PDA

View Full Version : What was your first time playing role playing games like?

Dixon_West
03-03-2010, 08:08 AM
So? What was your first experience with Dungeons and Dragons or another role playing system? Mine, was like 20 people huddled around a four person table, and it was magically social. spilling soda, loud. It was awesome.

outrider
03-03-2010, 02:24 PM
Mine was at a college in 1975, it was just me and the dm. His name was Dan and he ran a version of original d&d named Warlock. We only played a couple of more times then he graduated. My first dming was at a guys house that I had met through a gaming magazine.

Neither were spectacular but it was enough to get me excited about rpgs.

Freejack
03-03-2010, 05:04 PM
From my page:

I started gaming long long ago with family games like Battleship, Risk, Chess, Rack-O, and Pinochle. Then Dad brought home Avalon Hill's Outdoor Survival which was pretty cool. I got further into war games and got Richthofen's War which is one of my favorite wargames. Wooden Ships & Iron Men is another of my favorites. Other war games I got in to were Luftwaffe, Blitzkreig, and Kreigspiel.

About that time I joined the military. I went to the local military recreation center and played a few games of cards and even went to a war gaming convention where I did pretty well with Richthofen's War.

As it happens, one evening after finishing a game of double pack pinochle, I wandered over to another table where a group of folks were gathered around a map. Specifically I remember little periods in front of line drawings of city streets. At one end of the table was a thin yellow cardboard screen. Two the right of the screen, the guy had a large briefcase opened and on end. When I started to see what he had, he chased me away I didn't know it then but I suspect it was the original City State adventure.

After several games, I went out and bought the new D&D boxed set. Blue book, Dungeon Geomorphs, and the Monster and Treasure tables. I created some dungeons using the geomorphs and populated them with the monsters and treasures from the tables.

More here :) (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/member.php?u=2965)

Carl

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-03-2010, 05:22 PM
Hm, around 1974-75: Played from sunup to sundown. It was awesomely awesome in its awesomeness. We didn't want to quit. Been playing ever since.

DariusReynold
03-03-2010, 07:12 PM
I remember my first time.......A friend of mine was telling me about a cool game she was playing with another friend of mine. She described all the awesome things she could do in the game, and I, being a little kid at the time, thought she was talking about a video or board game. Later that day, I went over to that friends house. They handed me a char sheet, and I thought it was their homework! They helped me make a Necromancer [I was really into Diablo 2 at the time] and I played my first DnD session ever!

Zugh
03-03-2010, 07:16 PM
I remember my first time... the game was ruined because the whole time everyone made Glenn Beck jokes for three hours.

Webhead
03-03-2010, 08:25 PM
I've posted the story in greater depth elsewhere on the boards but mine was around '95 when a high school friend that I met because we both played Magic: The Gathering asked me if I had ever played a strange game called Dungeons & Dragons. He GMed a few no-rules, solo sessions for me (most of which ended horribly for my character) and I was hooked. With still no knowledge of the rules (and only a very loose notion of those "funky" dice that I saw other people tossing around) I began trying to run adventures for my brother and his friends. When I discovered that there was a Star Wars role playing game, I ran a no-rules Star Wars campaign for a friend over the phone during the summer months while I waited for my pre-ordered Star Wars RPG rulebook to be released. Best summer ever!

The Magic King
03-04-2010, 05:37 AM
I was nine if I remember correctly. Anyway, It was RIFTS and my oldest brother was GM. My other brother and my youngest sister were also playing. I was a bounty hunter and killed my target who unfortunately was only wanted alive. Then I tried to make up for the loss by selling his equipment, unfortunately I asked his friends to buy it. They shot me out a window with a grenade launcher. During the time this was all occurring my sister had stolen my sweet hover bike and proceeded to crash it in the desert at 90 miles per hour. Not the smoothest first experience, but it was really fun.
I almost forgot that the first thing that happened was actually wannabe juicers trying to cut off my cybernetics with a chainsaw. My brother is a terrible person. but it was pretty fun...

TheYeti1775
03-04-2010, 10:23 AM
Sleepover at friends, they pulled it out.
I made a character under their direction.
Found myself in the Village of Homlett and so began my RPG'er days.

Sascha
03-04-2010, 10:58 AM
I'm not sure I remember my first time. I don't think it's all that different from what it is today, 'cept that I'm much more efficient at timing jokes :P

Banshee
03-05-2010, 10:35 AM
Believe it or not, every time I sit down to play, I think back to the first time I played.

Back in 1982, at Boy Scout camp, one kid had that red box edition of D&D and he asked if anyone wanted to play. It was late and cold outside, so I decided to check it out. We whipped up characters and set out on an adventure that started me on a path towards being a D&D nerd (a term I mean in a complimentary sense- like a badge of honor) for the rest of my life. Sounds corny, I know, but it's true!

cplmac
03-05-2010, 12:28 PM
Was in 1991 while in the Persian Gulf War. Wasn't much to do when your unit had a little bit of down time after the conclusion of the ground war, so I figured that I would check it out. Definately glad that I did. The thrill of trying to complete a quest and overcome the various obsticals and creatures was a rush. Have been gaming ever since.

Malruhn
03-05-2010, 05:30 PM
Mine was a whole lot like the first time I had sex.

I had heard about this amazing thing from a good friend.
I sat down with some people that I felt an affinity towards, but hadn't really met yet.
We got going with some light banter.

Suddenly it was... WTF???
Then... OMFG!!! WOW!! NUNGA-YEEHAH, ZOOP-ZOOP NABISCO!!!!!!
and finally, WHERE DID THE NIGHT GO AND WHEN CAN I DO THIS AGAIN?!?!

Well... KINDA like the first time I had sex. There was no real feeling like I might want to shower with the person I was with afterward. BOY that would have been awkward!! :lol: :redface:

* I just had a thought... BOY would my first sexual experience been different had I screamed, "DIE, HELL-SPAWN OF HE WHO WATCHES," as I swung my mace down at her head like during my first D&D experience!! :confused:

Then again... maybe not... :lol:

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-05-2010, 08:05 PM
I'd like to see someone best Malruhn's response. Tough act to follow, no question.

The Magic King
03-06-2010, 12:56 AM
That was wonderful!

mrken
03-06-2010, 12:39 PM
Yeah, no one is going to top that! Was going to tell about my first time, but naw. don't think I want to now. The lingering thoughts Malruhn left was pretty good. Don't want to ruin them. :)

Malruhn
03-07-2010, 01:11 PM
I ran into a Gamer-girl who had the same experience, and alluded that it was like her first time as well...

WTF?
What happened? It's over already??
Will I ever have to do THAT again??
Well, maybe it'll be different with someone else...

mrken
03-07-2010, 05:45 PM
Lol!!!

WhiteTiger
03-08-2010, 09:08 AM
First time: High School
Reaction: Scared but excited...
Now considered the best drug on the planet... (*SNORT* *PUFF*)

ahhhh!!!! :smokin::rockon::painkiller::madgrin::mullet:

Dytrrnikl
03-09-2010, 04:21 AM
I was given the Red Box for DnD for Christmas in 81. However, I didn't consider myself a gamer until 89, when 2E came out. My first night sitting down to play with 5 friends over the span of 5 straight nights of 10 and 11 hour power sessions, I burned through over a dozen characters through a combination of bad rolls, bad choices by me, and not understanding the mechanics. Still remember that week as being some of the best gaming I ever experienced.

...I guess you could say that gaming was exactly like my first time - awkward, mostly clueless, but ultimately unforgettable.

tesral
03-16-2010, 12:25 PM
Like Sex? Confusing, not sure what we where doing, a room full of people. OK, that last one not so much.

Michicon 1976. I was already firmly a war gamer. That is why I was at Michicon, to play Seapower. I never did. I joined a TSR demonstration game in the noisy dealer room. In spite of the confusion and not knowing a thing that was going on, I got hooked and walked out with the three book white box and the Greyhawk supplement, a bunch of dice and a few miniatures.

The rest is history.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-16-2010, 02:17 PM
Must have been an awesome experience for you, tesral. I didn't begin going to Conventions until 1980, or so. Oh, i did go to Conventions, but they were privately held ones with no more than 50 persons attending, but those don't really count. I felt like a kid in a candy store when i attended my first real Convention.

MortonStromgal
03-17-2010, 10:54 PM
My first time gaming... Well it was drab, dull and boring. We didn't know what a roleplaying game was though so we played through the dungeon like it was a boardgame. I think I was 10.

My first time... well lets just say it was way more awkward than D&D.

Both got better with practice and a new partner ;)

tesral
03-17-2010, 11:23 PM
Must have been an awesome experience for you, tesral. I didn't begin going to Conventions until 1980, or so. Oh, i did go to Conventions, but they were privately held ones with no more than 50 persons attending, but those don't really count. I felt like a kid in a candy store when i attended my first real Convention.

I got into Cons early and often. In part a function of the area I live. There are lots of them, We have three major and long running SF cons a year, two of which have been running for over 30 years. About as long as I have been attending them.

Gaming wise it is a bit thin since the ball was dropped on MichiCon. However both GenCon and Origins are within decent driving distance.

cigamnogard
03-26-2010, 06:51 PM
Hmmm...I think over the years I made and remade the same character for D&D but never played that character until in a PbP campaign years later. I kept making the character and never got to play him as the game would fall through.
My first real game was Battletech but the RPG.
Finally, a buddy of mine asked me just before 3.e came out if I wanted to play D&D - I said sure but the game will never happen so I want to play a bad guy or something that he could use if the game never did take place. He said it would and allowed me to play a female hobgoblin. No one else showed up but he solo'd an adventure for me. Not sure exactly what happened but my character whose name is best pronounced by coughing came accross a group of goblins. The goblins were in a circle with their leader in the centre near the fire. The hobgoblin heroine leaped over the short ring of goblins to deliver a critical hit to the goblin leader who died horribly.
The campaign never went anywhere but the DM had an awesome bad guy for his future 2.e games - which we never played as he brought me into an Earthdawn game and shortly after that 3.e came out and I followed.

Arkhemedes
03-26-2010, 10:50 PM
My first few times, we were so absolutely clueless. We didn't know what anything was and we identified all magic items by trying them out (and falling victim to a lot of cursed items). It was great! At one point we walked into a wizard's lab and the DM told us there was a stuffed monkey there. My friend's character was convinced it was a magic item and took it. He walked around with it for days trying to get it to do something! Then we finally cast a Detect Magic spell on it and found out it wasn't magical at all. So, from that point on we had some great laughs making fun of the character.

"WATCH OUT, OR I'LL WHIP OUT MY +3 MONKEY!!"

Keith Witcher
04-14-2010, 02:13 PM
My first time was a disaster. A group from a different forum decided to play over vent using 4e D&D and all that was fine. There were 7 of us and a very unexperienced DM which was fine and all it was just things went bad pretty quickly from day 1 and there were only ever 2 sessions because of that. During the first session we were randomly thrown together adventuring a cave for apparently no reason and being attacked by goblins. As we battled with them most of the party came out fine but I was losing rather badly (The DM forgot to include modifiers for the entire session so it was getting kinda difficult to roll high enough). As I was about to die in the first encounter I ever had I decided that to be a bit funny I declared "I bite him!"

Rolled a 20, critted the thing, and in the DM's words "Tore its freakin head off". After that I was allowed to play a -vampire- character at level 2. I didn't know nor did the DM that vampire template gives you a very large collection of abilities and stat bonuses. The DM never thought of story he focused mostly on combat which was why I quickly overtook all of combat with a +11 to hit and an attack that knocked the enemies level down by 2 each time and he never bothered to bring up the social issues of being a vampire or the issue of daylight posing trouble to me.

While it was kinda fun, the group faded off during the second session because they just didn't feel the need to play anymore because it was just a series of combat encounters which was proving pointless. That's the entire experience, a couple fights, making a vamp character, and doing nothing but combat for both sessions with that DM.

My later experiences were better but that was the first.

yukonhorror
04-14-2010, 02:21 PM
skipped ahead.

All of my "friends" were playing. I was kind of the outcast of the group at the time, so wasn't exactly invited to everything.

My really good friend (who was my "in" for the group {as friends and as a D&D group}) got me into the game with lots of groveling on my part (PLEEEAAASSEE!!! I'll bring snacks or any other bribe needed).

My parents aren't the kind of folk keen on playing D&D (devil's game), so I had to sneak out and lie to them where I was.

I got there, it was great. We killed a satyr I dropped to below negative hp 3 times in the night, and I have been hooked ever since.

(come to think of it, wasn't this like MY first time???? just kidding :biggrin:)

stygianangel
04-18-2010, 12:06 AM
My first time was at the local gaming/hobby store...I saw that some of my friends played, and asked how I could make a character. When I finally got someone to sit down and help me make one (being gaming illiterate at the time), I soon after joined a game. My first actual gaming memories are kind of disappointing, as I was the "new player" and was virtually ignored by everyone else. Fortunately, I found some more accomplished gamers when I went off to college, who were willing to deal with a newbie and give me advice on what to do. :) I remember my mom being kind of nervous about me starting to play, but I was able to convince her that gaming wasn't "evil" or anything like that...thank goodness. Unfortunately, I'm nervous about telling the rest of my family for the same reason, so I kind of keep it quiet (my dad knows, and some of my extended family do to a degree, but that's it, really).

Eberhardt
06-12-2010, 08:05 AM
Wow, it was in the early 83 I think and it was with Chris a guy on my block. My brother and I were the PC's and he was the GM. We had the book names "Eagle Eye" was mine and I was a dwarf and we played for hours on end that day.

I was hooked immediately and my aunt who worked for Random House which published TSR so she got my brother and me EVERYTHING that they made that she could. I miss those days and her, but it's a good memory.

templeorder
06-12-2010, 05:53 PM
The first time on our own was comical. Glen and Rick and I fumbled through it after spending days reading the materials. I was introduced under the first incarnation of DnD (before it was that), but it was only a couple sessions. A year later i bought the first "blue cover" DnD book and some friends and i tried it ourselves. We would make room after room maps of creatures and just go through it - this is how we ran our first game and did so for a long time. "Treasure and XP" was the rallying cry... plot took a back seat.

BIGKILLA
06-13-2010, 05:24 AM
My first time playing was 1979 at the age of 7, my father was in the navy and from his stories they played a lot while out on cruise. So one summer while he was home he, my older brother 9 and myself played the Village of Homlet, I don't remember a whole lot but I do remember being a Elven Ranger who along with my brother (don't remember his class) went around killing and robbing everyone in town. Suffice it to say we were quickly taken care of by the guards and citizens and I ended up dieing. I remember crying and running away from the table thinking how horrble the game was and that I would never play that junk again. Well a few months later my father decided to give up the roleplaying, I think it was when he got out of the military, so he gave me all his old books and dice and I have been playing ever since.