PDA

View Full Version : Anyone running a Science Fiction game?

fmitchell
02-16-2007, 01:03 AM
So is anyone actually running a science fiction / futuristic game? If so:

What genre? (e.g. Cyberpunk, Hard SF, Space Opera, Post-Apocalyptic)

What rules? (e.g. d20 Modern/Future, D6, GURPS, Traveller)

How's it going?

ronpyatt
02-16-2007, 10:57 AM
Soft Sci-Fi, modern psychic adventure, near future.
I'm play testing a modified version of PDQ, (2d10).
So far, it's the easiest GMing I've ever done.

Moritz
02-20-2007, 09:54 AM
I ran a Star Wars game that ended just under a year ago. It was a whole lot of fun, but one player went off to war, another fell off the map because he joined a cult, leaving us with three players and myself. It wasn't enough stimulation I suppose. So it faded out after a year of solid play.

Now I have a ton of books and a hundred mini's. Still, love the game.

Farcaster
02-20-2007, 11:16 AM
I ran a Star Wars game that ended just under a year ago. It was a whole lot of fun, but one player went off to war, another fell off the map because he joined a cult

Not to digress too much, but a cult? Interesting. That's not something I hear every day.

TheMetal1
05-14-2007, 11:47 AM
Don't know if this link is still active, but here is what I'm doing.

What genre? (e.g. Cyberpunk, Hard SF, Space Opera, Post-Apocalyptic) - I'm doing a Post Apocalyptic - Rifts Game
What rules? (e.g. d20 Modern/Future, D6, GURPS, Traveller) - Palladium System
How's it going? Just started, in Character creation.

spotlight
05-14-2007, 01:10 PM
Say, Farcaster, a cult is like an abusive spouse. They try to separate you from all your friends.
And Moritz, let me know if you plan to start up another SW game. I even have my own Lego Light sabre (sniker, sniker)

Moritz
05-14-2007, 05:16 PM
I've considered it, a lot. But recently I've moved down to Waxahachie, opened another chiropractic office, and been just so busy with the girlfriend and all that goes into that environment. - But not the abusive spouse type - when we find the time this summer, I'll be running a super heroic game and she wants to play, so yay.

So, perhaps in the fall I may start up a SW game. Depending on time, location, location, location, and interest.

TheSpaceBeagle
05-16-2007, 08:08 AM
I run classic Traveller, with the standard galaxy of house rules and modifications. I also run Star Trek (Last Unicorn Games/Icon System).

While a huge ST fan, getting others into it hasn't always been easy so I've focused on Traveller and we've developed a very in depth campaign universe as a result.

Now if I can only find players and a regular gaming schedule...

Farcaster
05-16-2007, 11:42 AM
I also run Star Trek (Last Unicorn Games/Icon System).

I loved that game. My group played Star Trek using that system for a brief time while we took a sabbatical from D&D. If you were here in Seattle, I'd join your game in a heartbeat!

TheSpaceBeagle
05-24-2007, 12:15 AM
Thanks I appreciate that. I'm also glad you liked the game itself. I was a playtester on the Star Trek: TNG game and one of the writers on the Andorian sourcebook. Decipher really needs to revamp it's system and start producing books. That or give up the license and let someone else do something with it.

Inquisitor Tremayne
07-19-2007, 02:25 PM
Currently running a Star Wars game. Set 3 years after Episode III which did not end how you saw it end in the movie! MMMWWWWHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I've been interested in trying an Aliens games using the D20 Modern rules. The ALIEN trilogy are my favorite movies of all time!

Argent
07-24-2007, 08:24 AM
Running a d20 Modern Urban Arcana campaign, set right here in Edmonton. It's a lot of fun, and as someone commented earlier, some of the easiest GMing I've ever done. One of the benefits of placing it in the city we live in is, I don't have to spend a lot of time describing things. If I tell them, "The wolf-thing runs into the Muttart Conservatory" they know exactly what I'm talking about. And what other game would feature a female jock that fights evil using a lacrosse stick?

Moritz
07-24-2007, 09:55 AM
Argent,

I ran a game set in my home town, then Dallas, and another in Los Angeles. You're right, using a local setting where everyone is familiar with and/or able to drive to is really freaking easy.

Argent
07-24-2007, 07:46 PM
Argent,

I ran a game set in my home town, then Dallas, and another in Los Angeles. You're right, using a local setting where everyone is familiar with and/or able to drive to is really freaking easy.

And I find the players get more into it as well. They have an investment in the setting that isn't there if you make Generic, Canada their hometown. As well, I can introduce local celebrities/personalities as NPCs, sometimes with a little twist to keep it interesting. For instance, the Mayor is a sorcerer; not a very powerful one, but he uses his magic to help sway council votes and deal with other politicians. The party knows this, can't prove it, and aren't sure whether he is a good guy or a bad guy. And I'm not telling yet...

Inquisitor Tremayne
07-24-2007, 10:26 PM
Running a d20 Modern Urban Arcana campaign, set right here in Edmonton. It's a lot of fun, and as someone commented earlier, some of the easiest GMing I've ever done. One of the benefits of placing it in the city we live in is, I don't have to spend a lot of time describing things. If I tell them, "The wolf-thing runs into the Muttart Conservatory" they know exactly what I'm talking about. And what other game would feature a female jock that fights evil using a lacrosse stick?

Yeah, your right! when i lived in Kansas City we played a Vampire game set in KC. It was great cause everyone knew the layout of the city and the local celebrities who were Vampires also!!!

Torg
09-23-2007, 12:48 PM
I have been trying to put together a dark/sci-fi game using the iridium core rules... set in future terra... around 45 years after the syngularity ... blade runnerish... but so far each group decends into wanting to do fantasy.

Still looking to start something tho.

-don

Digital Arcanist
09-23-2007, 03:38 PM
Running a Champions game in a setting thats Bladerunner meets Metropolis. So far everything is working well.

I'm playing in a cinematic GURPS campaign where all the characters work in a paranormal investigation agency. We just finished a faerie case and this next case involves some aliens...or so we think!!!!

Grungydan
10-23-2007, 10:44 AM
What genre? Cyberpunk/fantasy
What rules? Shadowrun 4th Edition
How's it going? Pretty well. I'm running it over Skype for some guys in 3 states, so scheduling is hard. We're shooting for bimonthly, but we've only played once so far. Next game is on the 3rd of November. I'm excited about it, the story is one of my best thus far (IMO of course ;)).

MortonStromgal
10-26-2007, 12:24 PM
Currently running a Star Wars game. Set 3 years after Episode III which did not end how you saw it end in the movie! MMMWWWWHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I always thought it would be fun to run Episodes I-III where Christophers Lee's character isn't Sith and he's right about the coming of the Sith and trying to stop it but the Jedi are arrogant and wont listen.

Moritz
10-26-2007, 12:41 PM
I've always thought of running a SW game where Luke (played by Kermit) battles the evil Darth Vader (played by Gonzo) to save the beautiful Princess Piggy (played by Miss Piggy).

http://www.muppetcentral.com/_images/muppets/group_star_wars.jpg

MortonStromgal
11-05-2007, 04:58 PM
I've always thought of running a SW game where Luke (played by Kermit) battles the evil Darth Vader (played by Gonzo) to save the beautiful Princess Piggy (played by Miss Piggy).

http://www.muppetcentral.com/_images/muppets/group_star_wars.jpg

Wasn't that on youtube?

recently I have had a couple players show intrest in playing 2e or 1e shadowrun back in good old 2050. :D

fmitchell
11-05-2007, 05:21 PM
How about a SF game where the Jedi Knights, aided by the Vorlon Empire, battle Cylons, Gorn, and Reavers for possession of the TARDIS.

And, no, I'm not entirely kidding ...

PhishStyx
11-05-2007, 05:40 PM
What genre? Cyberpunk/fantasy
What rules? Shadowrun 4th Edition
How's it going? Pretty well. I'm running it over Skype for some guys in 3 states, so scheduling is hard. We're shooting for bimonthly, but we've only played once so far. Next game is on the 3rd of November. I'm excited about it, the story is one of my best thus far (IMO of course ;)).

How's this going?

Digital Arcanist
11-12-2007, 09:02 PM
How about a SF game where the Jedi Knights, aided by the Vorlon Empire, battle Cylons, Gorn, and Reavers for possession of the TARDIS.

I would love to play in that campaign. Can I be a human cylon as my race and Timelord as my class? I want a laser screwdriver like the Master and a hot companion like Rose!!!!!!

Grinnen Baeritt
11-13-2007, 07:58 AM

How's it going?

Just finished a PBP game of Blue Planet v.1

1. Hard Sci-fi
2. Blue Planet v.1 (V.2 are a LOT easier)
3. Finished. :)

It was the first PBP I ran, and as with most PBP lasted a very long time. It was a convention scenario that I wrote, originally as a 2-parter (meant to last a total of 8 hours). In the end lasted about 3 years... with multiple player changes and one forum change midway.

The Original Thread from RPG.net

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=148160

The Rest from rpgrm.com

http://www.rpgrm.com/rmsmf/index.php?topic=509.0

I pre-generated the characters so that players unfamiliar with the system wouldn't get bogged down before the game started.

I throughly reccomend the setting, absolutelty fantastic depth (no pun intended..even though it is set mainly on a water-world!), and even though the game has gone out of print there are still copies out there on e-bay.

Its main failing (v.1.) is that its combat system is VERY realistic (and perhaps over complicated because of it.

Snuffy
11-13-2007, 03:22 PM

How's it going?1. Post Apcalyptic
2. Paladium Books, Rifts

3. How's it going? The game has been going well and we've been playing about a year and a half now. I've finished my first idea for the campaign and now we're heading to a new location.

PhishStyx
11-13-2007, 06:52 PM
[/list]1. Post Apcalyptic
2. Paladium Books, Rifts

3. How's it going? The game has been going well and we've been playing about a year and a half now. I've finished my first idea for the campaign and now we're heading to a new location.

Where is your game set?

Moritz
11-14-2007, 03:50 PM

Now, a Battlestar Galactica game... That would be pretty cool, but very emo after a short period.

Oh god, I need to dress in black and cut myself because the cylons will eventually wipe us out, they're so impossibly outnumbering and powerful. wah wah wah

Skunkape
11-15-2007, 08:09 AM
Now, a Battlestar Galactica game... That would be pretty cool, but very emo after a short period.

Yeah, I can see how that could get old fast!

The only sci-fi game I tend to run is a near Earth campaign, set in the 24th century and details the final years before the collapse of near Earth society, which eventually leads up to a post apocalypse campaign, based on the Gamma World game. Generally the players have an indirect effect on the final years, but not always.

Not sure when I’ll run it the next time, a lot depends on when my players and I get tire of fantasy. Course, I’ve got to find a game system I really like to use for the game. I had started to run the sci-fi game in January of 2007, using the D20 Modern, but there wasn’t enough interest from the group, so I went back to fantasy.

Moritz
11-15-2007, 08:47 AM
Even though I hate it, the Hero system is really very good with every tiny little thing you can imagine to generate or deal with. d20 Modern is also excellent, but there's some learning curve to it and sometimes just not worth it. While in Hero, there's a lot of math, in d20, there's just simple rolls +/- modifiers.

Digital Arcanist
11-15-2007, 12:25 PM
AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! There isn't that much math involved during play. There is math involved during character creation. If you find a good template for the creator you can generate tables telling you what DCV you hit with each roll. There are also generic tables included with the game that remove all the math.

Oh fair Mathematics, hear not these words most foul. The cretins deserve you not my love!!!!!!!:D

russdm
11-15-2007, 12:47 PM
1. Star Wars
2. Saga Edition
3. Hasn't started quite yet, haven't found players.

I have been thinking about starting up a Game in the belleuve WA area. IT would be set during the years between episodes 3 and 4. Already got some adventures ideas.

Moritz
11-15-2007, 01:44 PM
Math Sux!

Take that you stinking math gods.

Skunkape
11-15-2007, 02:22 PM
Hero doesn't scare me, I ran/played it for many years. Just takes quite a bit of prep time. Course, most of the game systems I've seen as far as sci-fi type games always cause me more prep time than any fantasy system I've ever looked at!:D

Snuffy
11-15-2007, 03:43 PM
Where is your game set?

I gotta check my settings for topic reply notification. Sorry for the delay.

At this point in time, our game is set in 102PA and the group is traveling in the northern region of Ohio and into Michigan. The next area will be New Lazlo, then Lazlo, and then up to Old Bones......if they don't get distracted along the way.

Nord_drache
01-09-2008, 09:45 PM
I'm setting up a Phase World campaign for a friend I game with - for his "kids" (younger teens).

Could be interesting getting them out of the thought process of sci-fi = the normal franchises <star trek / star wars / babylon5 etc>

I think I'm up to it though.

jayphailey
01-14-2008, 09:29 AM
I am currently running Star Wars. Let's be real, it's science fantasy. But it seems to work okay.

I am using Star Wars d20 revised, with bits of d20 modern thrown in.

If you can file the serial numbers off of it, you can run anything in Star Wars.

It's a wonderfully flexible setting.

Jay ~Meow!~

jayphailey
01-14-2008, 09:31 AM
What is Phase world?

rabkala
01-14-2008, 09:36 AM
I am currently running Star Wars. Let's be real, it's science fantasy. But it seems to work okay.

I am using Star Wars d20 revised, with bits of d20 modern thrown in.

If you can file the serial numbers off of it, you can run anything in Star Wars.

It's a wonderfully flexible setting.

Jay ~Meow!~
Agreed. I never had any problem with d20 Star Wars, especially when mixing with other d20 like modern and future. Science fantasy works for me.

I must admit though, I've been itching to try out Saga in a game.

Inquisitor Tremayne
01-14-2008, 09:48 AM
I can never say enough good things about Saga. I love it. Of course it has its weak area and possible flaws, but holy crap it is easy to play!

Snuffy
01-14-2008, 09:56 AM
What is Phase world?

Phase World is part of Palladium Rifts, just placed on the other side of the galaxy or even possibly another dimension.

rabkala
01-14-2008, 10:08 AM
Phase world http://www.palladiumbooks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=D800

jayphailey
01-14-2008, 10:57 AM
Phase World is part of Palladium Rifts, just placed on the other side of the galaxy or even possibly another dimension.

Thank you.

Jay ~meow!~

Mulsiphix
01-14-2008, 04:57 PM
I'll soon be running a BattleTech/Starship Troopers campaign, using the FASA and GURPS rulesets. I'm considering even adding in many of the universe elements from Vor: The Maelstrom. It will be my first RP campaign (not adventure) and I'm going nuts with excitement :D

tesral
01-15-2008, 09:12 AM
Star Trek, online, one on one with no real system in mind. It has been running for years. I guess it's working out.

Snuffy
01-15-2008, 09:48 AM
I'll soon be running a BattleTech/Starship Troopers campaign, using the FASA and GURPS rulesets. I'm considering even adding in many of the universe elements from Vor: The Maelstrom. It will be my first RP campaign (not adventure) and I'm going nuts with excitement :D

This sounds interesting!!! Are you going to be posting updates about the game as it goes? Something like a log?

Mulsiphix
01-15-2008, 09:58 AM
I'm going to make a website for it actually. I'll most likely run two or three games a week with different groups (possibly entirely on the internet) which are different squads of soldiers. They will team up from time to time for adventures but I plan to detail the world heavily after the novel and roughnecks animted series.

The website will contain data logs, possibly videos of each session (probably heavily edited to trim out all the "waiting" and scheduled AFK), a wiki will full character and setting info, and anything else I can think of that would fit. I'll use the website to recruit people in the beginning and the players can use it to keep current on what the other squads adventures are like.

I plan to add onto the universe heavily though. This campaign will be designed to run for one to three years, depending on how things are going during the first year. BattleTech itself takes quite a while of time to play depending on the encounter. The setting will most likely be 50% combat/50% RP.

The VOR, and any other monsters I pull from gaming lines, will be created under a mix of the BattleTech alien rules and GURPS. I'll use as much GURPS as I can to define it but more than anything I'll be making sure it fits into the BattleTech games as a balanced opponent.

Right now I'm trying to write my first book. I've written countless short stories and worked on several projects but have never written an actual novel. As a writer I am interested in creating a new universe that is vast and magnificent. Something huge like Star Wars or Star Trek. Whether this setting will be my "super setting" is unknown but I do plan to create campaigns that I can use as a basis for my novels, and that can be fed by information from my novels.

jayphailey
01-15-2008, 10:49 AM
Good luck with your new campaign.

Jay ~Meow!~

Mulsiphix
01-15-2008, 01:09 PM
Many thanks. Once I get things more organized I'll dedicate a thread to it in order to get some feedback. I'm betting quite a few of the inhabitants here have seen or read Starship Troopers :D

Freejack
01-15-2008, 01:12 PM
Cyberpunk
Shadowrun 4th
Pretty good. I've been running missions from the website to get up to speed. I'm using another campaign setting soon as ideas for the upcoming arc away from the missions arc.

Carl

Inquisitor Tremayne
01-15-2008, 04:22 PM
Freejack! That name is awesome! Someone should make an RPG based on that corny Sci-Fi movie!

Mick Jagger, Emilio Estevez, Anthony Hopkins and Renee Russo! Classic!

Freejack
01-15-2008, 04:49 PM
Freejack! That name is awesome! Someone should make an RPG based on that corny Sci-Fi movie!

Mick Jagger, Emilio Estevez, Anthony Hopkins and Renee Russo! Classic!

Yep. Got it on DVD :)

"By the way, you don't know how to drive."

:D

Carl

GBVenkman
01-16-2008, 12:54 AM
I'm running a saga game, it's great. I want to play as a character really badly though.

I think it would be cool to run a Saga ruled game with a super troopers or alien setting. Make the force "luck" and cut out the force user classes.. Super troopers/aliens campaign would in my mind be a more soldier/scout/scoundrel campaign anyhow.

Mulsiphix
01-16-2008, 01:06 AM
Anybody here seen the Roughnecks animated series?

tesral
01-16-2008, 01:18 PM
Many thanks. Once I get things more organized I'll dedicate a thread to it in order to get some feedback. I'm betting quite a few of the inhabitants here have seen or read Starship Troopers :D

It's two seperate catagories really. The movie might be based off the book, but they are very different.

Starship Troopers is not my favorite Heinlein. He is too preachy throughout.

Mulsiphix
01-16-2008, 01:36 PM
Heinlein was a visionary that was unfortunately brought into this world before his time. The Starship Troopers movie was so loosely based on the book that it disgusts me. If you've ever seen the Roughnecks animated series you'll understand why. What was your favorite Heinlein book then?

Nord_drache
01-16-2008, 10:48 PM
I must admit that I don't remember much Heinlein - except for one "juvenile" novel. That was Starman Jones. It gave such a grand vision of accidental exploration, and an interesting form of FTL travel. I think what it also illustrated was the ability of the individual if he has the right gifts determination and the right situation to suceed even if "society" says he can't. The protaganist is a relative of an astrogator with a photographic memory - astrogators are trained by a guild and he is rejected. He gets on a space liner as a very low ranking crewman and is able to save the ship with his gift.

Mulsiphix
01-16-2008, 10:53 PM
I wish I could have met the man myself :(

TAROT
01-17-2008, 02:25 PM
I sometimes wonder if books like Revolt in 2100 played much part in derailing the space program.

tesral
01-17-2008, 04:22 PM
Heinlein was a visionary that was unfortunately brought into this world before his time. The Starship Troopers movie was so loosely based on the book that it disgusts me. If you've ever seen the Roughnecks animated series you'll understand why. What was your favorite Heinlein book then?

"Time Enough for Love" I have a signed hardcover on my shelf. "Stranger in a Strange Land" rates highly. I'm not too fond of the later works. I like the Future History series or tales in general. "Glory Road" is another favorite.

nijineko
01-19-2008, 10:55 AM
i have a floating campaign where it is a futuristic version of d&d. rather interesting storyline involving a shady dude who hired us to beat an inevitable that's hunting him. too bad he didn't include our moral alignment in his calculations. i'm playing a rather fun soulknife/pyrokinetic type. =D

Mulsiphix
01-19-2008, 12:54 PM
Is it a D20 Future campaign, D20 product, or is it a custom setting?

Drohem
01-19-2008, 09:21 PM
Is it a D20 Future campaign, D20 product, or is it a custom setting?

It's a sourcebook that presents several different short campaign ideas; each with a specific class.

It provides rules on different levels of technology, equipment for various Progress Level (i.e. technology levels), mecha rules, genetic rules, new feats, expanded skill uses, etc.

It's a must have for running a futuristic game with d20 Modern.

Vic-
01-19-2008, 09:37 PM

How's it going?

1.)Space Opera?
2.) D20 Future /Stardrive
3.) Not so good as we don't get to play as much as i'd like.
I am a big fan of Cosmic Encounter and use the aliens in that game as the prime bad guys in my game.

Mulsiphix
01-19-2008, 09:39 PM
It's a sourcebook that presents several different short campaign ideas; each with a specific class.

It provides rules on different levels of technology, equipment for various Progress Level (i.e. technology levels), mecha rules, genetic rules, new feats, expanded skill uses, etc.

It's a must have for running a futuristic game with d20 Modern.

Sounds delicious. While I may not be playing D20 I have already started to digest "must have" settings for usage, anywhere from inspirational to direct, in GURPS. DragonMech (http://www.goodman-games.com/dragonmech.php), DragonStar (http://fantasyflightgames.com/dsproducts.html), and a growing list of others :D

nijineko
01-21-2008, 11:24 AM
i have most of the dragonstar books! =D rather fun concept, but i want to mix more spelljammer-esc elements into it. i don't go for the whole crystal spheres concept, but i liked the inter-prime travel ideas which i think would work nicely for hyperspace in dragonstar, rather than using the teleportation mechanic.

i've looked at dragonmech, and it also looks interesting.

as far as the futuristic d&d campaign. it's basically d&d ripped up and plunked down into a future background. minor tech is easily available, but beyond that the prices climb rapidly. and as we are civilians, we don't have a lot of access to military hardware. but it's still a fun feel.

Inquisitor Tremayne
04-09-2008, 04:30 PM
Bump!

To see if there are any new folks with Sci-Fi games.

Let us know!

Rabiki
05-05-2008, 09:34 AM
I don't have any games running right now, but I'm currently working on creating a new world to base our gaming in. Here's some of what we've got...check out rabiki.com (http://rabiki.com/forum/index.php) if you want help in a collaborative world building effort.

1. It's a few thousand years in the future.

2. We've terraformed Mars, and most of humanity now lives there.

3. The inhabitants of Earth are mostly criminals looking for a place to hide in our solar system, and a few poor who were left behind, and not taken to Mars.

4. Earth's natural resources have been depleted, and our over-consumption has pretty much made it a waste-land. A literal trash planet. Ships actually fly over and dump their trash into the atmosphere.

5. Humanity has attained Faster Than Light (FTL) travel, and have colonized out as far as 1000 Light years from earth. They occasionally go farther.

6. Leaning more toward hard sci-fi... However remember this "Any sufficiently advanced technology looks like magic" A. C. Clarke

After we get a few species ironed out, I'd like to run a few games. The games will probably be pretty quick paced...they will be play-by-post, but will try to finish a game within one or two nights.

tesral
05-05-2008, 11:34 AM
After we get a few species ironed out, I'd like to run a few games. The games will probably be pretty quick paced...they will be play-by-post, but will try to finish a game within one or two nights.

You are expecting faster than light. I have never seen play by post run that fast, ever.

boulet
05-05-2008, 12:48 PM
They may have the equivalent of chess blitz : after each GM post starts a 5 minutes timer, if PCs fail to reply in time foes strangle them with nasty tentacles... Just kidding.

Tesral is right, it sounds like this online game would be chat based rather than forum based :)

Rabiki
05-05-2008, 03:41 PM
You are expecting faster than light. I have never seen play by post run that fast, ever.

Yeah...i guess it would be more like a chat game. Still undecided how to play, but lots to do as far as world-building.

tesral
05-05-2008, 09:12 PM
Yeah...i guess it would be more like a chat game. Still undecided how to play, but lots to do as far as world-building.

PbP can be and usually is slower than geologic change. I have seen it take six months for a 24 hour day to pass.

Keep in mind that every extra player doubles the time between moves unless you are a move nazi and enforce activity rules.

Chat is a different animal with which I have no direct experience and thus will refrain from comment or advice.

As to world building, don't over load the game with too much data dump or frontloading. You can start the game with very little in the way of finished world. Remember, the universe is only as big as what the players can see. Paint a borad backdrop and keep their attention focued on the details that are finished.

I have seen many a grand game that never got started becasue the GM spent all his time planning, and none of it gaming. "But it will be great when it's finished!" If that is the case, write a source book. Slap down some broad strokes, get a bit of detail, whomp up a conflict and start playing.

Webhead
05-12-2008, 01:20 PM
Chat is a different animal with which I have no direct experience and thus will refrain from comment or advice.

Chat-based games (of which I've run a few) can be a lot of fun and definately move more quickly than PbP. The problem with chat-based however, is that groups will very rarely survive beyond 3 to 4 sessions as all need to be in the same place at the same time, meeting each other's schedule restraints. Too often, a person can't make it one week, then the next...then a second disappears, etc. I've had a great time running some chat-based games, but they are best approached with very short-term expectations.

As to world building, don't over load the game with too much data dump or frontloading. YOu can start the game with very little in the way of finished world. Remember, the universe is only as big as what the players can see. Paint a boradbackdrop and keep their attetion focued on the details that are finished.

I have seen many a grand game that never got started becasue the GM spent all his time planning, and none of it gaming. "But it will be great when it's finished!" If that is the case, write a source book. Slap down some broad strokes, get a bit of detail, whomp up a conflict and start playing.

Very good advice. As a writer, this is concept is akin to holy scripture. Stop thinking about how you're going to do it and start doing it!

tesral
05-13-2008, 12:05 AM
Very good advice. As a writer, this is concept is akin to holy scripture. Stop thinking about how you're going to do it and start doing it!

I am a writer, every GM that does their own material is a writer. Melissa Scott said I was a writer and if a pro says it, it must be so. :cool:

Webhead
05-13-2008, 11:54 AM
Very true. I think the reasons why I like to write and why I like to play role playing games are the same. For me, it's all about using your imagination to tell stories. While "book-writing" tends to be a very self-contained practice, RPGs are a collaborative social practice, which fulfills my need for human interaction and spontaneity. You never know what's going to happen next in an RPG.

tesral
05-13-2008, 02:46 PM
Very true. I think the reasons why I like to write and why I like to play role playing games are the same. For me, it's all about using your imagination to tell stories. While "book-writing" tends to be a very self-contained practice, RPGs are a collaborative social practice, which fulfills my need for human interaction and spontaneity. You never know what's going to happen next in an RPG.

And that is one of the chief joys of the form. I do "book writing" as well. I write fiction, I write non fiction, and I write RPG scenarios. Each is different and has it's own challenges. However each is also the same in that you must use the the same tools. Drama is drama. You are not changing the rules of drama when you write, but the RPG writer doesn't write the end of the story, only the setup.

That is why I say the games are conflict based. You the GM create the conflict, the players in the role of their characters deal with the conflict, and game happens. A scenario is a series of conflicts hopefully resolving in a satisfying end.

Rabiki
05-15-2008, 09:03 PM
Chat-based games (of which I've run a few) can be a lot of fun and definately move more quickly than PbP. The problem with chat-based however, is that groups will very rarely survive beyond 3 to 4 sessions

That's good to know...maybe I should stick with play-by-post.

Webhead
05-15-2008, 10:12 PM

Yes...if you're looking for something longer term, your best bet is to avoid chat-based. I've run 3 or 4 different chat-based games with friends of mine over the years and none of them lived very long. We would set up a regular "once-per-week" or "twice-per-month" schedule for us all to be online for a couple hours at a certain mutually acceptable time for the game. Inevitably, after the 2nd or 3rd session, a person or two would not be there and we would find out later that something had come up. The game would invariably snowball from there.

Don't get me wrong, we had a blast playing those games while they lasted. It's their longevity that was the only disappointing element to them.

boulet
05-15-2008, 10:13 PM

I've been told that quite a few PbP have a similar destiny : if some players or, worse, the GM aren't assiduous the game goes through a slow, tedious agony. It sometimes takes a few weeks for the doctors to declare legal death :)

tesral
05-16-2008, 02:41 AM
I've been told that quite a few PbP have a similar destiny : if some players or, worse, the GM aren't assiduous the game goes through a slow, tedious agony. It sometimes takes a few weeks for the doctors to declare legal death :)

Months or years even. PbP is slow as geologic change. Frankly both chat and post are pale replacements for a face to face game. I'm glad to have them, they let me play with people I would normally not get a chance to play with, but it's a pale shadow.

I have been running Star Trek and B-13 in play by post with Jay Hailey for ten years now. With only the two of us it moves with some speed, but not as much as one might like.

What I do like about play by post is I get a chance for some good lyrical writing. The kind of stuff you never come up with on a chat or a live moment. The strength of the form is it lets you create

Webhead
05-16-2008, 08:28 AM
What I do like about play by post is I get a chance for some good lyrical writing. The kind of stuff you never come up with on a chat or a live moment. The strength of the form is it lets you create

Agreed. This is my favorite element of PbP. I'm not nearly as talented at whipping up cool descriptions and witty dialog on the fly in a face-to-face game as I am in PbP. It's the writer in me trying to cut loose.

As Tesral mentioned, neither PbP or chat-based games make a suitable replacement for face-to-face role play. But they do serve their purposes. Mainly to allow folks to play with people they would never meet in person, or to provide an avenue of role play for those who don't otherwise have a group.

Chris House
05-19-2008, 11:39 AM
What genre?
What rules?
How's it going?

Chris House
05-19-2008, 11:44 AM
What genre? , Hard SF
What rules? Traveller mongoose publishers new Traveller
imperial date 1105-097
How's it going?
made character and played last saturday have a scout named Evy and a hmm former Imperial Navy named Mot!
mot hired Evy and her scout vessel Bellfloor to run him to regina from Terra!
and hired all the other state rooms too!

ran into trouble when someo ne brought along a Ancient relic
then an some strange event followed leading the group to travel back five years !

kaibrightwing
05-27-2008, 01:29 AM
Hi my name is kai.
I have been ruuning a macross game using the palladium system since 97 and just stop playing in 06.
I start the game as one of the megaroad colony ship that found a planet and when thought its hardship to become a colony. With plot and stories to keep the players interested for that long.

Snuffy
05-27-2008, 06:58 AM
Hi my name is kai.
I have been ruuning a macross game using the palladium system since 97 and just stop playing in 06.
I start the game as one of the megaroad colony ship that found a planet and when thought its hardship to become a colony. With plot and stories to keep the players interested for that long.
That sounds like a great game. 9 years is an awesome job to keep a game going. I've always liked the Macross series [except what I've seen of Macross 7].

Rabiki
05-27-2008, 08:12 AM
As Tesral mentioned, neither PbP or chat-based games make a suitable replacement for face-to-face role play.

I pretty much live in a cornfield... well not exactly, but not many people around that would play....so that's my interest for web-play.

since 97 and just stop playing in 06
Nine years..... that's impressive.

Rabiki
05-27-2008, 08:16 AM
Can anyone point me to a fairly active Star Wars d20 game?

Inquisitor Tremayne
05-27-2008, 10:23 AM
game happens.

That would make a good bumper sticker!

Inquisitor Tremayne
05-27-2008, 10:26 AM
Can anyone point me to a fairly active Star Wars d20 game?

Online or tabletop?

Online, I would look around these boards and the boards over at WotC.

Tabletop, same as above.

If I had space in my game I would invite you but I don't think you would want to drive all the way here either.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

MortonStromgal
05-27-2008, 04:50 PM

How's it going?

1. Fantasy Cyberpunk (Shadowrun)
2. I am going to try 4e for a second time
3. still in the planing/reading stages, hoping to do some trials this summer using the "missions" and then dig into a meaty campaign this fall.

Inquisitor Tremayne
05-28-2008, 09:44 AM
What genre? Star Wars Infinities (4 years after Episode III)
What rules? Star Wars Saga Edition + house rules
How's it going? Awesome!

kaibrightwing
05-28-2008, 10:51 PM
it was played on table and online but it ran better on tabletop for me.
i like macross7 for the tech and ships.