PDA

View Full Version : Rabbit like 3.5 Races

Soft Serve
03-24-2010, 08:51 PM
Anybody know any good rabbit races for 3.5 D&D? Preferably one without a level adjustment. Thanks.

tesral
03-25-2010, 12:28 AM
Rabbit like, or rabbit? If you want rabbit like exchange -2 Con for +2 Dex, and make them look like a rabbit, give them some skill bonuses +2 Jump, spot and listen.

Write a culture that reflects a "rabbity" Point of View. High points. Herbivoes, live like Hobbits in in-ground houses. Large families. Close knit community. Soft sopken pacifists. They tend to be pushovers for bully races until cornered.

If you have a goblinoid race you want to look extra mean they like to enslave the rabbit people, and eat them when the mood strikes.

Job done. One rabbit like race. Put some campagin specific flesh on the bones and go to town. 90% of anything like this will be the role playing, not the game rules.

Pictures help too:

yukonhorror
03-25-2010, 07:45 AM
are you doing some watership down type of scenario?? I think there is a supplement (SJ games) for that. Bunnies and Burrows is what it is called I believe.

Soft Serve
03-25-2010, 07:50 AM
A player asked me if I had known any rabbit like races because my girlfriend has a rabbit and he jokingly said he wanted to play one but if I found one he would actually make that character. So I didn't actually have any plans for it but if a Rakshasa and a Hound Archon are playable I guess there's no reason there can't be a rabbit like race...

yukonhorror
03-25-2010, 08:23 AM
heck, just do that. Make your hound archon into a lagomorphic archon (lagomorpha is the "order" for rabbits). Or what Tesral suggested.

cplmac
03-25-2010, 10:28 AM
...Job done. One rabbit like race. Put some campagin specific flesh on the bones and go to town. 90% of anything like this will be the role playing, not the game rules.

Pictures help too:

Ah Ha! Now we know how the Easter Bunny is able to carry all that candy that he delivers.

tesral
03-25-2010, 10:29 AM
are you doing some watership down type of scenario?? I think there is a supplement (SJ games) for that. Bunnies and Burrows is what it is called I believe.

Bunnies & Burrows was a whole game. One of nearly a million "This & That" games patterned after D&D.

Tunnels & Trolls
Mutants & Masterminds
Villains & Vigilantes.

In the late 70s you couldn't find an ampersand to save your life.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-25-2010, 10:58 AM
Go for the Rabbitoids found in S3: Expedition to the Barrier Peaks. I believe all stats have been updated in the net somewhere, otherwise, you can always update them yourself.

yukonhorror
03-25-2010, 11:34 AM
Bunnies & Burrows was a whole game. One of nearly a million "This & That" games patterned after D&D.

Tunnels & Trolls
Mutants & Masterminds
Villains & Vigilantes.

In the late 70s you couldn't find an ampersand to save your life.

I thought it was a GURPS supplement? But yeah, I always thought it was a weird kind of game. But the watership down cartoon scared me, and I never finished it. (never read it either)

Wasn't there a hengeyokai (sp?) rabbit (hare) variant for oriental adventures?? There was one in first edition. From what I found, I think it had a + to wis and - to str.

Soft Serve
03-25-2010, 01:36 PM
I forgot about the Oriental Adventures... I could just go look that up.

tesral
03-25-2010, 02:07 PM
Wasn't there a hengeyokai (sp?) rabbit (hare) variant for oriental adventures?? There was one in first edition. From what I found, I think it had a + to wis and - to str.

Hengeyokai (correct) were animals that could take Human form. They cover a variety of species from Carp (???) to Sparrows. Yes, Hares are in there. +1 Wis, -1 Str. I would go with a little more variation for the 3.5 stats as you need a 2 in either direction to really make a difference. Apparently in Oriental lore* Rabbits are wiser than average.

(No, my memory is not that good. I have the book within reach.)

*I understand that most of OA came from Japanese folklore, but they borrowed from all over and respected origins about as much as they did Occidental lore.

cplmac
03-26-2010, 10:54 AM
Hmm, I could maybe put these in my Tsojcanth game. Each time the party encounters them, there are more. This would of course be due to the fact that the multiply like rabbits.:biggrin:

yukonhorror
03-26-2010, 11:21 AM
yeah, 1st edition converts pretty easy to 2nd.

Actually, our 1st ed DM did something similar. But it was with hook horrors (he described them as bunny like though). Everytime we knocked him down to 1/2 hp, he would revert back to bunny form, multiply by 2, and change back to hook horror form. I think the multiplication stopped if the thing only had an 1/8th of its original hp (it died outright after the 3rd multiplication). It was a very tough battle, and he gave us extra XP as a result.

wizarddog
03-26-2010, 01:11 PM
But the watership down cartoon scared me, and I never finished it. (never read it either)
You should read the book. It is pretty awesome. The author created a whole culture around the rabbits, their religion, their hierarchy, and their own vocabulary from their point of view. It also deals with aspects of prophesy, fable, discovery, and survival. The movie just couldn't capture what it was all about, but to its credit, it introduced some interesting visual metaphors.

---------- Post added at 11:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 AM ----------

My favorite Rabbitoid was the Hoops from Gamma World. They could turn metal into rubber.

yukonhorror
03-26-2010, 01:27 PM
you make the assumption that I read... Tsk tsk tsk :D

Soft Serve
03-27-2010, 12:22 PM
Spitballing....

+2 Dex
+2 Wis
-2 Str
-2 Con

40 Base Land Speed
+5 Jump
+5 Listen
+2 Spot

Favored Class :: Ranger

Sascha
03-27-2010, 12:52 PM
Favored Class :: Samurai
Fixed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usagi_Yojimbo) :biggrin:

Soft Serve
03-27-2010, 01:08 PM
Fixed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usagi_Yojimbo) :biggrin:

Oriental Ads. Samurai or Complete Warrior Samurai?

Also...why?

Sascha
03-27-2010, 03:23 PM
(Didn't click the link, then? Usagi Yojimbo, rabbit samurai.)

Soft Serve
03-27-2010, 09:01 PM
Didn't notice it was a link. It looked like standard text on the white.

Also now I get it.

Sascha
03-27-2010, 09:52 PM
Heh, yeah, it is a bit harder to notice now.

Still - rabbit samurai. Refluff whichever class you want. Have 'im fight mole ninja.

Soft Serve
03-27-2010, 10:32 PM
A Mole Ninja from Complete Scout or Oriental Adventures?

(:p)

Sascha
03-27-2010, 11:47 PM
(Whichever class wears black pajamas the best~ :P)

Soft Serve
03-28-2010, 01:10 PM
Blackguard.

tesral
03-28-2010, 04:37 PM
The Midnight Slumberer.