PDA

View Full Version : Interesting / Strange Characters

kirksmithicus
03-26-2010, 12:58 AM
Everyone knows that Dwarves make good fighters, Elves make good Rangers, halflings good rogues. So I recently started playing around with the character builder to see what kind of non-standard (or at least what I would assume would be non-standard) characters I could come up with. Now, I want to play one of these. Then I thought, well....lets see what other interesting characters others have come up with?

These two characters are actually very similar, but anyway.

"Kobold Whip Master"
level 12
Kobold, Fighter, Kensei
Build: Tempest Fighter
Fighter: Combat Agility
Fighter Talents: Tempest Technique
Kensei Focus: Kensei Focus Whip
Background: Circus Performer (Thievery class skill)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 20, Con 14, Dex 18, Int 11, Wis 12, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 11, Dex 14, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 8.

AC: 24 Fort: 23 Reflex: 21 Will: 17
HP: 95 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 23

TRAINED SKILLS
Endurance +12, Athletics +15, Thievery +16

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +9, Arcana +6, Bluff +6, Diplomacy +6, Dungeoneering +7, Heal +7, History +6, Insight +7, Intimidate +6, Nature +7, Perception +7, Religion +6, Stealth +11, Streetwise +6

FEATS
Level 1: Whip Training
Level 2: Two-Weapon Fighting
Level 4: Ambush Tactics
Level 6: Two-Weapon Threat
Level 8: Weapon Focus (Flail)
Level 10: Weapon Expertise (Flail)
Level 11: Two-Weapon Ambush
Level 12: Dragging Flail

POWERS
Fighter at-will 1: Knockdown Assault
Fighter at-will 1: Dual Strike
Fighter encounter 1: Surprising Stab
Fighter daily 1: Villain's Menace
Fighter utility 2: Snagging Grip
Fighter encounter 3: Sweeping Blow
Fighter daily 5: Hounding Longarm
Fighter utility 6: Settling the Score
Fighter encounter 7: Opportunist's Rend
Fighter daily 9: Punishing Storm
Fighter utility 10: Last Ditch Evasion

ITEMS
Hide Armor, Challenge-Seeking Whip +3, Great Hunger Whip +2, Staggering Whip +2, Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier), Skald's Drowmesh +3, Gauntlets of Blood (heroic tier)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

level 12
Kenku, Barbarian, Twinclaw Slayer
Build: Whirling Barbarian
Feral Might: Whirling Slayer
Background: Circus Performer (Thievery class skill)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 11, Dex 22, Int 11, Wis 14, Cha 11.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 15, Con 10, Dex 17, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 8.

AC: 31 Fort: 24 Reflex: 28 Will: 20
HP: 92 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 23

TRAINED SKILLS
Thievery +17, Perception +13, Acrobatics +17, Athletics +15

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +6, Bluff +12, Diplomacy +10, Dungeoneering +8, Endurance +6, Heal +8, History +6, Insight +8, Intimidate +6, Nature +8, Religion +6, Stealth +14, Streetwise +6

FEATS
Level 1: Staff Fighting
Level 2: Weapon Expertise (Staff)
Level 4: Two-Weapon Fighting
Level 6: Battle Awareness
Level 8: Two-Weapon Defense
Level 10: Defensive Mobility
Level 11: Two-Weapon Opening
Level 12: Vexing Flanker

POWERS
Barbarian at-will 1: Pressing Strike
Barbarian at-will 1: Whirling Rend
Barbarian encounter 1: Whirling Frenzy
Barbarian daily 1: Bloodseeker's Rage
Barbarian utility 2: Feral Rejuvenation
Barbarian encounter 3: Whirling Step
Barbarian daily 5: Tiger's Claw Rage
Barbarian utility 6: Snarling Defiance
Barbarian encounter 7: Feast of Violence
Barbarian daily 9: Oak Hammer Rage
Barbarian utility 10: Mighty Sprint

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit, Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier), Lucky Charm +2, Strikebacks (heroic tier), Hat of Disguise (heroic tier), Belt of Lucky Strikes (heroic tier), Skald's Drowmesh +3, Chainreach Quarterstaff +3

yukonhorror
03-26-2010, 09:02 AM
I think if you made the kobold one a ranger and gave him an animal companion, that would pretty fun. Or maybe a hyrbrid fighter/ranger.

Also, a fun one I have thought of is to have a Deva hybrid warlock (dark pact)/paladin. Sort of centered around this concept that he keeps dying at the hands of the same vampire over the past couple of centuries. The vampire has killed him, his friends, destroyed his livelyhood, his businesses, etc... The Deva has come back one last time to destroy the vampire once and for all. If he dies this time, there will be no turning back and he'll come back as a Rakshasa. He becomes an expert in the dark arts and the undead, rationalizing that to destroy darkness, one has to embrace the darkness. And he would carry a wicked looking weapon like a khopesh.

It would be a real stray from the goody-two shoe paladin (a persona I have always hated and thus have had an aversion to paladins).

I also like the dragonborn avenger a player of mine made. Simple, but different.

And I am of course partial to my half-elf barbarian who multi-classes into sorcerer. His anger and rage manifests itself as an arcane outburst. It is fun, even if it isn't the most mechanically sound creation.

But those are mine. I would like to hear/see others.

kirksmithicus
03-26-2010, 11:18 PM
I think if you made the kobold one a ranger and gave him an animal companion, that would pretty fun. Or maybe a hyrbrid fighter/ranger.

Well the kobold character has the two-weapon fighting ability with the fighter class. It gives him more survivability than a ranger. More HP, healing surges and such. Plus he gets to mark and attack those who ignore his mark. Combined with the shifting as a minor and another shift as a move, this gives him the ability to move around a lot without provoking attacks but making it to where he can move so that anyone coming after him would provoke opportunity attacks from his allies. At the same time he has a reach weapon to strike them with. Also the ability to knock opponent prone, and the -2 attack penalty caused by the whip, reduces opponents mobility and attacks. The damage is weak for sure, and I thought about multi-classing as a rogue or ranger to get the sneak attack damage or the rangers damage, but it would only be once per encounter, so I didn't think it would be worth it.

I'm not to big on the animal companion rangers, though I was going to take a closer look at it.

The Kenku character uses the staff as a two-handed weapon or as dual-wield so it gives him some versatility in attacks. He can use it to attack multiple opponents or swing it like a baseball bat at a single target. I choose the Kenku race purely because it seemed like an odd choice, but the +3 bonus to combat advantage complements several of his attack powers. One in particular, I can't remember the name of it now, but it is a burst 1 melee attack and anyone hit gives combat advantage (+3 to hit) to all allies until his next turn or something like that.

Also, a fun one I have thought of is to have a Deva hybrid warlock (dark pact)/paladin. Sort of centered around this concept that he keeps dying at the hands of the same vampire over the past couple of centuries. The vampire has killed him, his friends, destroyed his livelyhood, his businesses, etc... The Deva has come back one last time to destroy the vampire once and for all. If he dies this time, there will be no turning back and he'll come back as a Rakshasa. He becomes an expert in the dark arts and the undead, rationalizing that to destroy darkness, one has to embrace the darkness. And he would carry a wicked looking weapon like a khopesh.

That is a very cool character concept.

It would be a real stray from the goody-two shoe paladin (a persona I have always hated and thus have had an aversion to paladins).

Ditto.

I also like the dragonborn avenger a player of mine made. Simple, but different.

My friend plays a Drow Avenger of Pelor. Cracks me up, cool character too.

And I am of course partial to my half-elf barbarian who multi-classes into sorcerer. His anger and rage manifests itself as an arcane outburst. It is fun, even if it isn't the most mechanically sound creation.

I'll take flavor and fun over crunch any time. Though I am fond of some crunchy bits too, helps with survival. My current character isn't all that mechanically sound either. A halfling two-blade ranger. My friends all thought I was crazy when I first started playing him. Though he doesn't do as much damage as some other races would, but he has some interesting aspects that make up for the lack of damage output.

Cocoa
03-27-2010, 01:56 PM
Halfling avengers are a lot of fun, especially when they go up against much larger foes.

I have a half-orc wizard that I enjoy playing. With all of the controller effects, it doesn't matter as much if the Int isn't as high as other races.

It's fun to create and run characters that aren't perfectly optimized for their class, especially for the role-playing aspects.

kirksmithicus
03-27-2010, 11:38 PM
Halfling avengers are a lot of fun, especially when they go up against much larger foes.

I have a half-orc wizard that I enjoy playing. With all of the controller effects, it doesn't matter as much if the Int isn't as high as other races.

It's fun to create and run characters that aren't perfectly optimized for their class, especially for the role-playing aspects.

Halfling are mucho fun against large foes. The ability to move through your opponents is just awesome, especially if you can shift 3 spaces. If you can't, the +2 bonus to AC for opp. attacks doesn't hurt. For my halfling ranger I chose the Giant Slayer paragon path, and we just happen to be playing the "Against the Giants" adventure series. Drives the DM nuts.

If you are playing in the FR setting, be sure and get a Goblin Totem weapon, if you want to up you characters damage output that is.

Half-orc wizard, there is something you don't see everyday.

So I was playing around with the Character Builder last night and looking at the Beast-master Ranger. So if I ever get the chance to play one, I'm going to do a Hybrid character, Druid/Beast-master Ranger. I have a wolf companion, I can become a wolf, and one of my daily powers would allow me to summon a wolf. I'm my own wolf pack.

yukonhorror
03-29-2010, 08:48 AM
is that the benefit of being small (running through people's spaces)? I couldn't really find anything that states the true benefit of being small. Cause in 3rd edition, you got a boost to AC and to hit (harder to hit you cause you are small and everything is bigger so easier to hit).

But with the hybrid stuff, I was thinking a fun interesting thing would be themed parties. like all players have to have some barbarian in them (through multiclassing, true classing, or hybrid classing). Have a bit of a barbarian horde. Or all have to have thievery and sneak as a class skill (for a infiltration type of party).

Sascha
03-29-2010, 09:48 AM
It's on p. 283: "Moving through occupied squares"; not specifically for small characters, but for size differences between opponents.

yukonhorror
03-29-2010, 09:54 AM
thanks, but is that the only benefit of being small, or am I missing something else?? Sorry to be off-topic, just been curious, but never had a player play a small creature, so it hasn't been an issue.

Of course, I am not a fan of moving (not my style) in combat, so this benefit would be minimal for me.

kirksmithicus
03-29-2010, 03:42 PM
There are no specific bonus' for being a small creature (such as to AC and such). There is some benefit in that because of size they are treated slightly differently than medium creatures. For instance the moving through Large opponents space, if your character moves / shifts a lot, this can be an advantage (the same holds true for Medium - Gargantuan creatures). It can also be a dis-advantage, because the Large creature can do the same to you. Small creatures can also Squeeze into smaller spaces, and do not take the penalty for squeezing into a 2 1/2 ft. space, as would a medium sized creature. Also, Small characters can use medium creatures as mounts; wolves, drakes, boars etc.

I am a fan of movement and misdirection, so I love such things. I try to maximize my characters ability to move and avoid damage. I'm also a big fan of immediate interrupts / reactions that allow extra attacks and Skalds armor is my favorite armor. My character has fewer hit points and healing surges than the two meat shields in our group, but his job is up front with them. Specifically he tries to slip around or through monsters to provide combat advantage for the meat heads.

I once had my character stand between two Frost Giants for 6 rounds, providing combat advantage for two of his allies. Both Frost Giants attacked my character all 6 times, both missed 5 out 6 times. This was partly due to bad rolls and partly due just being hard to hit. One of the attacks that did hit, did only did minor damage, the other was a critical hit that did 79 points of damage. Luckily I had Skalds armor, so I used it's Daily to direct the attack against the other Frost Giant, and it killed him. That got a big laugh out of our group. The DM finally nails the annoying little halfling, only to have his critical hit take out the other giant.

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 PM ----------

The barbarian horde thing could be cool. Don't they have feats designed for tribal characters, where you get a benefit for everyone who takes the same feat?

yukonhorror
03-29-2010, 04:06 PM
yeah, in the primal power source book. But any class can take those, not just primal ones. Usually it is like a +2 to a skill, with a +1 for every ally within X sqrs who also has it (max +5). So if you and 2 others have it, +4 to all perception checks.

kirksmithicus
04-01-2010, 10:49 PM
Bullywug Swarm Druid. You already have the Aura of Funk, you might as well take Swarm of Flies to go with it. As an added bonus, lunch is free.