PDA

View Full Version : Going Skiing

d-_-b
03-19-2010, 07:05 PM
I'm starting up a campaign in the frozen north of Faerun and naturally I plan on using skis. Only, I cannot find any rules detailing their use:(. So, does anyone know what skills and/or feats are employed when using skis?

Severion
03-20-2010, 09:57 AM
Skis and Poles Skis allow full movement across snow and icy surfaces but cannot be used at all on on any other other terrain. Downhill speed can be as a run (x4) on slight grades or as a run (x5) in sever grades. It takes a full round action to don or remove skis.

They cost 15gp and weigh 6 lb.

d-_-b
03-20-2010, 12:04 PM
Thanks, but I already know that:o The problem is that it does not specify what qualifications you need to use skis. I presume you would need some skill or feat to use them properly and gain the benefits?

Severion
03-20-2010, 02:22 PM
I agree whole heartedly, however there doesn't seem to be any ruling on that in the one book that should definitely have it. I say it's house rule time.

wizarddog
03-20-2010, 11:35 PM
3.5 doesn't really have a pilot skill nor a consolidated skill like athletics so a basic Dex or Strength check would be used for the skill when you have to do some particularly fancy maneuverer. Just use the jump skill when you need to make a jump, acrobatics to do flips, climb to push up a hill, etc. The issue is that it should not require a train only skill to use skis in an environment where they would be common place. The skill would be usable by anyone.

Arkhemedes
03-21-2010, 08:55 AM
It's not that you couldn't create a skill called skiing. As anybody whose been skiing should know, there is a great deal of difference between an expert skier and a complete novice. Don't be afraid to create a skill just because you can't find it in a rulebook somewhere.

tesral
03-21-2010, 07:18 PM
Agreed. A skill is fine. A feat would be abusive. It would be equally good, if not better to state: "Everyone skis, it's want you do here." And not force characters to use skill point that are in far too short a supply just to move.

Remember, Rule of Yes, not rule of no.