PDA

View Full Version : Any Forgotten Realms players out there?

RealmsDM
02-18-2007, 08:40 PM
Just wondering who plays what around here. Wanna get a feel for the crowd before I start posting Forgotten Realms specific things here...:cool:

vic_kidd
02-19-2007, 03:15 AM
Me.....I just started a group out of the Raven's Bluff area and heading them out toward the vast swamp.....what a good time they are going to have there.

Farcaster
02-19-2007, 10:57 AM
My D&D games occur basically exclusively in the Forgotten Realms. It is my fantasy world of choice. :)

RealmsDM
02-20-2007, 12:06 AM
ah good... the WotC message boards have become a bore. Same people ranting about the same things, and most have a real narrow minded outlook & IMO post for the sake of trying to flex their mental muscles for all things FR & D&D.....

anyway, I'd like to hear about any of your campaigns. I've just started a new one (as a player this time) and I like to see what other are doing in the realms- especially if you're incorporating any NEW material from novels (Obould & his orc horde, the elven return, Khelben's sacrifice, etc.

vic_kidd
02-20-2007, 12:52 PM
I have the group in a fued with the Shadow Thieves, and having them go all over the realms so they get and idea of the Forgotten Realms. It makes for a great regurring storyline and have some of the players trade off as the DM so I don't get burned out so quickly and I get to be a player from time to time.

Farcaster
02-20-2007, 12:55 PM
Ironically, although my current campaign is set in the Forgotten Realms, much of the action and story is actually happening in the Nine Planes of Hell. (I use the core cosmology instead of the Forgotten Realms cosmology, by way) I lovingly refer to our current campaign as "Invasion Hell," and we're just about to start off the Year of Rogue Dragons.

In my game world, a series of events have unfolded that have resulted in there being a direct and permanent portal from the Cania, the 8th plane of Hell in Damara. In fact, the entire Bloodstone Palace has been shifted into Hell. To protect his realm and recover his daughter who has been kidnapped, King Dragonsbane has started a campaign, whether it be ill conceived or not, to invade Hell and destroy Mephistar. So, it is reversal on the archetypical invasion from Hell scenario.

At the moment, though, my players are working on a side quest in the Underdark...

As far as FR core material, I am considering adding a plot complication during the Year of Rogue Dragons, since, after all, King Dragonsbane and his forces are supposed to be defending the realms from enraged dragons at that point, and will be otherwise indisposed, if you will.

RealmsDM
02-20-2007, 10:37 PM
Farcaster, try to get your hands on the 2nd ed. adventure "A paladin in hell", which was based on the now famous picture in the 1st ed. DMG (I think it was the DMG- maybe the PHB)
anyway, it deals with Asmodeus having a lackey shift an entire cathedral into hell (Stygia i think) and the whole time, the "clock" is ticking while the PCs rush to save it before the taint of the Nine Hells forever damns the holy place & all within....
very good kick-ass high level hellborne adventure!

Volcatius
08-10-2008, 12:03 PM
My party has been tromping around in the 'north' for about five in-game years now, since just before the rise of obould, through the war, and now in the after effects. It's been a long run, taking 4 (then at 11th level) 3 characters from 1st to 16th level with the only spellcaster a ranger. They apart from a trip to cormyr delivering a package and intermittant trips to the underdark, they have been in the region just about exclusivly, and no, they have not met drizzt.

nijineko
08-10-2008, 08:56 PM
i borrow things from fr, but i must admit that i go with good old greyhawk and blackmoor for setting. nothing like the originals, or so they say. even so, i borrow a fair amount of stuff from other settings to customize my versions of greyhawk with. ^^

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
08-10-2008, 09:50 PM
Two Forgotten Realms 4.0 games currently ongoing. I find that lately it has mostly been FR.

Although, one of our DM's did mention that he was going to start an Eberron Campaign when released 4.0, in 2009.

Thoth-Amon

Tamerath
08-11-2008, 04:17 AM
Forgotten Realms Lover from WAY back. I have always loved the setting and look forward to what it will bring in 4th edition

Thriondel Half-Elven
08-11-2008, 02:28 PM
I absolutely love the Forgotten Realms. I bought the campaign book after my first campaign (in my own world) ended. and play the second campaign in the FR. Then my DnD gaming went on hiatus. But now i'm back in the game.

Wanted to start a FR campaign with my new group, but i figured since my group is new to the game i figured i would run a campaign in a created world. to make things easier for them and start their DnD experience off easy. since the FR have so many options for classes and races, etc. and the land is HUGE.

But as soon as the first campaign is over. . . I'm going home to Faerun!

Talmek
08-12-2008, 05:56 AM
I DM'ed in Forgotten Realms for a few years. Come to think of it, FR is what got me interested in the RPGA with all their Green Regent awesome-ness.

Yea though I walk through the Valley of RPG-hating rednecks, I will fear no shotgun (nor hurled insults and accusations of being a Satanist).

Skunkape
08-12-2008, 06:59 AM
We have one regular game and one pick up game, for when pivital members of the regular group can't make it, that are set in the Realms. We've also got two other games which are set in homebrew worlds.

While I like the realms and have run campaigns in them in the past, and if I run the pick up game, was started with the idea that any of the 3 GMs in the group can run it, I'll be running in the realms again, but I prefer my homebrew world, one that I've been working on for almost 30 years.:)

agoraderek
08-12-2008, 06:38 PM
FR is my back-up option when not running games set in the homebrew. i use it mostly for one offs and introductory gaming, as its easier to hand a player the FRCS than a bunch of spiral notebooks and loose paper...

Thriondel Half-Elven
08-17-2008, 03:31 PM
Of all us FR regulars what is your favorite region to play/DM in?

Jcosby
08-19-2008, 01:06 PM
Of all us FR regulars what is your favorite region to play/DM in?

It must be a FR day today. I'm pretty excited about the direction WotC is taking the Realms. I really like the points of light style they are moving in with the Forgotten Realms. I'm just really disappointed with 4th Edition, so I will have to rework everything into 3.75 when it's finally published. That's not a deal breaker for me since I usually modify the Forgotten Relams for my campaigns, just it's usually story lines and not actual game mechanics.

As for the quoted question above... That's a real tough question especially for a Forgotten Realms lover. Spine of the World, the Sword Coast, Waterdeep, Chult, Thay, Dalelands, Cormyr, Etc etc. All places in the Realms are worth running in or playing. I think that statement alone is what sets the Realms apart from most worlds.

Jeff

Thriondel Half-Elven
08-19-2008, 03:13 PM
It must be a FR day today. I'm pretty excited about the direction WotC is taking the Realms. I really like the points of light style they are moving in with the Forgotten Realms. I'm just really disappointed with 4th Edition, so I will have to rework everything into 3.75 when it's finally published. That's not a deal breaker for me since I usually modify the Forgotten Relams for my campaigns, just it's usually story lines and not actual game mechanics.

As for the quoted question above... That's a real tough question especially for a Forgotten Realms lover. Spine of the World, the Sword Coast, Waterdeep, Chult, Thay, Dalelands, Cormyr, Etc etc. All places in the Realms are worth running in or playing. I think that statement alone is what sets the Realms apart from most worlds.

Jeff

Exactly!

Chi
08-20-2008, 11:19 PM
The three groups that I have played with have all played forgotton realms!

Thriondel Half-Elven
08-21-2008, 06:40 PM
The three groups that I have played with have all played forgotton realms!

really? i didn't know that. its a very good setting. the best in my opinion. Mr. Greenwood did a fine job on it.

Chi
08-21-2008, 06:45 PM
really? i didn't know that. its a very good setting. the best in my opinion. Mr. Greenwood did a fine job on it.

That is cause you never ask about my past campains!:p

Thriondel Half-Elven
08-21-2008, 09:27 PM
That is cause you never ask about my past campains!:p

i started a thread about old campaigns and adventures. go check it out!:biggrin:

Chi
08-21-2008, 09:34 PM
i started a thread about old campaigns and adventures. go check it out!:biggrin:
I have read through it!!:D

Thriondel Half-Elven
08-21-2008, 09:53 PM
I have read through it!!:D

then go ahead and post your tales. we would all love to hear them