PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerer VS Wizard: Which do you prefer?

Zugh
03-07-2010, 03:25 PM
Me and my friends like to play D&D 3.5, and usually I'm the DM. But, when I do play, i like to be either a fighter, rouge, or sorcerer. But thats not the question. Which do you, the players, prefer; The sorcerer or the wizard? I made up a pro list for each, so tell me which one you prefer.

Sorcerer:
-More spells per day
-No need to prepare spells
-More weapon proficiancy

In my mind, the Sorcerer is better. If you run out of Spells, then you can use a decent veriaty of weapons. The Sorcerer also gets more spells per day, and can use spells at will.

Wizard:
-More veriaty of spells
-More meta-magic feats
-More bonus feats

Dont get me wrond, I respect the Wizard. With all the feats it can get, you can customize a Wizard. It also gets more spells then a Sorcerer, which may help your team later on.

So, whats your opinion? Is it the Sorcerer? Or the Wizard?

Malruhn
03-07-2010, 03:53 PM
For me, it totally depends upon the campaign and my mood. I've gone from thinking that the Sorcerer was the bee's knees to thinking that the wizard was the bomb... in a matter of hours.

I guess that means that I'm bimagical... I likes BOTH sides of the fence.

Webhead
03-07-2010, 04:00 PM
Wizard for me. I like versatility in my characters and Wizards are generally more versatile thanks to a broader spell selection on any given day.

To me, a Sorcerer feels more like a "magic cannon" (meaning he does a few different things over and over again). It's never really inspired me.

Plus I like being able to craft magic items (even though I have some personal issues with the way 3.X treats magic item creation...that's a whole other can of worms) and the bonus feats from Wizard really make that a more worthwhile investment.

Sascha
03-07-2010, 04:28 PM
Sorcerer. It's either spontaneous caster or no caster, for me. I dislike the fire-and-forget system, anyway, but having to prepare spells is beyond tedious.

The rest of the differences, meh. Compared to spell preparation, they're non-issues, heh. (I've never really seen why a lot of the feat choices were, well, feats in the first place, but that's a picking of general 3E-family system nits.)

outrider
03-07-2010, 10:23 PM
wizard for me, I like the variety and I dont mind fire and forget, thats what scrolls are there for.

The Magic King
03-08-2010, 10:06 AM
Sorcerers are trash.

WhiteTiger
03-08-2010, 02:41 PM
I've always preferred the "throw what you know" mentality. I love the new Sorcerer from Pathfinder. It feels more fleshed out and not so bland. It's still not as universally useful as the wizard but I can't stand spell books. :flame:

rabkala
03-08-2010, 10:00 PM
I would prefer to be universally useful and ultimately more powerful as a wizard. They have made strides to improve the sorc, but I still prefer the wizard.

I notice that my younger players seem to prefer sorcerers. Since we really never played with sorcerers for the first twenty some years of playing D&D, they just aren't on my radar. My games have also always had house rules for re-memorizing spells and using spellbooks on the fly which made it easier on wizards.

brutology
03-08-2010, 10:43 PM
wizard for me i like to be versatile. if your dm lets you use the reserve feats they are nice IMO.

Xanatheus
03-09-2010, 04:14 AM
Wizards.

Alacritous Cogitation and Collegiate Wizard are almost mandatory to take at first level if you're human.

nijineko
03-15-2010, 03:16 PM
as a player, having to guess what i might need to use for the whole day up front kinda irritates me. having to spend fairly significant resources just to have a broad selection of spells available irks me as well... especially if it is a one-shot or non-renewable resource item.

as such, i usually play psionics, since they have the least restrictive system available. following that i play spontaneous casters, followed by memorized casters last. which is basically in the order of least irksome to most irksome.

what i really want to play is a power point based beholder mage, without having to be a beholder. knows whatever i might need and can cast in any combination desired up to the limit of personal power for the day. i'll deal with the spell slots if i have to, just so long as i can have the core ability of the beholder mage, again, without having to be a beholder.

in answer to the question of which caster type, i say neither! psionics is less restrictive according to my taste. but when i have to pick a caster, i usually pick spontaneous over memorized unless there are some specific reasons that i need a specific class for the build.

d-_-b
03-15-2010, 05:33 PM
I prefer sorcerers. I like spontaneous spell casting:)

rabkala
03-15-2010, 09:58 PM
I like the flavor of psionics, it still feels like it is not truly part of the game. The system is foreign and not a seamless fit. If the game is geared for psionics, why not...
I still prefer WIZARD!

tesral
03-16-2010, 12:10 PM
I ditch fire and forget. Wizards have the broad range of spells and cast spontaneously. Sorcerers are moot.

wbrandel
03-17-2010, 12:42 PM
I have always preferred wizards over sorcerers. Part of that is due to the fact when I started playing it was the red box version and I went from there to advanced, then in the early to mid 90's I stopped playing and knew nothing of the sorcerer class until I picked up 3.5. The main thing that has always bothered me about sorcerers is they used the wizard spell list when they should have had their own list. By using the wizard spell list but without the versatility, it always made them feel like inferior or lower class wizards to me.

WhiteTiger
03-18-2010, 11:23 AM
I prefer less spell lists.. not more. a couple for divine.. a couple for arcane and 1 for hybrid types (bard)... beyond that... it gets too picky and messy. I prefer to control the caster types by spell levels and not try to control them by coming up with a new list.

HaeshkaManju
09-14-2010, 10:02 AM
Personal Choice --
Transmutation Wizard -- with neither Evocation nor illusion.

Reason? -- Because it requires more thinking. I enjoy scheming my way out of problems. On a regular basis I will select seemingly random and almost useless spells -- and I will try my utmost to come up with a bizarre use for them every time.

Also, I have noticed that it is FAR easier to beef up party members and make them overly tough -- than it is to actually deal direct damage with spells to monsters.

There are usually several potential points of failure when using glass cannon (*cough sorcerors *cough*) as the approach for problem solving. Also, in my opinion, it is quite boring.

This is one example (though, not a particular creative one).

two of our party members were stuck in another room fighting three vampires.

Myself and our party's Dwarf Fighter/Rogue were squared off against Strahd. (mini-campaign in Castle Ravenloft.)

I know I can't beat Strahd's touch AC (TERRIBLE stats on my part)... and I know right now that Strahd can do all sorts of wicked things to us if he gets within close combat range.

So, just prior to the fight -- I pulled out my rods of metamagic extend, lesser... (I had two)
Spells used were
Enlarge Person
Girallon's Blessing
Fuse Arms
Cat's Grace
and then finally at the last moment - Haste.

This gave my awesome Dwarf buddy a size increase - resulting in reach for his spiked chain weapon (15 feet!), six arms which were fused back to two for a radical strength bonus, and a DEX bonus to compensate for his recently lost AC from size increase, and then the haste was just icing.

Round 1 -- Strahd "dies."
Round 2 -- Transmuter tosses a potion of expeditious retreat to the dwarf who quafs it and starts running
Rounds 3 - 12 -- Party spends running to Strahd's coffin.
Round 14 - Strahd really dies.

It was beautiful -- seemed wasteful at the time, but, it worked beautifully.

DMMike
09-15-2010, 04:10 PM
Wizards.

Alacritous Cogitation and Collegiate Wizard are almost mandatory to take at first level if you're human.

Xan, please. This is a family forum. Watch the language. :)

Running out of spells shouldn't ever be a problem, for either class. One word: scrolls.

That said, Wizards should ALWAYS specialize, giving them one extra spell per day per spell level.

So my preference: depends on my character concept. If I want to someday unlock my draconic ancestry, I'll go sorceror. If I want to research Meteo, and finally destroy Golbez, I'll go Evoker (Spec. Wizard).

Soft Serve
10-11-2010, 09:55 AM
Sorcerer. If only because I love having high charisma.

muffinstien
11-11-2010, 07:39 PM
Wizards. The wiz has metamagic and a much wider spell list than the Sorceror. I enjoy the variety, even if it means having to plan ahead. I ran a gnome illusionist for a campaign that simply delighted in summoning up major illusions and creating as much chaos as possible, which quicken and enlarge spell really helped to make convincing with ghost sounds and the like.

Not only that but the Wiz lets you specialize to something new each day. Stock stealth spells while sneaking around, then turn around and pile up the destructive force you need for whatever's next.

Hakze
01-04-2011, 03:47 PM
I Like the Ultimate magus best.

rabkala
01-05-2011, 07:29 PM
Cheat! The Ultimate Magus is a prestige class that requires levels of wizard and sorc. You avoid the question, because wizard 20 is so far superior to any multi-classed prestige build 20 there is. Just based on spell progression and top level spell...

Hakze
01-06-2011, 11:24 AM
Ok, I cheated a bit yeah. That is mostly because I like both (and am a big fan of the ultimate magus, hehe).

It depends on what prc I am planning. I also do not agree with the 20 wiz being far better then any multi/prc build. There are so many prc's and feats that there are so many combo's and tricks that complement each other..... Since we seldom reach lvl 15 or higher with our campains and partys I often prefer nice combo's and great synergy above a pure wiz. Also from a power point of view (dps wise), mostly for rp-fun.

As an example: an Arcane hierophant (wiz-druid) I played blew my mind. I don't see a pure wiz doing that any more. Also the Ultimate Magus. A sorc-wiz-10 Ultimate Magus-5 Archmage 20th lvl char can beat a 20 wiz in a duel purely because of synergy and combo's if you ask me.