PDA

View Full Version : Skill Challenges

Inquisitor Tremayne
03-30-2010, 12:20 PM
I thought I would post my Skill challenges to give an example of how I am using them in my game. Enjoy!

Now with Ackbar rescued he informs you that getting to the main control room is an arduous challenge. One fraught with a combination of alternating turbolifts, dodging security patrols, accessing secured chambers, and navigating crawl spaces. The first step is getting to and accessing a secure turbolift to the upper levels. Then traversing the dangerous terrain of the upper levels. Once past those dangers you will need to bypass floor after floor of security personnel. Then the final push to the secured turbolift that leads directly to the main control room. Ackbar can lead the way but it is up to your party and your unique skills to complete this skill challenge!

SKILL CHALLENGE: GET TO THE CONTROL ROOM!
CL: 8
Complexity: 3 (9 success before 3 failures)
Level DCs: Easy 18, Medium 23, Moderate 28, Hard 32, Heroic 37
Challenge Effects:
Personal Sacrifice: a hero can make a sacrifice, 25 hps, to turn a failed check into a success and heal Ackbar of 1 failure damage.
Devastating Attrition: each failure Ackbar takes 25 points of damage. If 3 failures accrue before 11 successes then Ackbar is killed.
Ally Aid: having Ackbar along grants everyone a +2 to their skill checks due to his knowledge of the palace.
Success: If the PCs gain 11 successes they arrive at the main control room with Ackbar alive and well.

Failure: If the PCs accrue 3 failures they still arrive at the main control room but Ackbar is dead and each PC suffers 25 points of damage.

Phase 1
Get to and access a secure turbolift to the upper levels.
The base is on alert and looking for your party, you need to quickly find the turbolift to the upper levels!

Suggested Skills: The following are suggested skills for this skill challenge:
Initiative [DC 23]: A successful initiative check allows a character to get the drop on a security patrol thus eliminating the threat.
Knowl: Tactics [DC 28]: A character may make a tactics check to circumvent the security patrols.
Mechanics [DC 32]: A character may make a mechanics check to bypass any sort of security.
Perception [DC 23]: A character can make a Perception check to find a quicker way to the turbolift.
Stealth [DC 28]: A character may use the stealth skill to sneak by security patrols.
Use Computer [DC 32]: A character may make a Use Computer check to find a quicker route to the turbolift.
Success: The PCs need 3 successes before they can move on to the second phase of their mission.

Phase 2
Traverse the environmentally dangerous and trap filled upper levels.
Tarkin must be a very paranoid person to have floor after floor of various hazardous traps in place!

Suggested Skills:
Acrobatics [DC 23]: A character may make an acrobatics check to get past any dangerous terrain.
Climb [DC 18]: A character may make a climb check to get past any dangerous terrain.
Endurance [DC 28]: A character may make an endurance check to get past any dangerous environmental hazards.
Jump [DC 18]:
Knowledge (technology) [DC 23]: A successful Knowledge (technology) check allows a character to figure out what sorts of challenges this level poses and grants a +2 to all other skill checks for this phase.
Mechanics [DC 28]: a character may make a mechanics check to bypass a potentially dangerous area.
Survival [DC 23]: a character may make a survival check to find a safer way through a hazardous area.
Swim [DC 23]: a character may make a swim check to get the group though an area.
Success: After 2 successes the PCs gain access to the levels beyond.

Phase 3
The PCs must now dodge floor after floor of security patrols
The next few floors are rife with security patrols and security stations!

Suggested skills:
Deception [DC 28]: a character may use the deception skill to create a distraction to get past a security patrol.
Initiative [DC 32]: a character may use the initiative skill to try to gain surprise on a security patrol.
Knowledge (tactics) [DC 23]: a character may make a tactics check to fiqure out how the patrols are moving through the floors and the best routes to take to avoid the security stations.
Stealth [DC 28]: a character may make a stealth check to sneak by a security station.
Attack Enemies (Reflex Defense 23): a character may make an attack roll to over come a security patrol.
Success: The PCs need 2 successes before they are able to get to the final stage of progressing through the Palace.

Phase 4
The PCs now make their final push to the secured turbolift that leads directly to the main control room.
Ackbar informs you that you are close to the final secured turbolift that will take you directly to the control room, now for the final push!

Suggested Skills:
Initiative [DC 28]: a character may make an initiative check to try to overcome a security patrol.
Knowledge (tactics) [DC 28]: a character may make a tactics check to figure out the guards tactics and direct the party to outmaneuver them.
Perception [DC 23]: a character may make a perception check to save the group from being ambushed.
Persuasion [DC 37]: a character may try to make a persuasion check to take the guards into surrendering.
Attack Enemies (Reflex Defense 32): a character may make an attack roll to try to overcome a security patrol.
Success: The PCs need 2 successes before they finally get to the main secured turbolift.

The descriptions may seem a little redundant but they are far from it once myself and the players begin describing the actions they are going to take to advance the plot.

Anyone else using these in their Saga game?

Dytrrnikl
04-06-2010, 09:22 AM
I've participated in a couple as a player, and I find that it starts turning less into thinking about how to advance the plot as it becomes what skill can I use to roll a die to move things along...at least to my perspective. Skill challenges are nice, in that they take the emphasis off of your class and level and focus on your skills. However, with the system being set-up as a class-level based system, I'm not sold on adding skill challenges. After all, aren't all encounters, combat or otherwise, some form of skills challenge.

Inquisitor Tremayne
04-06-2010, 01:06 PM
This was my thinking as well.

However, in practice, it allows those characters that typically do not get very descriptive in their actions are are content to just roll dice and not say a word to participate and get creative in describing their character's actions.

The example of the skill challenge in Galaxy of Intrigue in exactly how my skill challenges have run, very descriptive, fast paced, and fun!

It is a very different experience from a combat encounter or any other encounter for that matter.