PDA

View Full Version : Infectious Zombies in D&D

Soft Serve
03-27-2010, 01:36 PM
I am a massive zombie fan. Go zombies.

But I mean stupid infectious zombies. Shambling one foot at a time almost slower than g-ma drives. The danger in them coming from pure numbers and absolutely no way of possibly killing them short of completely obliterating them (smashing, burning, grinding, etc) or simple destruction of the brain (via Arrow, Bullet, decapitation*, etc)

*Decapitation in this case severing the zombies body from it's still functioning head which will survive indefinitely until the brain is literally destroyed.

But my problem is that there are already zombies in the D&D universe. And they're not really...infectious. They're just kinda like stupid people brought back from the dead. Smart enough to pick up a weapon, not smart enough to chase you down with it and beat you.

My solution? Split them. Two different zombies. One stupid shambling mound incapable of speech or picking up weapons simply compelled by his rewired brains desire to spread the disease/parasite inside of him. This zombie does not need oxygen, food, water, company, or functioning organs. the brain is self-sustaining and still fully capable of running all limbs.

Another zombie relatively smart. Intelligent enough to run, sprint, form strategies (albeit simple ones) and torture captives before killing them. These zombies will lay an ambush and wait for someone to walk into it before springing with whatever solid-enough object they can find to beat the victims to death with. Picture these as extremely low level barbarians always in a constant rage. No talking them out of bloodlust.

Food for thought to any zombie fans I guess.

Arkhemedes
03-27-2010, 03:14 PM
2e had a kind of zombie similar to the infectious zombie called the ju-ju zombie. These were much tougher than the normal undead variety. They had more hit dice, moved faster, could use weapons, and had a semblance of intelligence and could therefore devise strategies. Plus, because they were not created by an animate dead spell or similar means, they were free-thinking creatures which had no real masters to serve.

Then there are the Walking Dead of Ravenloft, which are basically zombies with a wide variety of characteristics. Like all monsters of Ravenloft, no two batches of these zombies need be alike, which keeps the players guessing about their strengths and weaknesses. Infectious zombies? You bet!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-27-2010, 05:46 PM
Huge Zombie fan here. There's a place for the slow movers and the sprinters. I've also added the 30 Days of Nights Vampires, as well as the highbred rabies viral infected crazed people looking to kill anything, all traces of humanity gone. I'd list the movies for the last one, but the name escapes me at the moment. I use all these and more in my games.

Soft Serve
03-27-2010, 09:06 PM
Huge Zombie fan here. There's a place for the slow movers and the sprinters. I've also added the 30 Days of Nights Vampires, as well as the highbred rabies viral infected crazed people looking to kill anything, all traces of humanity gone. I'd list the movies for the last one, but the name escapes me at the moment. I use all these and more in my games.

Dawn of the Dead
28 Days Later
48 Weeks Later

I'm sure there are more...

But I'm very glad I'm not the only one. My problem is that somebody is bound to get attacked by these creatures and I'm not sure how to approach that. The diseases from all sources of fiction don't give anyone a chance to live, just a limited amount of time to regret putting themselves in a situation that got them bit in the first place. I don't want the worlds most powerful Cleric to be diseased to un-death by an unlucky draw. Also I haven't had much time to think of all the total races affected by the virus. I think an infectious zombie dragon might be a little much... Anybody have any pennies to throw into the pond?

Sascha
03-27-2010, 10:24 PM
Have the infection part of a hivemind entity, like in Slither. Less a 'disease,' more a 'possession.' Maybe it only goes after certain species, where the behavior changes aren't nearly so drastic (like, limited to humans). The slow, shambling zombie is a dead host; the entity has to control all the motor functions itself, which is inefficient. Better to exert control over a mind capable of efficiently controlling the body.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-27-2010, 10:43 PM
Here's a great zombie'ish flick. Definitely underrated, but will secure a place in history and a really great movie. If you get a chance, rent it. It's very dark and gritty... and try to refrain from reading the back cover...just watch it with the lights out. It's called Quarantine, made in 2008. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarantine_(2008_film (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarantine_(2008_film))

baja
03-28-2010, 09:51 AM
I treat becoming a zombie like a character dying. If the player fails saving throws, or his friends don't save him, he is turned/dies. Also, I grant immunity to some races from being turned by simple zombies.

I run a campaign called save our souls. It is basically England after a zombie apocalypse. Cities that survived were fortified against zombies.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-28-2010, 10:34 AM
Yep, me too. Characters that turn into zombies are no longer playable; at least that's the way i've always handled it in dnd and wfrp.

I have never granted immunity due to race...same with lycanthropy. I'm evil that way.

Soft Serve
03-28-2010, 01:19 PM
Here's a great zombie'ish flick. Definitely underrated, but will secure a place in history and a really great movie. If you get a chance, rent it. It's very dark and gritty... and try to refrain from reading the back cover...just watch it with the lights out. It's called Quarantine, made in 2008. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarantine_(2008_film (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarantine_%282008_film))

Saw it and loved it. I love 1st person movies.

Yep, me too. Characters that turn into zombies are no longer playable; at least that's the way i've always handled it in dnd and wfrp.

I have never granted immunity due to race...same with lycanthropy. I'm evil that way.

Lycanthropy Porphyric Hemophilia, and Solanum (the zombie disease name I'm stealing from Max Brooks) are my three evil diseases that can off a character easily. The difference though is that I think I would let my players be Were(blank)s and Vampires. No Zombies though...

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-28-2010, 06:09 PM
Lycanthropy Porphyric Hemophilia, and Solanum (the zombie disease name I'm stealing from Max Brooks) are my three evil diseases that can off a character easily. The difference though is that I think I would let my players be Were(blank)s and Vampires. No Zombies though...

I'll have to check those out for my wfrp games.

baja
03-30-2010, 12:53 PM
What do you do for your characters when they become were-blanks?

cigamnogard
03-30-2010, 05:28 PM
IAnother zombie relatively smart. Intelligent enough to run, sprint, form strategies (albeit simple ones) and torture captives before killing them. These zombies will lay an ambush and wait for someone to walk into it before springing with whatever solid-enough object they can find to beat the victims to death with. Picture these as extremely low level barbarians always in a constant rage. No talking them out of bloodlust.

Food for thought to any zombie fans I guess.

See the Eberron Karnath zombies (back of the Eberron setting book) also the Bone Knight from the Book of Five Nations can "recruit" one per day - are intelligent.

Soft Serve
03-30-2010, 09:45 PM
I'm an inventor. The Paladin in my game has a mount called "The Amphibipus." It's a flying Amphibious Octopus. I'm sure I would find something to do with my players after they've been hit with any of the 3 changing diseases. Not to mention what Lich's do with the dead they find...

kurtthedm
03-31-2010, 08:20 AM
Look up Expedition to Castle Ravenloft, they have infectious Strahd zombies which are pretty awesome. You should check them out.