PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 vs 4th

Enjoy
04-01-2010, 07:05 PM
Hello there, forum.
I'm a experienced RPG player, I've DM'd and played for about four years now, mostly Vampire: The Masquerade, Call of Cthulhu, GURPs, and some homebrew systems. Now, lately, I've been thinking on moving to the "mainstream pen and paper": DnD.

The thing is, I've played a little 3.5, and even a friend gifted me his 3.5 Player's Handbook a while ago and I kinda, even if the system is heavily complex compared to other games, like how things works. But I do not possess any other of the books.
Now, should I start buying 4th edition stuff? I've read some of the reviews of it, and they were mostly like "not-so-good" about the new rules. Do you think is worth it? Is it a good investment or the tiles system completly screws the fun?. Adding half-of-your-level to everything is as bad as it sounds? Or should I just keep up with the safe choice and cointinue with 3.5?

outrider
04-01-2010, 07:30 PM
My recommendation is to get a 4th ed players hand book and find a game to get into. That is what I did and played 4th for awhile. I found for me, I did not care for it but there were others who found they liked it. That way you can make an informed decision.

Sascha
04-01-2010, 10:06 PM
The thing is, I've played a little 3.5, and even a friend gifted me his 3.5 Player's Handbook a while ago and I kinda, even if the system is heavily complex compared to other games, like how things works. But I do not possess any other of the books.
For best suggestions, we may need to know a little more about this. What about 3.5 do you like?

Now, should I start buying 4th edition stuff? I've read some of the reviews of it, and they were mostly like "not-so-good" about the new rules. Do you think is worth it? Is it a good investment or the tiles system completly screws the fun?. Adding half-of-your-level to everything is as bad as it sounds? Or should I just keep up with the safe choice and cointinue with 3.5?
You may want to take 4E for a test-drive, so to speak, before buying any new books; WotC has the Quick Start and two adventures for download here (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/TryDnD.aspx). (There are also actual-play podcasts available, to help demonstrate the game.)

Grid-based combat builds off the 3E system, with some streamlined movement rules (diagonals come to mind, right off). The half-level bonus replaces other, more granular progressions in 3E (BAB, saves/defenses, skill points). Whether these, or any of the changes, are 'good' is going to depend on what you want out of the game.

russdm
04-01-2010, 10:11 PM
You should continue to play 3.5 as you will still be able to enjoy it.

As for 4th, yes. 4th edition is a fun game and is actually well done despite what those idiots might tell, you know the ones who do nothing but troll and such....

Anyway, 4th edition is worth trying out. It is focused mainly on combat though with little in teh rules about roleplaying, but roleplaying really should be done by players and needs less rules anyway.

I think you should try out 4th edition. You will like it. You might be annoyed about some of the changes, but it is a very fun game.

Thats my two gold pieces.

cplmac
04-02-2010, 02:27 PM
Hello and welcome Enjoy.

I would point out that it may be easier to obtain 4E materials since it is the current version being published. I will agree with what the other members have said above in that you should try both versions for awhile and see which one you like best.

Enjoy
04-02-2010, 06:12 PM
Well, thanks you all for your comments, and to cplmac for the welcome :P

Most of the games of our group are VERY role playing centered, with little to no combat, so we were up for a system-heavy game for a change, and 3.5 seemed like the best option. It provided the complexity in the system, whilst allowing for flexibility in the role playing. On the other hand, 4th, looks, at a first glance, a lot like Warhammer, or any other miniatures games...or some sort of very complex chess, with games beign just a series of combat encounters. (I read Keep on the Shadowfell this morning, thanks to sascha) Nevertheless, I decided to give it a try, some other friend is going to lend me a 4th player's handbook t'morrow, if it turns out I like it, I'll probablly buy it.

On an offtopic question: There are play-by-post DnD games in this forum, right? You think I could get into one to check out 4th?

Sascha
04-02-2010, 07:02 PM
Most of the games of our group are VERY role playing centered, with little to no combat, so we were up for a system-heavy game for a change, and 3.5 seemed like the best option. It provided the complexity in the system, whilst allowing for flexibility in the role playing. On the other hand, 4th, looks, at a first glance, a lot like Warhammer, or any other miniatures games...or some sort of very complex chess, with games beign just a series of combat encounters.
D&D's not big on system support for roleplaying, regardless of edition, though some try harder than others (comparing the amount of space for non-mechanical characterization, the 4E Player's Handbook has more material than the 3.5 book). 4E, specifically, focuses more on a 'fantasy action hero' tone, so it may be not to your tastes, even if mechanical conceits were made. There is a rule for experience rewards for roleplaying, but I don't recall offhand if it's in the first or second DMG; the gist is, for every 15 minutes of roleplaying (towards a current goal, I believe), you award a monster of equal level's experience.

As for the miniatures comment, both 3E and 4E encourage the use of a battle mat and miniatures; all of the 3.5 games in which I've participated used them, as per the rules, so it's not a unique-to-4E thing.

Adventure design, well, that's a valid criticism; I happen to share it, about a large number of the published adventures I have. There's a thread (http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=502610) over at rpg.net where Rodney Thompson, a D&D developer, solicited feedback on improving the quality of the modules; lots of folks feel combats are far too numerous, even with the high-action tone of 4E. I haven't read any of the 3E module library, so I can't compare presentation (I was only a player, for that edition).

Hope this helps a bit more in understanding ^_^ Good gaming ;)

MortonStromgal
04-05-2010, 11:10 PM
4e is an interesting marketing animal.

DO NOT believe the 3 core book hype.

1st core book set is D&D for new players. It focuses on the minis combat and some basic classes and monsters.

2nd core book set is more like what we know of as an RPG here you have several options for players, monsters, skill challenges, traps, as well as building your own monsters and a system for giving out XP for actual roleplaying!

3rd core book set isnt all out yet but it would appear to be the epic level handbook combinded with the how to play monsters as PC and all those skills and powers type books from long ago.

The reason many people say "the roleplaying in 4e sucks" is quite frankly they never read DMG 2 or bothered to dive in further than the first layer. Granted they arnt done yet with layer 3.

3.X is certainly IMHO alot cheaper to get into and 4e may or may not actually be a better game (I'm undecided)

cplmac
04-08-2010, 12:38 PM
Enjoy - You could always send a PM to the person that is running a particualar play by post game and ask if you can get into it to see how it works.

Lord Soth
05-12-2010, 01:23 PM
Most assuredly, play both and make an informed decision...that's about the only thing you can do. You'll find pro and con groups for all editions, and its hard to pick just on anecdotal evidence...you just have to dig in and find out for yourself.

TheYeti1775
05-12-2010, 02:35 PM
Most assuredly, play both and make an informed decision...that's about the only thing you can do. You'll find pro and con groups for all editions, and its hard to pick just on anecdotal evidence...you just have to dig in and find out for yourself.

Play both. Learn which one is more for you.

Every single one of us has our own preferences when it comes to editions. The big thing to realize is what you enjoy more.

In the past month, I've played Basic / 2E / 3.5E / & 4E. I think my happy spot is in the 3.5E world.
But having said that, its more about getting together with friends and playing vice a specific #E I'm playing.