PDA

View Full Version : estimation of average rounds for combat

yukonhorror
03-08-2010, 03:02 PM
So I did some really generic number analysis, and I have found that an encounter of the same level as the party members should take on average 5.5.

That's right, 5 and a half rounds. The error on this might be up to 2 rounds.

NOW. If you use just monster manual monsters (and not MM2 or beyond), then it takes longer. They realized it was taking much longer to get through combat at higher levels. Heroic tier is about 4.7, paragon is about 7.1, and epic is about 9.1.

Take what you will from this, but if you have both the MM and the MM2, I would look at creatures of the same level and role and compare the defenses to see if the numbers make sense, and alter as necessary if you wish to have shorter encounters. As a generic rule of thumb, the best thing to do is multiply the total hp by 75%.

Enjoy the fruits of my boredom.

Riftwalker
03-08-2010, 03:45 PM
Mind showing how you arrived at your conclusions? For instance, in a party of 5, do you assume two strikers?

yukonhorror
03-08-2010, 04:06 PM
I'll give some assumptions but not all(too many to count)

party of 5 vs. 5 badguys
Invoker(controller,leader) adj to a wizard (artillery) attacks controller/leader adj to an artillery

an avenger (skirmisher) flanking a skirmisher with a paladin (soldier)

soldier flanking paladin with skirmisher (soldier is marked by paladin and vice-versa)

barbarian (brute) adj, but not flanking, to soldier, and is attacking a brute (not flanking, but adj to barbarian).

all had 16/16/13/11/10/8 score spread, race to enhance the two 16's, and assumed weapon expertise, weapon focus (or impliment if using impliment), and defensive feats (like iron will).

Those are the big ones. Also used standard statistics to determine how much dam to deal each rd:

if need an 11 to hit and roll 1d8+4 for dam, the dam for that attack would be 4.25 (50% of hitting, average of 8.5 pts of dam on a hit). Also added in the possibility of critical hits, but not included here.