PDA

View Full Version : Fighter or Barbarian?

The Magic King
03-09-2010, 10:29 AM
Which does this community prefer? I personally prefer the fighter for feats and better armor, plus I have always enjoyed reading in real life.

d-_-b
03-09-2010, 12:51 PM
I prefer the Barbarian with 2 lvls fighter for feats. They feel better to me and they have more skill points. I do try to avoid the stereotypical stupid barbarian, though.

Zugh
03-09-2010, 01:20 PM
I agree with d- -b on this one. Two levels of fighter for the bonus feats, but thats the only reason to pick a fighter. Barbarians have outrageously awesome fighting abilities (Fast Movement, Rage, ect.). I would pick the Barbarian.

Dark Cloaked Figure
03-09-2010, 02:45 PM
So far, I haven't seen any redeeming qualities for the Barbarian. Fighters get better armor and bonus feats and can fight practically all day, while Barbarians are more or less useless once their Rage wears out.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-09-2010, 03:14 PM
Barbarians, from the classic old edition.

d-_-b
03-09-2010, 04:05 PM
@Dark Cloaked Figure: The trick with the barbarian is not to rage all the time. A great barbarian does need better stats than a great Fighter, and yes, he does generally have worse AC than his full plate cousin, so to survive as a barbarian you need to think strategically far more than if you were a fighter because you cannot just stand firm until your opponent is dead -of course if a fighter keeps this up for too long he too will die.

Also as a barbarian you really need to dress for the occasion far more than a fighter does. A barbarian should pack a two handed weapon, a single handed weapon and a heavy shield. Furthermore a barbarian might want to rely more on special attack such as charging, grappling, tripping and bull rushing. As you thus often make only a single attack in a round you should hope to score criticals. IMO a falchion, a heavy shield and a scimitar is the way to go.

cigamnogard
03-09-2010, 04:34 PM
IMO a falchion, a heavy shield and a scimitar is the way to go.
Agreed - also, the skill points allow for better roll playing non combat scenarios as well.

The Magic King
03-11-2010, 11:33 AM
Agreed - also, the skill points allow for better roll playing non combat scenarios as well.

Incorrect, actually it allows for successes in roll-playing, a PC could role-play their character to be very bad at social interactions.

If you really want to use skills be a rogue.

cigamnogard
03-11-2010, 05:22 PM
Was not a choice - we are talking between fighter and barbarian.

d-_-b
03-11-2010, 05:33 PM
Incorrect, actually it allows for successes in roll-playing, a PC could role-play their character to be very bad at social interactions.

surely you are not suggesting that every class but rogue be reduced to its fighting potential...?

Crom on his Mountain
03-13-2010, 09:23 AM
A well built fighter kicks a well built barbarian's butt. Even rage is weak compared to weapon specialization, the barbarian can only rage a few times and it's of limited duration but most fighters always use their best weapon anyways. The only case where a barbarian is better than a fighter is for making grapplers.

The Magic King
03-13-2010, 01:19 PM
I was merely stating that one need not have well placed skills to role play. One could be very bad at negotiations and still wish to attempt them.

I mentioned the rogue because if you want to succeed on every check then rogue is the choice for you.

cigamnogard
03-15-2010, 07:18 PM
A well built fighter kicks a well built barbarian's butt. Even rage is weak compared to weapon specialization, the barbarian can only rage a few times and it's of limited duration but most fighters always use their best weapon anyways. The only case where a barbarian is better than a fighter is for making grapplers.
Might want to rethink your "name" - Crom seems so out of place now - no?

cplmac
03-15-2010, 07:37 PM
Might want to rethink your "name" - Crom seems so out of place now - no?

Not if that is the name of a mountain dwarf.

cigamnogard
03-15-2010, 07:40 PM
Lol!
Somehow, I think it is more Hyborian in nature ;)