PDA

View Full Version : The Dresden Files RPG

Spazzle
03-10-2010, 01:07 PM
Its just a few months out now - I'm pretty excited. Anyone else in the Seattle area interested in maybe getting a game together when it arrives?

Cheers ~

Farcaster
03-10-2010, 01:32 PM
I never watched the series, so I don't know much about it. Still, I'd be interested in sitting in on a session. It sounds interesting.

Spazzle
03-10-2010, 01:51 PM
The series was a lot of fun - but in many ways it was very different than the books. (I highly recommend the books!) In a lot of ways, the setting is like the WoD setting, but with Butcher's take on things. I think some familiarity with the books would help (or at least put things in context), but most of the basics could probably come through the source books and a brief online wiki review. (but for flavor, ya gotta read at least one book)

The key to the experience will be finding a GM who likes the setting and can lead folks through the revamped FATE system the game will be using. (this is why I have started the search early - I have a place and two ravid fans, just need to find another player or two and a solid GM!)

I'll keep you posted on the progress and I'm sure a spectator sitting in would be fine. Plus, meeting new fellow gamers is always a bonus. :D

Cheers ~

icky ricardo
--- Merged from Double Post ---
PS - as a quick aside, if anyone is thinking they may be interested in the setting but can't catch The Dresden Files: The Series (they are available on Hulu) - you can also try picking up one or two of the paperbacks (they're inexpensive). If you don't have a lot of spare time to sit down and read, they are available as audio books (download from audible.com/etc) and read by James Marsters (Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer) who does an excellent job bringing the characters to life.

cigamnogard
03-10-2010, 07:48 PM
I really enjoy reading the book series but actually prefer Jim's Codex series more than the Dresden one.
Still, I had no idea they made a RPG. Is it more based on the television series or the books?

jade von delioch
03-10-2010, 09:21 PM
its based on the books. Frag the tv series. they couldn't even get everyones fav. cute button nosed martial art detective right.

Sascha
03-10-2010, 10:46 PM
Eh, different medium. It's not always feasible to fully adapt book-material to television without making concessions, nor is it always even a goal in adapting an existing work. The books are what they are, the show was what it was.

(Also, the game makes me squee~ Can't wait to get my hands on it.)

Spazzle
03-10-2010, 10:56 PM
Aye - I like the series for different reasons than I like the book - they both have their strengths. (though if I absolutely had to choose, I'd go with the novels)

One of the things I really dug about the series is that they made magic feel a lot more subtle than the books - which isn't a bad thing.

And I am very much in squee over the impending release of the RPG.

Webhead
03-10-2010, 11:02 PM
Still, I had no idea they made a RPG. Is it more based on the television series or the books?

The books, straight-up. Jim Butcher actually approached the guys at Evil Hat and asked them if they would do it and has been a regular influence in their design process. This plus Evil Hat's overall excellence in quality, creativity and attention to detail bodes very well for the game. I like that they've constantly stressed that they are "taking their time" with the game to get it right.

I am very much looking forward to this game and hope that I can wrangle some of my players' interests enough to let me run it for them (some have read the books, others haven't).

cigamnogard
03-11-2010, 05:24 PM
Is there a link to a site or anything like that?

Sascha
03-11-2010, 05:38 PM
The Dresden Files (http://www.dresdenfilesrpg.com/), for the game.

cigamnogard
03-11-2010, 08:00 PM
Awesome!
My thanks!

El Tigre
06-15-2010, 01:26 AM
Giving this thread a nudge because the book is technically out in PDF now, if you pre-order it. I snagged it, went through Your Story and skimmed Our World. Anyone else take a look, or have any thoughts?

It's a very lovingly made book, I can tell you that much. Lots of character, written in the perspective of Billy of the Alphas with Dresden and Bob chiming in now and again, usually to humorous effect. The system (FATE) is a pretty assertive and cooperative one, it focuses mostly on roleplay and character elements, which is really cool. About the only problem is that I wish there was a clear and concise chart for Thaumaturgy, which is the most complicated system. There's also a big emphasis on research, though it can be skipped if you like.

Overall it's pretty great, I might try running a game of it.

Spazzle
06-15-2010, 09:29 AM
I skimmed through the pdfs as well, but I only do so/so with digital material for reading. I'm waiting for the hardcopies to arrive in the beginning of July to really dig into it. Looks like a lot of fun for the right folks.

cliff
06-15-2010, 03:21 PM
The production value is incredible. I don't know the Dresdenverse well enough to run a game in it, but if I ever do learn it well, I may give running it a go. For folks who are fans, this game feels like a real hit to me.

SDJThorin
06-15-2010, 04:02 PM
I've got the PDFs too, even had the beta ones for a bit... bought the pre-orders and got the full PDFs a few days ago... I've also got two squeeing players and of course myself!!!!

I agree with Spazzle, I really NEED the hard covers to READ!!!

I like digital media, but I really use it for quick referencing, searches and setups... having both is always a bonus and I wish that every RPG came with a digital copy of this quality when you bought it!!

We 3 are loving the artistic way they did up the book like an old notebook/spellbook too and the dialog on sticky notes fits the books :)

cliff
06-15-2010, 07:32 PM
I actually bought an iPad specifically to allow me to carry my PDF collection to the table. I'll probably end up buying a dedicated eReader as soon as they make one that's 8.5" x 11".

Cormack
07-02-2010, 03:25 AM
Got the PDFs when I pre-ordered, and the hardbacks came in a week or so back. Haven't had much time to sit with them, but the books are great quality. From what I have read (via the PDFs mostly) it looks like quite a nice system (I've never played Fate system before), although will suit groups that are more role-playing than combat (not to say that the combat system is bad, its just not the primary part of the game, which is a good thing :) ). My group are (mostly) interested in having a bash (although we are a more combat-oriented group, so I'll be interested to see how they take to it).
Gonna have a bash at running the game myself, but have a backup-GM who has also read all the books if I struggle :)

Arcteryx
07-05-2010, 09:52 AM
Not a FATE expert but a big Dresden fan, and one of the most interesting and exciting things about the system are the mechanics for players to influence the environment and the story - it really is a story telling system. The Dresden version of FATE really brings it to life.

Metal Soldier
07-07-2010, 05:31 PM
I'm definitely interested in getting the book once I have time to sit down and read it.

Briski
07-08-2010, 06:45 PM
I got the books and I'm pretty excited about what Evil Hat Press has done with Dresden Files. I find it quite a bit rules-heavier than Spirit of the Century (or derivatives like Starblazer Adventures and Legends of Anglerre). Between the higher complexity and the storytelling aspects, my impression is that you need to have a *small* group of players (3 or 4 seems ideal, anything more I'd guess would be pushing it) to make it work. The magic system really does a good job reflecting the flavor of magic in the books. But outside of pre-designed rote spells, the magic system (Evocation and Thaumaturgy) is at the same time both squishy and math-intensive... and requires a creative and flexible GM and willing players to pull it off. Fortunately, not everyone will play a wizard, and even your wizards probably generally won't want to sling spells around on the fly.

Arcteryx
07-09-2010, 12:55 AM
I get that feeling that 3-4 players seem ideal as well; which kind of fits the books. Usually its Harry and Co., vs Harry and His Army. Trying to drum up a group around my parts to get a game going and maybe its just me but its been a bit of a tough sled :)

Webhead
08-04-2010, 12:51 AM
Pre-ordered on Easter and skimmed the PDFs at that time. Got the hard-copy books in on July 7th and was very pleased with the quality and general "heft" of the books. I'm a fan of both the Dresdenverse and the FATE system, so I'm looking forward to getting time to read it in full and take a turn at GMing/playing this game. FATE does come with a slight learning curve and waits for players to reach that "eureka" moment before they can get the most out of it but it is oh-so rewarding once they do. I particularly like the "city/campaign creation" element of DFRPG and how that gets the players (and their PCs) invested in the game before it even begins. Plus, it's a cool way to get players to tell the GM what *they* want to see happen in the campaign which, in turn, gives the GM plot hooks that the players will actually find interesting.

I really just wish there were more hours in the day so that I could squeeze this game into my already-overloaded schedule.

Elguapo72
08-21-2010, 08:57 PM
I wish I was in Seattle!

Elguapo72
09-16-2010, 08:18 PM
Hope you guys get an awesome campaign going!

Webhead
09-17-2010, 11:34 PM
Awesome news on the Dresden Files front: It sounds like my group will be getting into a campaign starting either next session or the one after that! One player has volunteered to run it which means I'll get to see both FATE and Dresden Files from the player's side of the screen! I'm very excited! Not entirely sure what I'm going to play but I've got a concept or two tumbling around. I'll keep everyone posted!

Elguapo72
09-18-2010, 05:57 AM
I'd be willing to drive quite a bit from Arlington Texas for Dresden if you need a player!

SDJThorin
10-20-2010, 12:41 PM
As an update, I've started a Blog on our Group's endeavours with Dresden Files here -- http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/entry.php/1414-Dresden-Files-RPG-Character-Creation

Spazzle
10-25-2010, 12:56 PM
Still having a wee bit of trouble with getting a group going. Was able to get through two sessions (city creation/character creation) before real life halted that experiment. We did have some very interesting concepts though - and probably would have lead to some fun story elements if it got rolling. I did notice that players had a tendency to make aspects that were little more than variations on a theme. I suspect that having 4 aspects that say the same thing in different ways is much less comelling/playable than having 4 aspects that referred to completely different concepts.

"OK, looking at your sheet I see your character has the aspects of: 'Always Late to the Party,' 'A Day Late and a Dollar Short,' 'Not Quite the Nick of Time,' and 'Good Counsel Always Came Too Late.' I'm getting the sense that your character has a punctuality problem. What else can you tell me about him?"
"Uhhh... He likes cheese?"

;-)