PDA

View Full Version : as APN said "How do we keep gaming alive?"

ak47
04-01-2010, 06:45 PM
that was good idea so i am going for it dont know if this thread will live or die but he did have a good idea and a good idea needs to give credit for so here it is "How do we keep gaming alive?"
i leave first idea up to first poster
ty

tesral
04-02-2010, 12:02 AM
Simple, keep gaming. Outside of that I don't know what to do. I just got notice of yet another game opening in my area. OU has problem Friday nights of too many role players for the space.

If gaming is dying, it isn't in my neck of the woods.

ak47
04-02-2010, 12:09 PM
well what i mean is like apn said why we always see threads is gaming dead why dont we look at positive side and try to keep it going and yes i will admit some areas are doing great for gaming some are not just like the economics now some areas not affected some areas are getting it bad some areas are growing rapibly with no sign of any problem. like for example my gf is from uniontown pa but lives with me in kansas now in uniontown gaming shops are like gas stations there almost on ever corner block of the city a gamers heaven and in some areas there maybe 2 or none in other cities. and the 2nd part of what i mean is how should we keep it alive and growing and such in any area stick with the old school ways books paper pen gaming shops or should we o all digital pdf computers palms and such and take out all books dice paper and such or maybe in between of though's two as we move ever so in the time. and also to put any other ideas out there to help the gaming companies that we have not already posted to make it better and have more fun and player like apn we dont know fully if people from companies go through forums like this made by players to help them grow we might start a idea they see it and there we had a part to play in our small time on earth to help what we love grow i hope this helps more ty

cplmac
04-02-2010, 12:10 PM
It can't be completely dead in my neck o' the woods either. We have a tabletop group that has 14 members in it. That I am aware of, there is also 4 other groups in our area that play D&D as well as other RPGs.

It's like Tesral said, "Keep gaming."

tesral
04-02-2010, 11:18 PM
Punctuation. Learn to know, and love punctuation.

MortonStromgal
04-05-2010, 11:02 PM
Evolve or Die

...Whatever your part of the business is embrace technology and use it. Don't apply 1980s gaming thinking to your business plan. Have a business plan, a real one!

For Example Wanna open a FLGS?
1980s - Buy the game you love, put it in a hole in the wall, people will come. Be mean and mock people who dont play your game.
1990s- Add Magic and Pokemon
Today - Open a Cafe' focusing on coffee and other drinks, put it near a college or in a highly populated part of the city. Be kind and friendly, carry several games including indie. Have meeting rooms available as well as open box board games, offer them for rental. Focus on the Cafe' first game store second.

tesral
04-06-2010, 01:01 AM
Oakland University Gaming Guild is starting another 3.5 game on Thursdays.

Metroknight
05-17-2010, 09:56 AM
Face to Face gaming in my area (Dekalb county, Alabama) is almost dead. I know of only 1 group and they are closed to new players. I game online through the use of Traipse/Openrpg.

tesral
05-17-2010, 10:06 AM
You need to move to a place that believes in higher education. It has been my observation that colleges and gaming go together.

Metroknight
05-17-2010, 10:12 AM
I live where I live at due to family obligations. I have fun with my online group.

tesral
05-17-2010, 09:22 PM
Hey that is gaming. It might not be what you consider ideal gaming, but it is gaming.

Talmek
05-18-2010, 04:57 PM
I love tabletop gaming, and the last thing I would want is for it to somehow slip by the wayside as a forgotten hobby (the image of the child rolling a barrel ring down a dirt road comes to mind). However with MMORPGs, console gaming, and what seems like an almost universal aversion to reading table-top gaming does seem like it could be headed down a dark road.

It took a little over two years for me to gather enough people and resources to host a 4e D&D game in my home. So far, we've been able to play two sessions, and we all have intentions to keep it going (hopefully). Adult life does make things difficult to schedule things sometimes, but they are only excuses if we allow them to be.

Like any organization, table-top gaming requires people - people who want to be involved, as well as recruiting of new members. If the first experience you have with anything new is negative, chances are you won't return for another attempt. Sadly, this is where a lot of potential members are lost. If only there weren't such stigmas associated with the hobby, I believe there could be a revitalization of gaming as a whole.

Skunkape
05-19-2010, 06:38 AM
Simple, keep gaming. Outside of that I don't know what to do. I just got notice of yet another game opening in my area. OU has problem Friday nights of too many role players for the space.

If gaming is dying, it isn't in my neck of the woods.

I agree with tesral! I see plenty of gaming going on in my area! There's so much going on that even if I was single, I'd never be able to fit in all of the games!:(

jpatterson
05-19-2010, 06:37 PM
Working on your own material for your favorite game, even just a chart or a character creation cheat sheet or something, to share with other people, to keep up interest. It helps foster creativity, I think - it's how Warhammer survived being out of print over a decade and now is in its third printing and is breathing new life with a new generation that I wouldn't have ever predicted it would ever see.

Lord Soth
05-22-2010, 01:30 PM
It can't be overstated. Keep gaming. Support your local game stores, continue to build on the communities of pen and paper RPG's, tabletop gaming, CCG's, etc. Keep it simple, keep it fun. There will be those groups that play games and/or editions that aren't your cup of tea...that doesn't mean that you abandon all hope, throw your hands in the air, and take your ball and go home. Keep with it, keep writing and networking. Guaranteed there will be someone somewhere looking for the same things you are.

tesral
05-22-2010, 01:32 PM
World Steam Expo, Dearborn Mi. May 28-31. I will be demonstrating this by running "The Tomb of Gilgamesh: Steam punk edition" Sat-Mon one session each day.

jade von delioch
05-22-2010, 01:36 PM
If gaming is dying, then it is the Gamers fault. For one, I have meet any number of gamers over the last few years who refuse to game with anyone under a certain age group (Most people in high school and under). How are the younger generations, who don't have gamer family member, going to be exposed to role playing? The extent of most people knowledge of role playing is become more and more MMO based. Which, as everyone knows, is not role playing; its multi player hack and slash.

Holding Gaming Days at a local Library or school every so often is one approach to get kids who know nothing of traditional gaming interested. If its free and sounds fun, and has the promise of free snacks- then there will be interests. The games played at such an event don't have to be just RPGs, they can be board games and such as well.