PDA

View Full Version : DM / Player Tools Spellbook Database Hunt

Malruhn
03-21-2010, 08:50 PM
I seek an electronic tool to write up and store spells - with the possibility of being able to query or search by name or component. With what I want it to do, it seems like I am looking for a Microsoft (ack!) Access Database, or something similar.

It's simple - all I want/need is something that will allow me to plug in all the data one would see in a spell description in the PHB...
SPELL NAME (nice big font)
---School/Domain
Casting Time
Duration
etcetera...
And then about 1000 characters worth of description.

I KNOW what I want to see at the end of the rainbow - but I'm not Access-savvy enough to create it myself. :nerd:

Can anyone help or point me in the right direction?? Thanks!! :grouphug:

cplmac
03-22-2010, 06:51 PM
Hey Malruhn, I don't know of any specific device, but I would think that in this day and age, there is most likely something already out that will do just what you want. The hard part will be to track it down. I presume that you are looking for something that is smaller than a laptop computer? Would a cell phone with internet access on it work? Down side would be that you would have to leave the computer at home on in order to use the phone to access information from it remotely.

Malruhn
03-22-2010, 11:11 PM
DUDE, you are WAY overpowering my search!!!

I'm looking for a program file... an Excel Spreadsheet or Access Database or similar so I can enter home-grown spells and then do searches or queries for them later. Purely a library-type archival tool.

Y'know... after re-reading my original post, I can totally understand why you thought that. Dammit, why can't you guys (and gals) just READ MY MIND!! It would be SO much easier than having to actually be CLEAR in what I type!! :lol:

Sorry about the confusilationary commentabulos. My bad.

Here's a related question: How do the experienced DM's here manage their home-made spells? For years I used 3x5 cards, but with several bundles, I've decided to go electronic...

Thanks!

cplmac
03-23-2010, 05:46 PM
Oops! Sorry, I thought you were looking for a way to be able to take the information with you to the game session. Going with looking for something to use as a library file, I don't know any specific pieces of software, but I would think that there should be something out there that is basically index cards. Was wondering if maybe something that is made for keeping food recipies on would work. Might even be able to set up a template and just plug in the spell info then. Have you given Microsoft Office or other similar products a look? They may actually be more than you need, but might have an index card function included.

tesral
03-24-2010, 10:14 AM
I'm looking for a program file... an Excel Spreadsheet or Access Database or similar so I can enter home-grown spells and then do searches or queries for them later. Purely a library-type archival tool.

So, create a spreadsheet. It would not be that big a deal to get the spells entered into it, a tad time consuming, but doable.

The Hypertext d20 SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/) has a good layout for HTML. It would be easy enough to suck down their site and extend the information in the web publishing program you prefer. Use your browser to navigate it.

Here's a related question: How do the experienced DM's here manage their home-made spells? For years I used 3x5 cards, but with several bundles, I've decided to go electronic...

I add them to the book. Being that all my books are home made adding the custom spells is a non-issue.

Oops! Sorry, I thought you were looking for a way to be able to take the information with you to the game session..

You take your laptop. The laptop is becoming more common at the gaming table. I'm an Old School Grognard and I have been using a computer more and more. More people have laptops as their only computer these days as well.

Soft Serve
03-24-2010, 12:28 PM
I seek an electronic tool to write up and store spells - with the possibility of being able to query or search by name or component. With what I want it to do, it seems like I am looking for a Microsoft (ack!) Access Database, or something similar.

It's simple - all I want/need is something that will allow me to plug in all the data one would see in a spell description in the PHB...
SPELL NAME (nice big font)
---School/Domain
Casting Time
Duration
etcetera...
And then about 1000 characters worth of description.

I KNOW what I want to see at the end of the rainbow - but I'm not Access-savvy enough to create it myself. :nerd:

Can anyone help or point me in the right direction?? Thanks!! :grouphug:

Microsoft Word/Wordpad/Notepad.

Make a basic layout (Which you have done already in bold up there in that quote)

And then use ctrl+F to just find specific words or phrases.