PDA

View Full Version : Characters Hobgoblin/Goblin PC's?

Gunnar Greybeard
03-29-2010, 05:55 AM
OK, after a long hiatus from PnP RPG's in general (at least 20+ years) I have decided to make my return. My intent is to run a test campaign with some friends (so we can all learn Rolemaster Classic) and using Fantasy Grounds II. To make things more relaxed I would like to have the PC's be Hobgoblin/Goblin based races and limit it to the combat type professions. This may lessen player attachment to their PC's, since its only a test run and is intended to be rather short in duration. I am also hoping this setup will keep things fun/silly to keep the game from getting too serious while we are in "learning the RMC system" mode.

In addition, magic would be very, very limited (maybe a few Priest and Shaman types but not Wizards). I also plan to use Harn as the world setting.

Anyway, your thoughts, comments and feedback would be appreciated.

Utgardloki
08-15-2010, 05:52 PM
I'm not sure what you are looking for here? It sounds like you have a plan.

DMMike
10-08-2010, 11:11 PM
I'm about to allow goblinoid PCs. There's no reason for players to not get attached to their goblins - unless the goblins have really crummy abilities compared to other races. My goblins get (probably not uncommon) a DEX bonus, darkvision, and a racial bonus to riding and silent movement.

Also, goblins don't have to be evil. Or monsters. In fact, they could be very gnome-like. Smart and small. Don't tie them down - let them loose in your world, and see what they do.

By the way, be nice to your goblins, and don't require their skin to be green. That's just racist. :tea:

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
10-10-2010, 11:53 AM
Played an all Gobbo campaign once. Great fun! Enjoy... and keep us up on the experiences of said game.

Soft Serve
10-13-2010, 01:02 PM
I include a lot of things to the Goblin races and call the whole generalization "Orks".

Orcs being just bigger stronger goblins.

Hobgoblins being half-humans and keeping their versatility.

Goblins being the tiny quickness guys similar to halflings or gnomes if you want.

In some cases I include trolls and ogres but for simplicity I can keep it at that.

tesral
10-21-2010, 11:56 AM
I personally don't see why not. If someone asked I would do it. Indeed I have been seriously considering adding Hobgoblins as an appendix race. Mainly half Orc stats, my own take on the culture.

Goblins? Similar to Halflings stat wise. I might lower the wisdom and stack in more dex. Scratch the Halfling. -2 wis, -2 cha, +2 con, +2 dex. That sounds about Goblin enough for me. Again the culture needs work.

I consider the culture more important than the stat adjustments. Those are just game numbers. The race is what you are playing. If you don't have a baseline for your race, how do you play it?

Anarkitty
03-10-2011, 06:54 PM
I ran an all goblin campaign myself. It was largely inspired by the webcomic Goblins (http://www.goblinscomic.com/) (which I highly recommend as it is), and I started it off by having the players create normal 1st level characters, with an emplasis on cliche and powergaming. Then at the beginning of the first session, I collected their sheets and handed out fresh ones with the "Race" field already filled in as "Goblin". They then had to defend their home from their own characters, before even being allowed to take their first class level. I did re-stat the Gobbos to make them more in line power-wise with other PC races. They were similar to Halflings in a lot of ways, and I created a Goblin Outrider prestiege class that was similar to the Halfling Outrider, but with wolves and a few other differences.

I worked up an entire history of the world, with an ancient time when Goblins were one of the great and respected Empires, along side the Dwarves, Elves, Gnomes and Orcs. It was when the upstart Humans banded together with the Dwarves, Elves and Gnomes (because they looked similar) to take an empire for themselves from the Orcs and Goblins (who looked different) that the whole world changed, engulfed in a great war. The aftermath was a world that more closely resembled the standard D&D fantasy world, with only small pockets of Goblins and Orcs who kept the true history alive, along with the remnants of their ancient cultures. th rest of te world had a "History is written by the winners", propaganda-laced version of the history since the war that villainized the Goblins and Orcs, and glorified the Humans in particular.

It was a really good campaign, all things considered, as the characters had to fight for acceptance and respect in a world that hated or feared them. Unfortunately one of our players died tragically, and I shelved the campaign. I probably won't revisit the concept, but I would be willing to share what I created.