PDA

View Full Version : List o' Problems with the changes.

Soft Serve
03-23-2010, 12:26 PM
I'm going to try to keep this generally simple so I can shower and get to work on planning my upcoming game tonight. Here's each problem I see or have seen complaints about and a solution I'd like to submit.

Loss of XP: I was against it at first but now I don't mind. From Thoth's posts I understand the removal and I'm actually glad we can now toss that to the wind. However I would like to keep an activity bar, or a way to organize "Site Leaders" from under the "Quick Links" tab on the Forums page by number of posts or time spent on site. Not so much XP as a definite way of showing who has committed more, and been here the longest. That is irrefutable as time spent cannot be cheated and although I'm sure posts could be (Via Word Assoc. Thread or otherwise) but there's bound to be a compromise there if someone cared about it that much.

Design Changes: The background white is difficult to read in long posts. I'm sure that everyone here could agree that the Off Green color was much more accepted. Even if white wasn't a pain on the eyes the off green was much more attractive and artistic than bland white. (in my personal opinion...)

Loss of a Quick Post button: Quick post was something I actually barely used since you couldn't get quotes in it. And if you could then I never figured it out. But it was a helpful and nifty little tool that made posting on threads that only require small input (like Word Assoc.) an easy deal not requiring you to load another page. I get that Word Assoc. and other threads aren't the main focus of the site, but they are fun time-wasters and I'm sure that nobody is against bringing back the Quick Post bar, even if they never used it.

The Surprise Element: Updates that repair things (chat bugs, forum bugs, etc.) I'm sure we could go without a warning on. Maybe an intended date to repair them but that's not my point. My point is I would like to know when design changes are about to be implemented and be able to throw in my 2 before P&PG changes colors. I don't just mean myself either I mean a post with the list of differences so that collectively we can say "That sounds good" or "Can we try something else?". Democracy ruling in this case.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-23-2010, 01:54 PM
I believe that if the vast majority want XP, then they should have it by letting democracy rule. But as Farcaster has stated, that is not an option with the new software, so the point is not only mute... it's dead and buried... or tossed to the wind, as Soft Serve so elequently summed it up.

I also agree with Soft Serve in that we need to get rid of this white background. Hurts me Undead eyes, it does.

Overall, i love what you've done to the place, Farcaster! http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif As far as the 7+ hours of focused programming, I'm sure i speak for everyone when i say that you have our sympathies. Great Job!

Farcaster
03-23-2010, 03:24 PM
Overall, i love what you've done to the place, Farcaster! http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif As far as the 7+ hours of focused programming, I'm sure i speak for everyone when i say that you have our sympathies. Great Job!

Thanks, Thoth. Although, it was actually 7 hours of deployment. By the point I took the site down on Saturday afternoon, I had already done all the programming up front, which was much more than 7 hours. :biggrin:

Farcaster
03-23-2010, 04:08 PM
Loss of a Quick Post button: Quick post was something I actually barely used since you couldn't get quotes in it. And if you could then I never figured it out. But it was a helpful and nifty little tool that made posting on threads that only require small input (like Word Assoc.) an easy deal not requiring you to load another page.

Quick Reply is back in. I took it out temporarily because the forum software was making you click Reply twice to get to a regular reply instead of the quick reply section. I figured out how to disable that in the code though, so it won't be a problem.

Soft Serve
03-23-2010, 04:12 PM
I believe that if the vast majority want XP, then they should have it by letting democracy rule. But as Farcaster has stated, that is not an option with the new software, so the point is not only mute... it's dead and buried... or tossed to the wind, as Soft Serve so elequently summed it up.

I also agree with Soft Serve in that we need to get rid of this white background. Hurts me Undead eyes, it does.

I don't mean to sound ungrateful I really do appreciate everything I'm just trying to compile what I think could we could improve on.

---------- Post added at 05:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 PM ----------

Quick Reply is back in. I took it out temporarily because the forum software was making you click Reply twice to get to a regular reply instead of the quick reply section. I figured out how to disable that in the code though, so it won't be a problem.

Thank you very much! I know a few people will notice immediately and appreciate the quickness in response.

---------- Post added at 05:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 PM ----------

Also I just noticed the new lines for double posts adding the new post and previous posting times. They look solid. Good improvement.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-23-2010, 04:44 PM
Thanks, Thoth. Although, it was actually 7 hours of deployment. By the point I took the site down on Saturday afternoon, I had already done all the programming up front, which was much more than 7 hours. :biggrin:

Your time and effort is definitely appreciated on this site. http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

Soft Serve
03-23-2010, 04:47 PM
Your time and effort is definitely appreciated on this site. http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

Agreed.

Frobozz
03-28-2010, 12:40 AM
Bug report: As I was posting to my blog, I got to the tags. It said I could put in 5. I put in 5. I hit preview and it told me I had 3 too many tags. Basically, the TEXT says 5, but the software only allows 2.

Also, the title field and tag fields don't scale properly or something, they ran off the right side of their division and were overlapped by the division on the right. On a 1024x768 display, the blog entry is kinda tiny. I could do without the whole right-hand division when blog posting. It just takes up too much unneeded room.

Finally, in chat, it didn't like the word "circumstances" It kept changing it to "cir cum*" which I thought really weird. I even tried it as "cir-cum-stances" and it changed it to "cir-cum*".

Next, the top menu, at least for me in my browser (Firefox latest) the currently selected menu item has a one-pixel or so over-draw off the top. The mouse-over on the menu items shows properly. I don't know if it's supposed to be like this or not. It just looks wrong to me so I thought I'd include it.

Finally, I'm also not too keen with the bright white. An off-white would be much easier on the eyes. Loss of forums within groups also kinda sucks. I have to type in my group forum's name into the search now every time to re-find them.

That's all. Everything else looks great.

outrider
03-28-2010, 11:48 PM
back to the chat, You cannot look at profiles now. it is sunday night. march 21. it was nice to see where folks were from.

Farcaster
03-29-2010, 12:03 AM
back to the chat, You cannot look at profiles now. it is sunday night. march 21. it was nice to see where folks were from.

We are planning to replace the chat software, so there will probably not be any more in-place fixes for the old chat room.

mrken
03-29-2010, 09:43 AM
Wow, I just realized the xp is gone. lol Shows how important it was.

Soft Serve
03-30-2010, 10:02 PM
Wow, I just realized the xp is gone. lol Shows how important it was.

I actually didn't notice either until I saw somebody else say something about it. But then I got grr about it and now I don't mind. Lv-20 was nice though.

Freejack
03-31-2010, 06:54 PM
Just wanted to point out that I poked fun at Thoth on one posting for the number of posts over a short period. Personally I don't care about the XP numbers itself. (I only mention it because I recall a thread that seemed to get a bit wound up when the post was meant in jest and taken a bit too seriously :) ).

With that, I do have a couple of items to point out.

1. The forum name on the right side of the 'New Posts' is cut off. So I see "Forum: Dungeon" for example.

2. On the iPhone, the 'New Posts' page shows the thread titles at about half the size of the "Started by" line. Looks ok with Safari on the Mac.

3. Oh, and there's no real break between the .sigs and the posts any more (well, a very beige on white line).

4. Oh, and the d20 on the main page? It's upside down :D

In general the 'New Posts' page looks unbalanced. Very busy on the left thread title column and somewhat light on the right three columns. I think what makes it look weird is that the Gigantic Envelope, tiny "new posts" button, "Thread title, Started by ... Tuesday MM-DD-YYYY HH:MM PM [1] [2] [3] ... [208]" continues to break into a new line (three in this example) where the right three columns stay at one or two lines making it look even more empty.

But that's just me :)

And of course, a big thanks for all the work. I know it's not easy as I run my own site. Nothing at this level (we just hit 100,000 posts) :)

Carl

rabkala
04-02-2010, 10:31 PM
This new thing blows... Let us go back to the 3.5 version!

Farcaster
04-02-2010, 10:45 PM
That isn't really all that helpful as far as feedback goes, Rab. Presuming you are being serious, in any case.

rabkala
04-03-2010, 09:26 PM
Dear My little Farcaster,
I am sorry for not being serious. Thank you, the end.

I just notice that things are unreadable in the main heading area, cause they are written on top of each other. Never claimed to know nothing bout no puter stuff. :confused:

Farcaster
04-03-2010, 09:50 PM
Main heading area? Do you have a screenshot you could share?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-03-2010, 10:31 PM
I only have one suggestion about this new version, Farcaster: Please darken the background a bit. It is just too bright - and that's even with my special monitor glasses on to decrease the glare.

Any thoughts on my emails? I haven't heard anything one way of the other.

Soft Serve
04-04-2010, 02:40 PM
I only have one suggestion about this new version, Farcaster: Please darken the background a bit. It is just too bright - and that's even with my special monitor glasses on to decrease the glare.

Agreed. Except I don't use monitor glasses...

Farcaster
04-04-2010, 03:32 PM

Hmm.. I don't recall receiving any emails. Perhaps send me a PM.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-04-2010, 03:34 PM
Hmm.. I don't recall receiving any emails. Perhaps send me a PM.

Actually, they were PM's. I'll go to my outbox and resend.

Soft Serve
04-04-2010, 06:05 PM
I wonder if anyone else has lost messages like this. Maybe the PM's and e-mail links from the site are broken.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-04-2010, 08:11 PM
That's a good question. I have a gamer friend that has yet to reply to my PM's. Perhaps there is a problem. Test PM being sent to you, SOft Serve. Send a reply back once you receive.

Soft Serve
04-04-2010, 10:02 PM
That's a good question. I have a gamer friend that has yet to reply to my PM's. Perhaps there is a problem. Test PM being sent to you, SOft Serve. Send a reply back once you receive.

I got that one. Maybe if you send it to multiple users or include a link or picture or something.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-04-2010, 10:20 PM
Received your reply. Guess it works fine.

Soft Serve
04-05-2010, 12:41 AM
Maybe Farcaster just receives a ton of E-Mails and PM's a day and it got lost in the flood.

cplmac
04-05-2010, 11:03 AM
I haven't noticed any problems with the PMs on this end and have been getting and sending over that past week or so.

Deck of Many Things
04-10-2010, 07:44 PM
Um, hate to say this, but at least on my browser (old version of IE, no it's not practical for me to upgrade or switch, and yes it actually still works for everything else I need,) the site's pretty much unusable now. The white background within the boxes is bad enough on the eyes, but the background outside them is corrupted entirely, a lot of text appears on top of other text/bordering, buttons seem at least partially graphically corrupted (the shading looks unintended and ugly,) etc. The sheer number of problems look too pervasive to fix, and the old software worked fine... so if the new software stays most likely I'm going to need to find another site. Just posting this was a bit challenging...

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-10-2010, 08:17 PM
I believe i've said it before, but i will say it again: I'm lovin' the name, Deck of Many Things!

Oh, and Farcaster: I'll resend those emails in a few days. No worries.

:focus:

tesral
04-11-2010, 06:40 AM
Um, hate to say this, but at least on my browser (old version of IE, no it's not practical for me to upgrade or switch, and yes it actually still works for everything else I need,) the site's pretty much unusable now. The white background within the boxes is bad enough on the eyes, but the background outside them is corrupted entirely, a lot of text appears on top of other text/bordering, buttons seem at least partially graphically corrupted (the shading looks unintended and ugly,) etc. The sheer number of problems look too pervasive to fix, and the old software worked fine... so if the new software stays most likely I'm going to need to find another site. Just posting this was a bit challenging...

Older versions of IE do not handle style sheets well (They don't handle standard HTML 4 well) Get Firefox if IE updates are not practical

One thing I have noticed and does bug me (and is not just this site) if you use a font larger than "standard" the menu bars do not resize to fit the height of the text. (Screenshot included.) Note the lowest menu at the top.

Farcaster
04-11-2010, 01:25 PM

By corrupted, I imagine that you might be referring to the problem that IE 6 doesn't handle transparent PNGs and such. Also, as Tesral mentioned, it doesn't support a number of stylesheet options. There's really nothing to be done except upgrade. The web is finally leaving IE 6 behind, and this site definitely is. It is an ancient piece of software that never worked all that well and developing a site to work both on IE6 and other browsers is a nightmare for many reasons besides just stylesheets.

nijineko
04-11-2010, 09:56 PM
hmmmm. i confess that the white background portions will be challenging in certain circumstances. i would add my vote to having it changed, were such a poll taken up.

also, i am displeased that it nixed my profile settings, but i imagine that the new soft would not import the old soft. i'll go poke at them again and see if i can remember what they were. *time passes* or i can just copy them back from my blog settings. ^^

btw, when i click on the blog tab in my profile, i get a big... nothing. utter blank. however, actually going to my blog seems to work fine.

Soft Serve
04-11-2010, 11:36 PM
I think someone might have mentioned this already, but...

On the 4 main computers I use (Each of different moniter size) 3 of them won't see the "Groups" tab form the homepage because it's hidden under the search bar. The 4th one is a widescreen but it can see (and click) it just fine.

The screenshot I took of the issue apparently doesn't want to show it's face in the thread (won't let me put it in the post from this computer) so I'll do it later.