PDA

View Full Version : (Considered) Races: The Worst of the Worst

Zugh
03-09-2010, 12:42 PM
Kobolds. Lets face it, there is really not a lot of things good about them. Witha -4 to strength and a -2 to Constitution, they can not possibly be a barbarian, monk, or a very good fighter. Its only option IMO is to be a Sorcerer.

Goblins. Pathetic. Simply pathetic. -2 to Strength and Charisma shorten it's options as a PC's race. It's small size weakens its attacks nd how much it can carry. The Rouge is the smartest choice.

Which is worse? In my mind, the Kobold gets the short end of the stick, being the worse. What do you think?

The Magic King
03-09-2010, 12:49 PM
I think you are starting a campaign with monster race PCs.

d-_-b
03-09-2010, 12:53 PM
Kobolds are pathetic.

The Magic King
03-09-2010, 01:00 PM
pathetic:
causing or evoking pity, sympathetic sadness, sorrow, etc.; pitiful; pitiable: a pathetic letter; a pathetic sight.

They are too unlikable to be pathetic, one feels nothing for them.

Zugh
03-09-2010, 01:17 PM
I think you are starting a campaign with monster race PCs.
Yeah, I am. My PC's wanna be monsters for the Game, but they dont wanna have a ridiculus Level Adjustment or HD. So I figured, Kobolds Suck. Goblins Suck. Lets use them!

Dytrrnikl
03-09-2010, 10:52 PM
Well, for something a bit less pathetic than Goblin or Kobold, moreon par with base Human - Orc, Hobgoblin, and Bullywug.

cigamnogard
03-10-2010, 07:31 PM
Kobolds are one of the most powerful races you can be. I would be a kobold any day in any campaign.
30' movement for a small character - fantastic with a few monk and/or barbarian levels you move 40+' = tough to beat
There is an important feat that you have to take @ 1st level = dragonwrought. Now age your character to be old - very old and suffer no penalties!

russdm
03-10-2010, 07:35 PM
I would say that monsters like Orcs, Goblins, Hobgoblins, Kobolds, are all playable. They might not have as impressive stuff like the core races, but they are a pretty good thing to go with though.

I happen to like Kobolds and Orcs alot. I think Kobolds get a bad reputation from all the lying and conspiratoral gnomes who are unhappy they are a bunch of woozies.

I like orcs, but thats mainly because of Warcraft games.

cigamnogard
03-10-2010, 07:39 PM
I like orcs
Have never played one. Hobgoblin - yes, but never an orc or even a half orc for that matter.
Kobolds - I very much want to play one.
Too bad I am the DM/GM

rabkala
03-10-2010, 08:37 PM
I love kobolds! Don't forget Races of the Dragon for goodness. They have incredible potential for RP as well.

I love playing monstrous characters!!!

Kenku, Mongrelfolk, changeling, poison dusk lizard folk, minotaur, Saurial, have also played well for me.

TheYeti1775
03-11-2010, 10:49 AM
Kobolds gave us Pun Pun. :D

tesral
03-12-2010, 08:53 AM
Them's good eatin'.

cigamnogard
03-12-2010, 03:14 PM
So is human - but that's called cannibalism boys and girls.

The Magic King
03-13-2010, 01:55 PM
So is human - but that's called cannibalism boys and girls.

I find the stigma that choice of meals brings rather funny. Humans are animals just like any other, yet they wouldn't deign to admit it. As a side note all peoples are descended from cannibals, invariably, it is a survival tactic, and survivors pass on their genes.

rabkala
03-13-2010, 09:04 PM
Human tastes like sweet pork! Try it you'll like it!

The Magic King
03-15-2010, 12:29 PM
Actually I am allergic to swine. When I tried it I disliked it, right before I threw up everywhere and got hives.

Cubanfrog
03-21-2010, 11:30 AM
Kobolds. Lets face it, there is really not a lot of things good about them. Witha -4 to strength and a -2 to Constitution, they can not possibly be a barbarian, monk, or a very good fighter. Its only option IMO is to be a Sorcerer.

That's wrong! I once made a kobold barbarian, and in two days, that little bastard had killed over 100 enemies! Sadly, he died to a adult white dragon (He was alone, 8th level char and if he would had had one turn more, he would have won!)

I personally like kobolds much, who cares they have -4 to str and -2 to con? They kobolds! Noble, small but fierce dragon warriors!

Worst race in D&D 3.5 is half-elf. No exeptions.

tesral
03-21-2010, 11:35 AM
On a serious note, Kender. I would take a party of Kobolds over one Kender. Worst race ever devised coming and going. No one plays them decently, all the disadvantages of haflings, no advantages that do them or the party any favors.

We need more Kender Jerky.

russdm
03-22-2010, 06:46 PM
I liked Tasselhoff. I think most players play kenders mainly for laughs and really made them annoying instead of entertaining.

tesral
03-22-2010, 09:24 PM
The exception that proves the rule. The book character, like Drizzle, is not an issue. It is everyone that thinks they are that amusing and forgets that Tasselhoff has a serious side, and role, as well.

Kender are played as One Note Johnnys. A lint trap for everything not nailed down and a fearless blow the party up machine. This is funny for half an hour tops, per campaign.

Show me a Kender played like they were a real person, I'll change my opinion.

rabkala
03-22-2010, 10:06 PM
The power of christ compels you!!!!!
In My last Wendsday group, The three female party members insisted on playing Kender! I wanted to torture and kill them immediately. One girl, Cassie ( who was so Kender-like in real life), actually had me feeling it. She was a cute cletpomaniac in real life and one in character. I wasn't sure where the character stopped and the person began. :confused:

tesral
03-22-2010, 10:11 PM
The power of christ compels you!!!!!
In My last Wendsday group, The three female party members insisted on playing Kender! I wanted to torture and kill them immediately. One girl, Cassie ( who was so Kender-like in real life), actually had me feeling it. She was a cute cletpomaniac in real life and one in character. I wasn't sure where the character stopped and the person began. :confused:[

Most men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Psychic tagline. It sounds like quiet desperation to me.

rabkala
03-22-2010, 10:14 PM
Perhaps greybeard...

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-22-2010, 10:19 PM
I like kobolds, always have. They just need to be used... sparringly.

Wikrin
03-22-2010, 11:44 PM
Aw, I love kobolds. Sure, their stats aren't great, but you pick 'em for the flavor of it. Not to mention their speed, natural armor bonus, darkvision, etc. Some people might overlook them, brand them as sword fodder, but I never will. Could be 'cause I'm partial to reptile folks, though. Big fan of all sorts of lizardfolk as well. Stupid mammals, with their... lactation...? I don't know.

Goblins, I am less fond of. Don't know why. Possibly because they are mammalian. Also never much cared for the orcs, hobgoblins, bugbears, etc. Gnolls are cool in theory, but not on the top of the list for things I'd play. Have a tendency to want to play things they don't give the rules for. Like, a Lantern Archon Sorcerer that has to use spells and his familiar to manipulate things. "There's a switch there. I know that if I hit it, I can save the group from this crushing wall trap. Uh..." Whee!

tesral
03-23-2010, 12:32 AM
I like kobolds, always have. They just need to be used... sparringly.

In bucket loads. Kobolds are the way I locked one party out of the dungeon. they walked away. I've seen tough fights, I've seen TPK, but it is the only time I have seen a party back out and give up.

The big mistake was coming in contact with the little buggers and then backing off for the night. The party slept,the Kobolds worked like hell. In the morning the front of the dungeon was Trap Land. "Why is the floor sticky?" Then the lit torch came flying over the baracade into the lamp oil coating the floor. It got worse from there.

day three they found the way in filled with rubble. They walked away.

Aw, I love kobolds. Sure, their stats aren't great, but you pick 'em for the flavor of it. Not to mention their speed, natural armor bonus, darkvision, etc. Some people might overlook them, brand them as sword fodder, but I never will. Could be 'cause I'm partial to reptile folks, though. Big fan of all sorts of lizardfolk as well. Stupid mammals, with their... lactation...? I don't know.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-23-2010, 01:05 AM
Actually I am allergic to swine. When I tried it I disliked it, right before I threw up everywhere and got hives.

Didn't know one could be allergic to swine. Ah, well, you'll live longer not eating them. I don't eat them either.

In bucket loads. Kobolds are the way I locked one party out of the dungeon. they walked away. I've seen tough fights, I've seen TPK, but it is the only time I have seen a party back out and give up.

The big mistake was coming in contact with the little buggers and then backing off for the night. The party slept,the Kobolds worked like hell. In the morning the front of the dungeon was Trap Land. "Why is the floor sticky?" Then the lit torch came flying over the baracade into the lamp oil coating the floor. It got worse from there.

day three they found the way in filled with rubble. They walked away.

I remember an article found in an old Dragon magazine that talked about the special forces of Kobolds. The point of the article was on how you played them as a DM. If played right, they can bring plenty of fun and risk to your adventuring party.

In the next 5 years, DnD5th will be playing with this medium, anyway: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-BTwHAEECs

Being old school, i will always prefer pencil and paper. When the Gods finally take The Phoenix and the Arch Lich, i recon that we will be playing at the same table on a weekly basis in our own respective heavens.

Soft Serve
03-23-2010, 01:29 PM
I love kobolds! Don't forget Races of the Dragon for goodness. They have incredible potential for RP as well.

I love playing monstrous characters!!!

Kenku, Mongrelfolk, changeling, poison dusk lizard folk, minotaur, Saurial, have also played well for me.

Didn't know one could be allergic to swine. Ah, well, you'll live longer not eating them. I don't eat them either.

I remember an article found in an old Dragon magazine that talked about the special forces of Kobolds. The point of the article was on how you played them as a DM. If played right, they can bring plenty of fun and risk to your adventuring party.

In the next 5 years, DnD5th will be playing with this medium, anyway: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-BTwHAEECs

Being old school, i will always prefer pencil and paper. When the Gods finally take The Phoenix and the Arch Lich, i recon that we will be playing at the same table on a weekly basis in our own respective heavens.

Think you could wait a few decades for the demonspawn hamster? I dont' want to have to make a 50+level character to catch up with you guys...

The idea of a virtual tabletop kinda scares me. Those virtual dice looked evil...

russdm
03-23-2010, 10:20 PM
I like kobolds. I think that half-elves are really bad mainly due to their mechanics. I think that not all monster races can be considered equal. The monsters with higher la work less as being characters.

I think that most monster races get alot of bad rep. Orcs are pretty cool actually, Drow are misunderstood (Not really, this is sarcasm). I think the Drizzt fanbois ruined Drizzt for me. They made him sorta of wimpy really. He was an unique interesting character, then suddenly everyone wanted to play some clone of Drizzt. Don't see the appeal to that, especially making the clone ten times more emo than Drizzt was.

As for anything Arch Lich Thoth-Amon says, I still thought you owed Tiamat or was it Lolth or was it Moradin some money from that poker game?

tesral
03-24-2010, 12:46 AM
He never knows when to cut his losses. I won't play with Tiamat, with all those heads she is always trying to cheat.

Any race is really what you make of them. I never depended on the canon sources. Indeed I think you will find my Elves different from anything D&D has presented. Likewise I made each race into something that works in my game.

Soft Serve
03-24-2010, 11:48 AM
I like kobolds. I think that half-elves are really bad mainly due to their mechanics. I think that not all monster races can be considered equal. The monsters with higher la work less as being characters.

I think that most monster races get alot of bad rep. Orcs are pretty cool actually, Drow are misunderstood (Not really, this is sarcasm). I think the Drizzt fanbois ruined Drizzt for me. They made him sorta of wimpy really. He was an unique interesting character, then suddenly everyone wanted to play some clone of Drizzt. Don't see the appeal to that, especially making the clone ten times more emo than Drizzt was.

As for anything Arch Lich Thoth-Amon says, I still thought you owed Tiamat or was it Lolth or was it Moradin some money from that poker game?

Having absolutely 0 players in my group who know who Drizzt is makes the Drow Paladin my girlfriend plays so much more awesome.

cigamnogard
03-24-2010, 06:09 PM
A Tasslehoof and Drizzle...the former from a book series I cannot stand and the latter from a book series I will never read. If you are looking for different elves I strongly recommend Steven Brust's elves.
Eberron goblins are mostly a slave race except in two different nations where they are controlled by thier own kind and still pretty much enslaved. Also, half - elves, in Eberron have some really cool dragonmarks and are well thought of.

tesral
03-24-2010, 06:53 PM
I'll give Burst credit for doing something different. I did something yet different again.

Soft Serve
03-25-2010, 07:46 AM
Burst credit?

tesral
03-25-2010, 10:31 AM
Burst credit?

Yep, missspelled it.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-25-2010, 10:57 AM
I never liked that dragon kin, or whatever you call them. They're humanoid with dragon characteristics. Came out in 3.5, i believe, but, to each their own.

Soft Serve
03-25-2010, 01:32 PM
I like the Half-Dragon template. Not for playing, but I can see where people would.

kamikaze616
03-25-2010, 02:12 PM
Goblins were actually decent rogues in 3e. They got darkvision and a better movement rate than halflings, to whom they are comparable.

Many of the monsters in Savage Species were unplayable. To balance the powerful abilities of some monsters, you pretty much gave up levels. To be in a level 14 party with a monster race you'd have like 8HD, terrible. It was just a bad approach to playing a monster race, that's one thing where 4th edition improved.

cigamnogard
03-25-2010, 06:37 PM
one thing where 4th edition improved.
Are you now able to play monster races in 4.e?

russdm
03-31-2010, 10:07 PM
Yes, you can play monsters in 4E. There is a section in very back of the monster manual giving details to make characters from some of the monsters in the book. You can be a number of monsters but not more.

Unless WOTC adds more monsters that is to use. I don't have Monster Manual 2 so i dont know what monsters are available for play in that one.

Sascha
03-31-2010, 11:15 PM
Unless WOTC adds more monsters that is to use. I don't have Monster Manual 2 so i dont know what monsters are available for play in that one.
Kenku, bullywug and duergar, accoriding to the Character Builder.

tesral
04-01-2010, 12:57 AM
I use Kenku, but not the D&Dized version. Significant changes from the book or the myth.

Soft Serve
04-01-2010, 03:13 AM
Kenku aren't original D&D critters?

ak47
04-01-2010, 09:49 AM
I like the Half-Dragon template. Not for playing, but I can see where people would.
half-dragons can have great power as a char both in combat, spells and rp in the right hands of course. if some one wants to be a half-dragon and says why is i want to shoot fire out of my mouth then no prob not a good playing char. but like me i like to play half-dragons rp potential is great think of a background of such char that a dm can use if done right. family heritage line, family honor (good of some kind of course) struggle between rival families power struggles. dragon heritage is accent and long lived in much drama and history. plenty for a dm to use in campaign for rp part.
for combat half-dragons do tend to magic but not unheard of non magic these also can have the potential as in aid a allies and hinder allies as u can imagine as a con a large char cant fit in a small cave as there core counterparts. so makes the party have to rethink a battle plan or make the char think of other ways to get to point x by him self wail his party member move on.
so in conclusion.
a half-dragon char has many + and - same time on all aspects of the game that a dm can have plenty of fun with and for 2nd even as it being cool and appealing it is not for a novice player to start out with as same as any monster race of course.
i welcome any comments on this in your opionen in this statement all i ask is keep it civil.
ty

tesral
04-01-2010, 10:34 AM
Kenku aren't original D&D critters?

No. Japanese mythology. I refer you to Tengu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tengu). Which are nearly the same beast with a slightly different name. Anthro hawk demons.

In Thindacarulle they were much as described in the AD&D Oriental Adventures, speechless until the Phoenix Eecreeana gave them speech. They serve him as messengers and gofers.

Two have appeared in my game. The first was a monster. A pinioned Kenku who was living among goblins. The party captured the beast and eventually made friends with it. They even helped him restore his honor and atone for the crime that had caused him to be pinioned in the first place. He remains their loyal servant.

The Second Hiru, was the Clerc of the Minor Magistrate Heru. Heru was a PC. Hiru was generally useful, sometimes a problem. A servant that was prompt in delivering messages, but sometimes late getting back. He had a weakness for drink that several times was his downfall. He was just enough of an asset they never got rid of him. I used his vices a couple of times as the hook for an adventure, never the same thing twice of course. His fragile nature got him killed twice. As a result he was much shier about accompanying the PCs into dangerous places. He served as back up magic.

ak47
04-01-2010, 10:49 AM
No. Japanese mythology.
mm3
page 86

tesral
04-01-2010, 11:04 AM
They are in D&D but that is not the origin. No more than Kobolds (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobold)are from D&D. The origin is a Germanic sprite that came in three kinds. It wasn't the least lizardy, or had anything to do with dragons.

D&D is well known for lifting mythology wholesale and reshaping it drastically.

ak47
04-01-2010, 11:11 AM
They are in D&D but that is not the origin. No more than Kobolds (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobold)are from D&D. The origin is a Germanic sprite that came in three kinds. It wasn't the least lizardy, or had anything to do with dragons.

D&D is well known for lifting mythology wholesale and reshaping it drastically.
ah k sorry missed that post before that one saying u didn't use dnd vrs but myth sorry my bad