 AM
Design four SUPERS! characters using the four words Blood, Song, Sphere, Volcano, incorporated into their names, so for example, I made Sphere into The Golden Sphere, a kind of Green Lantern type of character, who uses a small golden globe to do super-things with, like it grows and surrounds her bathing her in a golden glow, enabling her to fly and creating a force field and so on.

Would it help if there was a prize? :p

Nathan H.
06-11-2010, 09:57 AM
Would it help if there was a prize? :pI'm sure it wouldn't hurt. I've just been busy. I'm gonna do this, really! It's not too much to ask. Sphere's gonna be a Device though, not a Character.

magehammer
06-15-2010, 12:17 PM
Working on it...

magehammer
06-15-2010, 04:45 PM
Here is my best attempt at a Sphere hero. I am pretty sure I created him right. Check my math, please. But here he is...

The Resilient Sphere

TYPE: Hero [20D]

RESISTANCES

Composure 2D
Fortitude 3D
Reaction 3D
Will 3D

APTITUDES

Ahtleticism 2D
Fighting 3D
All the rest 1D

POWERS NOTES, BOOSTS,
COMPLICATIONS

Energy Control (Force) 6D
Complication: Limited Use: Only create Force Spheres of varying sizes.

Complication: Concentration

Telekinesis 6D
Complication: Only affects his own Force Spheres

Super Strength 1D

ADS

Wealthy

DISADS

Public ID

Competency Pool: 0D

NOTES/ORIGINS
Otis Luke was one of the most promising rookies with the Cleveland Cruisers basketball team. After his first season, he had taken the team to the playoffs. However, when the Evolution began, he found himself one of the Evolved. During a night on the town, an overzealous fan tried to push things too far in trying to get an autograph. On reflex, Otis created small force fields around his hands and punched the fan hard. The man flew a few feet and was dangerously close to dying. Otis called 9-1-1 on his cell phone and the safety services arrived in time to save the deranged fan. Otis now had to learn to live with his powers and quit professional ball. He had a new role in life. One he chose to use to help others. He has since learned to encapsulate himself and others in his force spheres and use them as ranged attacks as well. He has registered with the government per the Evolution Census Act of 2013 and continues to do endorsements for various corporations. However, his main mission is helping others in the newly Evolved world.

flyingcircus
07-18-2010, 01:09 PM
Were are the in print SUPERS! books on Lulu, I had seen them was going to purchase today and can't find them now?

Simon W
07-18-2010, 01:22 PM
Were are the in print SUPERS! books on Lulu, I had seen them was going to purchase today and can't find them now?

Sorry about that. I had to take them down due to Cubicle 7 now handling the print/distribution.

Beyond Belief Games at Cubicle 7 (http://shop.cubicle7store.com/epages/es113347.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es113347_shop/Categories/Beyond_Belief_Games)

The good news is that they're now combined into one full-colour book :biggrin:

flyingcircus
07-18-2010, 10:02 PM
Sorry about that. I had to take them down due to Cubicle 7 now handling the print/distribution.

Beyond Belief Games at Cubicle 7 (http://shop.cubicle7store.com/epages/es113347.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es113347_shop/Categories/Beyond_Belief_Games)

The good news is that they're now combined into one full-colour book :biggrin:

Oh, wow excellent. I just placed a pre-order for it. So it has the Core & the Sourcebook all in one?:eek:

Narmer
09-01-2010, 07:36 PM
(snip)

I hope its not to late to play. Here is my first entry:

Colin Savage effectively became an orphan at the age of 5 when his father went to prison for life and his mother fell into an abyss of drugs and alcohol. Bounced between uncaring relatives and foster homes, he grew up a petty thief and a thug. One night he cornered a young woman in a dark alley. But things didn't go as expected. He was saved from a grotesque death by Commander Power, who happened to be patrolling in the area. The woman escaped when Commander Power realized how near death Colin was and rushed him to the nearest hospital instead of pursuing the her. Colin made a near-miraculous recovery from his wounds in a very short time. Slowly, over the next several week his powers, and the thirst, manifested themselves. Now called Blood Fiend, Colin is gathering minions in a bid to make himself the dark lord of Supersville's criminal underworld.

Blood Fiend

Resistances
Composure 2D
Fortitude 3D
Reaction 2D
Will 3D

Aptitudes
Intrusion 3D
Streetwise 2D
All the Rest 1D

Powers
Vampiric Powers 4D
Mind Control 4D
Flight 1D
Super Senses
-Heightened Scent 1D
-Night Sight 1D
Super Strength 2D

Ads
Charismatic

Disads
Addiction - Blood

urbwar
09-04-2010, 11:17 AM
Any eta on when the C7 print version is due this month?

Simon W
09-04-2010, 04:45 PM
Any eta on when the C7 print version is due this month?

I think it is the 29th September but don't hold me to it!

urbwar
09-05-2010, 03:00 AM
I think it is the 29th September but don't hold me to it!

I was just wondering, as I have this on preorder, along with De Profundis, which was delayed like 2 months all ready

Simon W
09-05-2010, 10:36 AM
I was just wondering, as I have this on preorder, along with De Profundis, which was delayed like 2 months all ready

Well, the file is with Cubicle 7 and they've had it for several months, so if there is any delay, it isn't due to me!

urbwar
09-06-2010, 02:55 AM
Well, the file is with Cubicle 7 and they've had it for several months, so if there is any delay, it isn't due to me!

Well, I just hope it's soon. As much as I like the pdf, I prefer a book to delve into. I had wanted to try and run this for the next Gotham Gaming Guild, but as the release date is too close to when that starts, I won't be able to, sad to say.

urbwar
09-21-2010, 03:48 AM
Simon,

I got an email from Angus, and in it he states Supers! will be out in mid-late October, after De Profundis. He said it will go to the printer either later this week, or early next week. Just thought I'd give you a heads up on that

Jaysun
10-31-2010, 01:59 PM
Last night I printed out the PDF...looks great! Transferring over the kids characters over from BASH today. I am definitely planning on picking up the printed edition from Cubicle 7. Excellent work!

Any plans for future supplements in the works? Or even a third-party license?

Simon W
10-31-2010, 05:36 PM
Last night I printed out the PDF...looks great! Transferring over the kids characters over from BASH today. I am definitely planning on picking up the printed edition from Cubicle 7. Excellent work!

Any plans for future supplements in the works? Or even a third-party license?

Third party license? Yeah, I should have put something in the book! Contact me if you want to do something with Supers!

Darrel Miller ()the guy that did the art) has some things on RPGNow for Supers!

urbwar
11-01-2010, 02:48 AM
I'm hoping to do something for Supers! down the road. Waiting for the print version, then for the artist I'm working with to get the art done. Probably won't be for a few months though.

Simon W
11-01-2010, 10:13 AM
I'm hoping to do something for Supers! down the road. Waiting for the print version, then for the artist I'm working with to get the art done. Probably won't be for a few months though.

The print version shouldn't be too much longer - it's at the printers!

tesral
11-01-2010, 11:26 AM
That is generally what printers do, print things.

Simon W
11-01-2010, 12:18 PM
That is generally what printers do, print things.

Sometimes they seem to try everything they can do NOT to print things....

tesral
11-01-2010, 01:05 PM
I've run into that as well. You have to wonder.

Jaysun
11-01-2010, 05:15 PM

Awesome! Tonight I'm setting down and going to run an adventure with the kids (first run with this system).

Simon W
11-02-2010, 02:37 AM
Awesome! Tonight I'm setting down and going to run an adventure with the kids (first run with this system).

Please let us know how it goes

urbwar
11-02-2010, 02:57 AM

Yeah, Angus had told me that when I sent an email a few months back about Supers! and De Profundis. Got De Profundis, so now I'm just waiting for Supers! To show up. Hope it arrives around the 17th, as that's my birthday

Jaysun
11-02-2010, 06:35 AM
Please let us know how it goes

The game went great. We all had fun, no complaints about the rule...things ran smoothly. We will definitely be making Supers our superhero rpg. Good stuff!

Narmer
11-03-2010, 01:54 PM
The game went great. We all had fun, no complaints about the rule...things ran smoothly. We will definitely be making Supers our superhero rpg. Good stuff!

Very good to hear. There is just something about the simplicity and flexibility of the rules that makes them great for kids.

Jaysun
11-03-2010, 05:15 PM
Contact me if you want to do something with Supers!

PM sent.

urbwar
11-07-2010, 11:32 AM
Simon,

Do you have a logo for 3rd party publishers to use when releasing stuff for Supers!?

I couldn't remember if you had one or not

Simon W
11-07-2010, 01:08 PM
Simon,

Do you have a logo for 3rd party publishers to use when releasing stuff for Supers!?

I couldn't remember if you had one or not

I should, but I don't. Perhaps I can get Darrel to put one together for me...

urbwar
11-08-2010, 02:40 AM
I should, but I don't. Perhaps I can get Darrel to put one together for me...

You should. Since what I'm hoping to do will be for multiple games, having a logo for Supers! would help point out which system it's for :)

urbwar
11-14-2010, 02:05 AM
so I guess this won't be out in time for my birthday this Wednesday. Bummer

Simon W
11-14-2010, 05:42 AM
so I guess this won't be out in time for my birthday this Wednesday. Bummer

C7 had the file in good time...I guess their release schedule is a tad unrealistic...

Jaysun
11-14-2010, 11:06 AM
C7 had the file in good time...I guess their release schedule is a tad unrealistic...

Not sure about their other lines but when it comes to their Doctor Who product line the release schedule is insanely out of sync...proposed release and actual release way off.

urbwar
11-15-2010, 08:40 AM

De Profundis came out at the time Angus told me he would. He said Supers! was going to follow. Oh well, maybe we'll get lucky, and it will be out in time for Thanksgiving

urbwar
11-20-2010, 09:03 AM
Simon,

Got this comment from C7 after I posted a comment on the photo for the cover of Supers!

We had some formatting problems with the files we received and are currently waiting to hear back form the printers to see if they can convert them over. It won't be this side of Christmas now though, regardless of the outcome with the current files. Sorry.You'd think they would at least keep you informed about issues like this, so you can keep customers of your game up to date on delays. As much as I admire C7, they have a bad habit of overlooking the smaller releases while they pimp their bigger ones...

Jaysun
11-20-2010, 10:19 AM
Dang that sucks.

Simon W
11-20-2010, 11:02 AM
Simon,

Got this comment from C7 after I posted a comment on the photo for the cover of Supers!

You'd think they would at least keep you informed about issues like this, so you can keep customers of your game up to date on delays. As much as I admire C7, they have a bad habit of overlooking the smaller releases while they pimp their bigger ones...

I'm not sure the advantages of going with Cubicle 7 have necessarily outweighed the disadvantages, so I'm thinking of just going with RPGNow/LULU in future.

urbwar
11-21-2010, 02:48 AM
I'm not sure the advantages of going with Cubicle 7 have necessarily outweighed the disadvantages, so I'm thinking of just going with RPGNow/LULU in future.

Did you have similar issues with BoL? regardless, it really does suck how long it's taking to get this book out. They keep pushing other books, and don't even let people know this is delayed until I asked. I don't blame you for wanting to just use RPGNow/Lulu for future releases after this

Simon W
11-21-2010, 06:01 AM
Did you have similar issues with BoL? regardless, it really does suck how long it's taking to get this book out. They keep pushing other books, and don't even let people know this is delayed until I asked. I don't blame you for wanting to just use RPGNow/Lulu for future releases after this

The advantages are that you get wider distribution & exposure through retail and through conventions and so on. This is a really good thing and without it BoL would never have got the recognition it deserves.

The disadvantages are that the cost of the book inevitably increases (even though I actually receive less per copy sold), you have another part in the "chain", so things are delayed, they have other "bigger" things on their plate (hence more delay) you have to dance to their tune a bit, you have to wait ages to get paid, their printers come back with problems that LULU's printers don't seem to have, I can easily set LULU to do both hardcover and softcover versions (not so easy with C7) and so on...

Nathan H.
11-21-2010, 02:16 PM
Simon,

Have ya tried publishing it on your own? Self-publishing? I'm not sure how cost effective Lulu is?
I mean, it's how I bought Supers!, but it doesn't seem cost effective from where I'm sitting.
It's gotta be cheaper to print out a few hundred books or whatever, then set up a website selling your own books.
I'm thinking you could change a bit less for the books, therefor getting them into more people's hands, and hopefully playing it.
But then again, not everyone wants to take the time and effort into doing the self-publishing thing.
How much do you get from Lulu selling ...let's say a copy of Supers!(1st ed.)?

urbwar
11-22-2010, 02:36 AM
Simon,

Have ya tried publishing it on your own? Self-publishing? I'm not sure how cost effective Lulu is?
I mean, it's how I bought Supers!, but it doesn't seem cost effective from where I'm sitting.
It's gotta be cheaper to print out a few hundred books or whatever, then set up a website selling your own books.
I'm thinking you could change a bit less for the books, therefor getting them into more people's hands, and hopefully playing it.
But then again, not everyone wants to take the time and effort into doing the self-publishing thing.
How much do you get from Lulu selling ...let's say a copy of Supers!(1st ed.)?

The fewer you print, the more it costs to print each copy. That's why so many smaller operations like Simon use Lulu in the first place. I seriously doubt it would be more cost effective. You have to store the books somewhere, and that costs money (I know, as I've worked in distribution before), then you add in the cost for the smaller print run, then the costs for shipping (Lulu has printers in both Europe and North America; Simon is in the UK, so if he pre-prints, he has to charge more for shipping to Canada/USA). I don't see how doing that over Lulu is better for him in any way. He has to shell out cash ahead of time, and hope he makes a profit. At least with Lulu, he gets a portion of each sale, and he's also getting pdf sales in for his books. That looks far more win-win to me than pre-printing a few hundred books. I have the BoL hardcover and Dogs of W*A*R* that Simon had via Lulu, and the quality is just as good (and in some cases better) than books I've bought from larger companies who do print runs on their own.

Even White Wolf has books listed on Lulu (I've seen the core books for some of their NWoD lines listed as softcovers on Lulu recently)

urbwar
11-23-2010, 02:27 AM
btw Simon,

Did you ever come up with a log for 3rd party publishers?

Simon W
11-23-2010, 06:26 AM
btw Simon,

Did you ever come up with a log for 3rd party publishers?

No, sorry...

Just say SUPERS! compatible (it's Badaboompro font, for reference)

urbwar
01-03-2011, 10:39 AM
Simon,

Have you heard anything from C7 about when Supers! will be out in print yet?

Simon W
01-05-2011, 11:39 AM
I wish I knew. I don't hear anything from C7 at the moment. I have a feeling they may have taken on a bit too much at the moment.

urbwar
01-06-2011, 02:29 AM
I wish I knew. I don't hear anything from C7 at the moment. I have a feeling they may have taken on a bit too much at the moment.

I definitely agree they've taken on too much. It sucks that your game gets back burned because of it. I pre-ordered the book, but I wish you had it still on Lulu, cause I'd cancel my preorder with them, and put the money in your pocket.

Simon W
01-06-2011, 09:29 AM
I took it down from LULU on the basis of the C7 deal. The annoying thing is that it was getting a lot of attention on several forums 8-10 months ago and if I'd kept it on LULU, I'd have made some good sales (and I could have done with the money). Now it looks like it won't be until at least Feb that it goes on sale and it'll be lost amongst all C7's other stuff. I'll be lucky to see any money at all from SUPERS! once the printers, distributors and C7 have taken their cut. Still, I've learned a good lesson from this and I will be withdrawing from C7 gradually and getting everything back under my own wing again during this year.

urbwar
01-07-2011, 02:50 AM
I took it down from LULU on the basis of the C7 deal. The annoying thing is that it was getting a lot of attention on several forums 8-10 months ago and if I'd kept it on LULU, I'd have made some good sales (and I could have done with the money). Now it looks like it won't be until at least Feb that it goes on sale and it'll be lost amongst all C7's other stuff. I'll be lucky to see any money at all from SUPERS! once the printers, distributors and C7 have taken their cut. Still, I've learned a good lesson from this and I will be withdrawing from C7 gradually and getting everything back under my own wing again during this year.

It kind of ticks me off how they treat some games. On top of that, they seem to get gathering up the supers game of 2010 (ICONS, Supers! and now BASH UE will be rereleased by them, which worries me also), but only ICONS really got the attention, and Supers! got shunted like an unwanted stepchild. I'm worried they're going to end up doing the same thing to BASH UE too. I really hate not having the book yet. I still want to support Supers! with a 3rd party release, but without a rulebook, I guess it's good I delayed putting something together (even for the other games I was going to do it in)

urbwar
01-07-2011, 01:12 PM
I got a coupon for a copy of the Supers! PDF (because of my preorder), which is kind of funny, as I bought it (and the old supplement) direct from RPGNow when it came out. I guess in a way that's a good sign, because that hopefully means the book is at (or being resent) to the printer.

tesral
01-07-2011, 04:29 PM
Wishing luck on this. I haven't heard much from any of the Indie guys of late.

Simon W
01-08-2011, 04:30 AM
I heard from C7 yesterday - SUPERS! should be in the C7 warehouse within 2 weeks...don't hold your breath

I am sorry to anyone who has been waiting, but it has been out of my hands since about July 2010

urbwar
01-08-2011, 07:26 AM
I heard from C7 yesterday - SUPERS! should be in the C7 warehouse within 2 weeks...don't hold your breath

I am sorry to anyone who has been waiting, but it has been out of my hands since about July 2010

Simon,

That is hopefully good news. I hope that it comes true. I don't think you need to apologize though. C7 is the one who should. Getting info on this product hasn't been easy (I know, cause I've inquired both via email and on Facebook about my preorder, and they take awhile to respond). I just hope that once the book is out, we can try and get the buzz going again. I always try and name drop it in super hero threads on rpg.net, and I know 1 or 2 others do as well. Plus with a real book, I can actually plan on running it for NerdNYC when I can.

Jaysun
01-08-2011, 10:39 AM
I'm glad to hear its release could be soon...I'll be picking up the printed edition.

Like urbwar I try to mention Supers over at RPGnet as well when I engage in superhero threads.

urbwar
02-03-2011, 11:12 PM
well, still no sign that preorders of the print version are out yet. I'm still waiting on 3 other books I ordered from their last sale at the end of 2010. I think that and the Supers! preorders are the last things I will order direct from C7. I'm not happy with their habitual lack of communication (I emailed them about my order almost a week ago, and resent the email again tonight). I'm pretty much fed up with them as a consumer

Simon W
03-06-2011, 06:06 AM
A couple of threads started at RPGNet on Saturday from guys who picked the SUPERS! book up and liked it, which is really cool. Here's one of the threads:

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?p=13611976#post13611976